Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I find boarding flights like AC153 and the other YYZ-YVR widebody flights to be the worst. They usually depart from D39 and D24 which don't have a whole lot of seating space so you end up with gate lice clogging up the whole hallway. When coming from the lounge or another flight trying to push your way to the zone 1/2 lines is incredibly tough.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I find boarding flights like AC153 and the other YYZ-YVR widebody flights to be the worst. They usually depart from D39 and D24 which don't have a whole lot of seating space so you end up with gate lice clogging up the whole hallway. When coming from the lounge or another flight trying to push your way to the zone 1/2 lines is incredibly tough.
Same for pretty much all the 777/787 flights departing YYZ domestic. There was one time I came to D24, I couldn't even get close enough to see the sign for zone numbers or identify any lines. When they called Zone 1 I saw a stream of people zig zagging through the mess. That was the line for zone 1.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've actually found Europe to be worse than Canada in terms of priority boarding. I've never flown AC out of Germany, but I have flown LH numerous times.
Lots of connecting pax in Europe all trying to get on first. Thought LH was using the automated gates which open when you scan your boarding pass. So the GAs do not have to actually do much in terms of boarding. IST can also be a nightmare.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The lack of a designated and protected space for Zone * preboarding is a serious problem at many gates. Combine that with unclear communication and inability to anticipate pre-boarding disabilities pre-identified on the passenger list - I can tell you I probably "barge" in front of Zone 1 from time to time because I am looking for pre boarding, and nobody can communicate to me and tell me where I am supposed to freaking be. Because I am speaking, I might look like a lice but they really do a crappy job dealing with zone * / preboarding in my experience, other than perhaps wheelchair users rolled in by a pusher.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Zone boarding is a mess for AC 15 at YYZ regardless of whether it's gate 75 or 77 or whatever. Or, to be clear, pre-Zone Boarding is irrelevant and a mess.

The poor design of the gate area/boarding process is partly to blame. The pax are partly to blame.

I've watched this zoo for over a year now and I am not sure if it can ever be fixed.

While there is plenty of room to sit at these gates, once people line up for boarding, all bets are off. The lines behind stanchions on the carpet are blocked off until boarding begins. The space is not large to begin with but compounding this is that long walkway/retail hallway in the terminal. The lines from the stanchions to the wall can only have about 10-15 people and then start to turn right or left depending on space.

So, while Zone 1 can "curve" one way and 3-5 can go towards gate 73 for eg. there is nowhere for Zone 2 and it just becomes a giant huddle.

And then there are the personalities who show up well after the lines have established and just walk to the front.

The other morning there was one person who placed herself right at the front of the Zone 1 line, despite 20 people already standing in it. You could see the facial expressions, your perhaps typically Canadian roll-eyes or deep breathing techniques on display to indicate displeasure without being aggressive.

Finally, someone turned to her and said "the end of the line is over there, everyone else was here first"

The same thing happened at line 2.

Watching all of this is a great case study in human behavior and sometimes amusing. But for me and others, these are annoying FWPs and certainly no AC GA is ever going to get involved in turf battles in the Zone lines.

I can't stand YYZ and don't mind saying so. I have found boarding for TPACs at YVR more civilized due to the design of the international gate areas. Same even if boarding at 50 or 51. Even at 43-44 for domestic, it is well spaced and managed.

And then there is the fine dance of zone boarding at TPE, NRT, HND, SIN and even HKG.

So, despite AC and other airlines having these zone lines, design flaws combined with the challenge of herding cats is not enhancing my travel experience.

Interestingly, due to gate design differences at T3, boarding for CX to HKG is nothing like AC to HKG.

And for those of you tired of the complaining, I am more than happy to admit this is a perfect example of FWP, but it is my experience and I'm not enjoying it.

I need a sandwich board
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by quantumofforce

I need a sandwich board
Always reminds me of Die Hard 3.

canadiancow - do you have less issues with your Zone 1 t-shirt?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce

I need a sandwich board
I prefer an Executive Order.

