Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So it's ok to not follow the zone boarding procedure, some of the time?
That's not what I said. In fact my first statement is that it is clearly wrong. My comment is more that zoned boarding on a CRJ is not something to get worked up about.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The problem is when there are 30 people in zone 2 (seen it happen), but only 2 in zone 1.

But then they just use the logic "Oh well there aren't many people in zone 1".
Old May 10, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
There are still agents who refuse to accept Zone 1 people who arrive after the call for other zones has commenced. You walk up into the zone 1 lane a second everyone else busy boarding and nobody summons you, forcing you to assert yourself when you don't feel like it.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
That happens to me occasionally and as a Zone *, it pisses the heck out of me. I can't hear you calling Zone 1/2 (duh) and since they have told me I have to personally notify the gate of my presence, I have already shown them my BP by this time, so they know I am there, *G/deaf. So why should I wait to board in the second batch, after my status? Grrr
Old May 10, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Given CRJ overhead space I find this - along with almost all narrowbodies - to be one of the best aircraft to get priority boarding on.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:36 pm

Flying with family this past week and zone 2 (family zone 5 or whatever)
Went to board during zone 2 and I often get told to go back until zone 5 is called, then I ask can I board with my infant (who has a seat) in zone 2 and rest of family can join later, they roll their eyes and say OK fine you can all board together.

This time was different. He looked at all the tickets, saw I was zone 2 and said we can board together no problem and was nice and polite. I was impressed!
Old May 14, 2017, 6:45 am

8010 YYZ-YGK, gate D3, DH1.

GA announced zone 1.

I head over, and a louse takes a step to the left to block me.

Then the GA steps back to deal with a wheelchair (not a person, a chair).

Then she comes back, announces 1 and 2, and the guy in front of me boards with a zone 4 BP.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:22 pm

739 YYZ-SFO gate F55.

GA announced they wanted people to gate check their bags.

He then proceeded to cross out their zone number, write "2", and tell them to board in zone 2.

First of all, that's not how it's supposed to work.

Second, what is the benefit of boarding early if you don't have a bag?
Old May 14, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
So this is a new feature? Gate check a bag and get promoted to zone 2? Maybe, once I lose status I should take 2 bags so I can check one, get some 2 and have space for the second
Old May 14, 2017, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
So this is a new feature? Gate check a bag and get promoted to zone 2? Maybe, once I lose status I should take 2 bags so I can check one, get some 2 and have space for the second
I've posted before that SFO sometimes allows people with only a personal item can board in the 1/2 line AFTER zone 2 boards.

I had no issue with that at the time, but now that zone 3 can be bought (through preferred seats), I still don't think it's appropriate.

"You have a zone number printed by the system but I'm going to arbitrarily override this without a compelling reason". It's not like you're holding an E50K card and for whatever reason can't get zone 2 to print.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
739 YYZ-SFO gate F55.

GA announced they wanted people to gate check their bags.

He then proceeded to cross out their zone number, write "2", and tell them to board in zone 2.

First of all, that's not how it's supposed to work.

Second, what is the benefit of boarding early if you don't have a bag?
Originally Posted by jc94
Actually, on a YYZ-YQB flight earlier this year people who gate checked their bags were told to board with Zone 1 as a thank you gesture from Air Canada. Not the way it should work at all.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DNAwizard
Actually, on a YYZ-YQB flight earlier this year people who gate checked their bags were told to board with Zone 1 as a thank you gesture from Air Canada. Not the way it should work at all.
I know that's not official policy, but I wouldn't be against this being implemented on flights where people will have to gate check items and especially regional jets. It's not as if someone without a bag boarding before me is going to make much of a difference.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
I know that's not official policy, but I wouldn't be against this being implemented on flights where people will have to gate check items and especially regional jets. It's not as if someone without a bag boarding before me is going to make much of a difference.
The problem is you have people checking their rollaboard while they have an oversized "personal item", and then end up taking up bin space anyway.

Meanwhile, the E35K+ don't have bin space for their one bag, because the FOTSG took it for their oversize backpack.

Everyone in Zone 2 paid for it. Period. Don't cheapen zone 2 (or 1).
Old May 14, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: hahaha
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a question about priority boarding, among other credit card perks, that I couldn't self-answer searching this thread.

I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card (not the Infinite Privilege), and I booked an AE flight reward from PEK -> YYZ.

I don't really know much about airports -- and please correct me if I'm wrong --, but aren't the people at check-in local staff of the airport or major airline which 'hubs' the terminal? i.e. not Air Canada staff?

So will they be able to recognize my flight being an award, and that my card allows for additional perks BECAUSE I'm activating a flight reward? The ones I care about would be:

• One complimentary first checked bag (with Aeroplan flight rewards).
  • Priority check-in and priority boarding (with Aeroplan flight rewards).

Assuming they let me check-in at the priority line in the first place, I'm anticipating they hand me back a BP with Zone 3-5 instead.

How should I deal with these one-time perks and sip and sample a life of Altitude members like so many on this subforum??

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: *$ Green
Here's a though. Move 3/4/5 to 4/5/6. Make 3 families etc, and gate checkers.

​​​​​​Problem solved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.