Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Have this fixed the problem that the zone numbers do not display correctly on boarding passes printed by United (and other Star partners). Until they figure out how to interline zone boarding with their partners the entire system hopeless and should be abandoned.

Perhaps I am placing to much confidence in the ability of IT to collaborate and deliver across the alliance.
I can't recall the other airline, but either AC was able to print a zone number on their BP stock for another airline, or vice versa. But I've only seen this once.

I've definitely heard announcements (though maybe not from AC) along the lines of "If your boarding pass was not printed by [airline], please come up to the desk to see an agent."

Originally Posted by 24left
Who was it who once posted somewhere that:

1. all of these boarding zones were designed to give those that each airlines perceives as more valued customers, first opportunities to board. (eg. You may be in Zone 1, but you obviously don't have to board first)

2. Zone boarding is not efficient

I recall a thread from more than a year ago, where someone posted studies showing efficient "techniques". Since no airline I know of uses "efficient techniques", the only thing we can all hope for is that everyone who supposed to be on a flight does board and departure is close to on-time.
Your second point is not strictly correct. Back to front boarding is not efficient. Or in other words, AC's implementation is not efficient. Zone numbers allow them to do organized random boarding. They just choose not to.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't recall the other airline, but either AC was able to print a zone number on their BP stock for another airline, or vice versa. But I've only seen this once.
My LH (Y) boarding pass had a Z2 on it - printed by AC, but LH ignored it and told me to wait with general boarding. They don't seem to board by zone though.

Your second point is not strictly correct. Back to front boarding is not efficient. Or in other words, AC's implementation is not efficient. Zone numbers allow them to do organized random boarding. They just choose not to.
What would be efficient is to let everyone who knows what they are doing board first and get out of the way. Of course that doesn't help if everyone who boards first sits in xxC and then has to get up to let xxA in.

AC's system isn't ideal but it beats the likes of those low cost carriers who don't even assign seats. Not to say it couldn't be drastically improved; but I think the main area for improvement would be if AC staff actually followed the correct process.

Time for another I work at the airport quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....Your second point is not strictly correct. Back to front boarding is not efficient..
I was referencing something someone else posted.

I have no theories of my own related to using zone theory to board aircraft.
I only watch the process in the gate areas. Fascinating social experiment.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
All things being equal, random boarding is more efficient than back-to-front. But, there's many other variables that can be improved to make back-to-front faster if airlines don't want to take the leap to random boarding. They could begin by asking why ANA - which has a very similar boarding priority to AC - needs 20 minutes to board a 777 while AC needs 40 (and United 50).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Why do I feel this thread should be renamed: "Air Canada introduces zoned hording"?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Further to cow's post about the new "enhanced" 9 boardings zones at AA, I wonder if this now makes AC Zone Boarding look like fun

I thought this quote summed it up nicely, and part of what he says also applies to AC pax.

"Conclusion

This won’t go down easy. Passengers (especially leisure travelers) aren’t used to such complicated processes and making people feel they’re being pushed further and further down the line as it inevitably happen with such a long boarding process will lead to frustration and tension. Especially if you pair it with flight delays and other customer service issues that are common occurrence when flying.

No doubt this was cooked up by some smart focus group and product managers who try to invent the wheel new every now and then but all it will accomplish is the intensify work for the gate agents and annoy customers. Of course part and cause of this ‘solution’ is that American starts to sell boarding privileges as a separate products and also assign them to credit card holders. Of course once you have to accommodate all of these different groups you end up with a mess like this."

http://loyaltylobby.com/2017/02/23/b...complete-mess/

Somewhere in the 9th circle of hell, someone will come up with a NO-ZONE boarding concept and all the airlines will jump on it thinking it's the best thing since sliced cheese.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

pls delete posted in wrong thread
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I never use airline bedding. I have a nice silk sleeping bag liner (weighs around 200 g) that is no trouble to pack in my carry on and dry clean when I get home.

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

They are discussing contact dermatitis here and other fun stuff

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...s-cabin-2.html
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:37 pm

Too many FT tabs open at once.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
"This won’t go down easy. Passengers (especially leisure travelers) aren’t used to such complicated processes and making people feel they’re being pushed further and further down the line as it inevitably happen with such a long boarding process will lead to frustration and tension. Especially if you pair it with flight delays and other customer service issues that are common occurrence when flying."
This is actually an interesting point.

Let's say AC added a zone 0.5, just for me. SE in J boards first. Well, this would actually mean you now have:
1. SE in J
2. SE or J
3. "Priority"
4-6. "Non-priority"

There are still the exact same number of people boarding before the fly-once-a-year-to-see-grandma bunch, but their zone number has been incremented.

Likewise, if you put knock down credit cards to 4, then regular becomes 5-7.

It wasn't that long ago UA had 7, and they reduced it to 5.

I actually wonder if "perfect" enforcement would fix most of our issues. But to see issues, I only have to think as far as Thursday night's AC 754 where you have 28 J, and probably an equivalent number of SEs in Y, plus all the E75Ks who feel they deserve to board in the first 40 people.

Actually, I know the solution. Separate 1 and 2 lines. Done. My biggest issues come from 2s crowding up the 1/2 line, and me having no idea whom I should cut in front of.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Actually, I know the solution. Separate 1 and 2 lines. Done. My biggest issues come from 2s crowding up the 1/2 line, and me having no idea whom I should cut in front of.
Just get a tee shirt that says you're a widget salesman and then you can cut in front of everyone
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: TK *G
I suggest making a 450 zone boarding for 773s. Based on the status, fare paid, check-in time, physical appearance, DYKWIAness, etc, everyone boards in a different zone. GA will call out each special snowflake's name to let them board. I am sure everyone will be pleased and find it easy to follow.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by songsc
I suggest making a 450 zone boarding for 773s. Based on the status, fare paid, check-in time, physical appearance, DYKWIAness, etc, everyone boards in a different zone. GA will call out each special snowflake's name to let them board. I am sure everyone will be pleased and find it easy to follow.
Ok, LOL.

But you gave me an idea...head over to the dollar store and pick up some of those gold star stickers and hand them out at the gate. I could have so much fun with this and I'll report back if AC Zone Boarding had improved.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Gold, Nexus

I've definitely heard announcements (though maybe not from AC) along the lines of "If your boarding pass was not printed by [airline], please come up to the desk to see an agent."
Air New Zealand printed the correct AC zone on their stock for our connecting flights when I flew with them in late 2015. Of course, the AC GA tried to tell us it wasn't the right zone and wasn't valid (possibly because we were a little rough looking from the 14 hour flight from Auckland to YVR). I also had checked in with the AC app and got the same zone number, so they were just being difficult.

ANZ also seemed to get our flights credited to Aeroplan faster than AC, which I found amusing. They're on their IT game.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by macleod199
ANZ also seemed to get our flights credited to Aeroplan faster than AC, which I found amusing. They're on their IT game.
This goes for most other *A carriers when crediting toward AC/AP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.