Originally Posted by jc94
Always reminds me of Die Hard 3.

canadiancow - do you have less issues with your Zone 1 t-shirt?
Reactions to the shirt have been more from other passengers, as they're turned away. "Oh he even has his zone number on his shirt!" etc.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: air miles
While I lack knowledge of the layout of gates and waiting areas. A few retractable bollards can be set up directing the queue out to the sides of the table and maybe along the perimeter wall of the waiting area. Rather than allowing the line to form organically and potentially out into hallways.

Would this not keep the front of the gate desk open allowing for travelers with questions to approach the desk as well as preventing the clogging of hallways, etc.

Or would this be too much work?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Hey 24L!

How do they do zoned boarding at NRT and HND for AC flights?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I suffered through AC153 for the first time today. The gate agents paged kids / special assistance etc while there were still probably close to 40-50 people in the zone 2 line (which had been moving). There were some very audible grumblings.

As as an aside, the IFE is great but there is zero shoulder space on those planes in Y and I definitely felt the knees of the person behind me in my un-reclined seat. I'm used to flying short trips (I'm a segments flyer) and this was a particularly miserable experience. I'll try to book more wisely in the future.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
You are making this so much more difficult that it has to be.

The walkway down to the bridge have lots of room. Assign part of the jetway for "Special VIP passengers". Glass walls can be used to create this special area. Anyone who complains about boarding or wants to board before their turn is a "Special VIP passenger, they get their boarding pass scanned immediately and get to enter the "special door" into the "Special VIP area". The special VIP lineup should open 20 minutes prior to regular boarding. This hold area can even have red carpets and plastic roses in pots along the wall. Everyone likes fake plants. An non-functioning cappuccino machine could also be added to keep these guys entertained.

Passengers who board at the correct time use the other door that leads directly down to the aircraft. Once all zones are called. The special automatic doors from the Special VIP area open and these passengers are permitted to go onboard. Perhaps accompanied by classical music to enhance the "customer experience".

Solves the problems. The guys who want to board before their time are given a "reward" for doing so. While at the same time removing congestion around the gate area.

If AC does not want to implement my proposal, perhaps they just give up on the entire system and let people board when they want to.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just got an email from AA.

"Starting March 1, we’re simplifying the boarding process and introducing new boarding group names — numbers 1 through 9. The boarding order will not change, just the group names."

It's been discussed on FT for a while: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-2017-a.html

Essentially, AA has 5 priority boarding groups, 3 economy groups, and 1 basic economy group.

Their process isn't changing, just the numbers.

But it got me thinking:

Should credit cards get the same priority as PY and *G?
Should preferred seats get the same priority as "regular" zone 3, or should they be ahead?
etc.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I just got an email from AA.

"Starting March 1, we’re simplifying the boarding process and introducing new boarding group names — numbers 1 through 9. The boarding order will not change, just the group names."

It's been discussed on FT for a while: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-2017-a.html

Essentially, AA has 5 priority boarding groups, 3 economy groups, and 1 basic economy group.

Their process isn't changing, just the numbers.

But it got me thinking:

Should preferred seats get the same priority as "regular" zone 3, or should they be ahead?
etc.
How many "priority" groups do you need to have before "priority" stops being priority?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by eigenvector
How many "priority" groups do you need to have before "priority" stops being priority?
2 max

Priority 1
Priority 2
Flex
Tango.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: TK *G

But it got me thinking:

etc.
Currently PY, *G, and CC are all Zone 2 on AC. Should they board together? It probably depends on how much profits AC can collect from those group. My guess is PY>CC>*G.

As for preferred seats boarding with zone 3, this should be ok with respect to bin space, as most of the preferred seats are at the front while regular zone 3 passengers sit at the back. However zone 3 is not a priority zone which means if they miss the call for zone 3 they need to line up at the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.