Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think I've hit a realization why some of us are so much more annoyed by boarding inconsistencies than others.

I recall seeing someone's Altitude dashboard recently, which showed something like 25 AQS for a ton of AQM.

Meanwhile, I took 143 flights on AC metal in 2016.

So the boarding process is a much large component of my Altitude benefits, and something I see much more often than all the long-haul fliers.

On another note, there was a line/gaggle in the 1/2 line for YYZ-SFO AC 759 last night. They called "zone 1 only". It wasn't even 4 deep in the line where someone said "oh I'm zone 2, go around me".

My traveling companion was just walking up to the gate when zone 1 was called, so he cut around the other side, in front of the 3-5 line, and was second to board, while those of us who were trying to line up properly had to wait.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jan 2, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, E50K, Alaska Mileage Plan
Priority boarding question

Hello All,

Question about priority boarding. I have E50K and occasionally fly with co-workers with no status.

Are they able to priority board at the same time I do? What about the MLL or SA lounge? Can they join me?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:27 am

MLL/SA lounge allow a +1. Same with priority boarding on AC. Beyond that, no. YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hydrogen
MLL/SA lounge allow a +1. Same with priority boarding on AC. Beyond that, no. YMMV.
+1.
One guest in the lounges.
Priority boarding upto GA, they rarely turn away if you have one colleague but they may refuse if you show up with a gaggle.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
What about priority checkin and security?
I didn't get turned away when I used priority checkin with a friend (no idea if it was allowed but I didn't fancy the economy lineup and agent didn't seem to have an issue) could I now drag someone through priority security too?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by jc94
I didn't get turned away when I used priority checkin with a friend (no idea if it was allowed but I didn't fancy the economy lineup and agent didn't seem to have an issue) could I now drag someone through priority security too?
Are you P25?

As a P25, you're not even entitled to priority security.

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by jc94
Check in you will be fine bringing along a guest.

Security, it's generally a NO but YMMV.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by Morator
Hello All,

Question about priority boarding. I have E50K and occasionally fly with co-workers with no status.

Are they able to priority board at the same time I do? What about the MLL or SA lounge? Can they join me?

thanks in advance
I've done the whole treatment from beginning to end with of the people in my team. Especially for the lounge, I knew they could turn us away but it was very (very) quiet and we were only coming in for 30 minutes. I was also quite nice and apologetic about it. - - so - being nice can get you a long way.

I would say that for sure - other than for the lounge, you should never have a problem if you are pleasant and nice when asking.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by CanRulez
Are you P25?

As a P25, you're not even entitled to priority security.

https://altitude.aircanada.com/statu...ram-privileges
Yeah sorry I will update my profile when back on a PC
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
YYC-LAX boarding procedure this AM

Had an interesting experience this morning YYC-LAX. They announced pre boarding and EVERYONE went up to board and they just boarded everyone without calling other groups. Never seen this before in my life. Has this happened to anyone else before?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Had an interesting experience this morning YYC-LAX. They announced pre boarding and EVERYONE went up to board and they just boarded everyone without calling other groups. Never seen this before in my life. Has this happened to anyone else before?

Not me. Were you at the gate before pre boarding? Group 1 sometimes goes before pre boards.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by SKYEG
People just wanted to get on the plane before the entry requirements for the USA changed :P.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
People just wanted to get on the plane before the entry requirements for the USA changed :P.
The new entry requirements will be anyone who doesn't follow zone number boarding wil be deported :P
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Not me. Were you at the gate before pre boarding? Group 1 sometimes goes before pre boards.
"Pre-boarding" is not an official term on the AC site, but I've heard it used for people with mobility issues, children under 6, etc.

Which means pre-boarding is zone "2.5".

If you get to the gate for "pre-boarding", you've missed priority (or they failed to do it at all).
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have had the cattle call a couple times when the plane was basically empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.