Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
On the rare occasion I fly Y with minimal carry on I tend to board at the time the FAs are saying last call to spend minimum possible time on board.

But that's just me.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bryan Tran
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a question about priority boarding, among other credit card perks, that I couldn't self-answer searching this thread.

I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card (not the Infinite Privilege), and I booked an AE flight reward from PEK -> YYZ.

I don't really know much about airports -- and please correct me if I'm wrong --, but aren't the people at check-in local staff of the airport or major airline which 'hubs' the terminal? i.e. not Air Canada staff?

So will they be able to recognize my flight being an award, and that my card allows for additional perks BECAUSE I'm activating a flight reward? The ones I care about would be:

• One complimentary first checked bag (with Aeroplan flight rewards).
  • Priority check-in and priority boarding (with Aeroplan flight rewards).

Assuming they let me check-in at the priority line in the first place, I'm anticipating they hand me back a BP with Zone 3-5 instead.

How should I deal with these one-time perks and sip and sample a life of Altitude members like so many on this subforum??

Thanks!
Welcome to FT.
I think your question was addressed in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...s-pearson.html
Old May 15, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Here's a though. Move 3/4/5 to 4/5/6. Make 3 families etc, and gate checkers.

​​​​​​Problem solved.
+1. That would work and it would also be less confusing to families with young children.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
I know that's not official policy, but I wouldn't be against this being implemented on flights where people will have to gate check items and especially regional jets. It's not as if someone without a bag boarding before me is going to make much of a difference.
They will likely still have a bag or 'personal item' like a backpack. Just not a rollerboard.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:41 am

I paid $15 for assigned seat on S fare for the Kid, and it put her in Zone 3. Not a "preferred" seat, just a regular seat as opposed to wait-for-OLCI-and-risk-GTE. She was delighted with Zone 3.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I paid $15 for assigned seat on S fare for the Kid, and it put her in Zone 3. Not a "preferred" seat, just a regular seat as opposed to wait-for-OLCI-and-risk-GTE. She was delighted with Zone 3.
Presumably this seat is in the back third of Y? Apparently it's even split between 3-5 (non-Jazz); though from personal experience it feels more like the last 10% if Z3 and about 50% of it is Z5. I did get Z4 from the back exit row pre this "improvement".

Improvement is in quotes because of it's unreliability.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

She's actually quite close to the front, over the wing.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
She's actually quite close to the front, over the wing.
if (status == none)
zone = zone.Ran(1).Ceil()

or something.

AC IT. It's predictable unpredictable; consistently inconsistent.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Data point: Some agents still ignore Zone 1s who line up in the zone 1 lane late in the boarding process.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Have Boarding Zones Changed for Premium Rouge

YYZ-Dub in premium rouge boarding zone is 2. So who is 1?[there is no business class]
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mlbmlb
YYZ-Dub in premium rouge boarding zone is 2. So who is 1?[there is no business class]
Super Elites.

Same as always.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: aeroplan 50K
Thanks, just realized the distinction between international and Caribbean.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA 2P, National Car Exec, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Hi All.

I haven't flown AC in years, certainly not since they introduced zone boarding. So my question is: if I purchase a seat in an exit row on an Airbus A320, can I expect to be placed in the Zone 5 queue? This is what some posters to Seat Guru are claiming they experienced when they'd bought seats in rows 17/18, which if true makes the point of buying those "preferred seats" a ridiculous proposition.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by BarryPeters
Hi All.

I haven't flown AC in years, certainly not since they introduced zone boarding. So my question is: if I purchase a seat in an exit row on an Airbus A320, can I expect to be placed in the Zone 5 queue? This is what some posters to Seat Guru are claiming they experienced when they'd bought seats in rows 17/18, which if true makes the point of buying those "preferred seats" a ridiculous proposition.

In the Wiki at the top of the page, you'll see a link to Air Canada's Zone Boarding page. It explains exactly which customers are in which boarding zone. Your seat and row are only relevant as described, but status and type of ticket purchased are somewhat more important. Other categories are also listed.

Here is is again

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

As for paying for Preferred Seats, the AC page says:

"Customers who have purchased a Preferred seat board with zone 3, at the very start of general boarding. "
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
In the Wiki at the top of the page, you'll see a link to Air Canada's Zone Boarding page. It explains exactly which customers are in which boarding zone. Your seat and row are only relevant as described, but status and type of ticket purchased are somewhat more important. Other categories are also listed.

Here is is again

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

As for paying for Preferred Seats, the AC page says:

"Customers who have purchased a Preferred seat board with zone 3, at the very start of general boarding. "
You forgot to note that AC IT typically pickles out and nevertheless assigns Zone 5 for Preferred Seat customers.

@BarryPeters should also be aware that if there is an aircraft switch, your Preferred Seat assignment will most likely go gonzo and you will end up in seat 99K, because the system isn't smart enough to figure who has status, who purchased preferred seats, and who should be in which Zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.