Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, it changed sometime in 2016. I assume after August.
I've recently experienced a situation where preferred seats ended up being zone 5.

LAX-YYZ - 4 seats with zone 5 boarding
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanRulez
I've recently experienced a situation where preferred seats ended up being zone 5.

Can you go into more details, because that contradicts the site, and being SE, you should NEVER be zone 5

The site specifically says "Customers who have purchased a Preferred seat board with zone 3".

Did you purchase a preferred seat, or did you obtain it in some other way?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:06 am

Can you go into more details, because that contradicts the site, and being SE, you should NEVER be zone 5

The site specifically says "Customers who have purchased a Preferred seat board with zone 3".

Did you purchase a preferred seat, or did you obtain it in some other way?
4 out of 5 on my PNR received zone 5. My bp was correct as it showed S100K-AC*G.
Granted, they weren't purchased" per se but they were award tickets from my SE account.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
4 out of 5 on my PNR received zone 5. My bp was correct as it showed S100K-AC*G.
Granted, they weren't purchased" per se but they were award tickets from my SE account.
That seems right. That is my experience as well. I assume you had to call in to get the preferred seats assigned? The other passengers only get those seats for "free" because they are traveling with you. But I've never had a gate agent refuse to allow them to board with me in Zone 1.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:42 pm

So they shouldn't have been in zone 3, they should have been in zone 1
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:49 pm

So they shouldn't have been in zone 3, they should have been in zone 1
I've never had my family have Zone 1 on Aeroplan bookings (even when on the same PNR). Almost always Zone 5.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by martyYOW
I've never had my family have Zone 1 on Aeroplan bookings (even when on the same PNR). Almost always Zone 5.
Yes, but when the immediate family (plus one non-family travel companion) of an Altitude member travels with the Altitude member, they are entitled to board in the same priority zone regardless of whether they are on the same reservation. The boarding card will not say zone 1 but the entitlement is still there.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Yes, but when the immediate family (plus one non-family travel companion) of an Altitude member travels with the Altitude member, they are entitled to board in the same priority zone regardless of whether they are on the same reservation. The boarding card will not say zone 1 but the entitlement is still there.
Do they also get access to preferred seats same as the SE when flying together on a AE redemption from SE account ?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Do they also get access to preferred seats same as the SE when flying together on a AE redemption from SE account ?
If the SE is on the PNR, they should.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:24 pm

Interestingly enough, the outbound bp's all showed zone 1. Well, until the gate agent had to switch one of the seats on our PNR. Then the updated bp's ended up with zone 5.

However, on the outbound 4 out of 5 showed zone 5 at check-in, with mine showing as zone 1.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:25 pm

Correct.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:38 pm

OK thanks.
Same question if it is not a AE booking. If I book my spouse and me on one PNR will she also have access to preferred seats and priority boarding same as me. Less concerned about the priority boarding as the GAs allow family. I have had different answers from outstation GAs.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
OK thanks.
Same question if it is not a AE booking. If I book my spouse and me on one PNR will she also have access to preferred seats and priority boarding same as me. Less concerned about the priority boarding as the GAs allow family. I have had different answers from outstation GAs.
Same answer. Only difference is that you can usually select the preferred seats online instead of having to call in. Unless something has changed in the last 6 months, I always have to call in to get preferred seats assigned when its an AE booking.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:57 pm

I had this happen to me the other week and assumed it was a glitch. I went back into OLCI and reprinted the BPs and they printed as Zone 3. A glitch it must have been...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by martyYOW
Same answer. Only difference is that you can usually select the preferred seats online instead of having to call in. Unless something has changed in the last 6 months, I always have to call in to get preferred seats assigned when its an AE booking.
Does this also apply if all of us are in Tango on one PNR (SE+3) ? Is there a link somewhere that I can quote from ? Transborder and Hawaii flights just in case there are diff rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.