Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by tcook052
Worked well for me in YUL yesterday boarding zone 1 seated in business class.
Same for me when I was there.

I was so happy I even told the GA about it!

That's when he told me "well, no, it's probably going to end soon, everyone's complaining".

my face when ->
Old May 11, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yvr76
- Anyone in Zone 1 will complain that it's not correctly enforced allowing them to board ahead of Zone 2.
- Anyone in Zone 2 will complain they don't get to board first anymore.
- Anyone in Zone 1/2 will complain that in some cases it's a complete free for all and Zone 3-5 use the priority lanes.
I just want the protocol, as per Andrew Y, to be adhered to.

That is all.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Wait, wait, wait. Was the boarding process horrible at NRT?

When I was there, I don't remember if they had the signage yet.

Nonetheless, Zone boarding was executed flawlessly.

How was the actual boarding process?
As per 24L, even the zone signs do not exist at NRT, it was executed almost flawlessly. There was a couple in PE in front of me and they weren't sure which line they should be in until they asked an agent who then pointed them to the unmarked Zone 2 lane. Someone with an iPad was holding up Zone 2. In the end, there was order and the boarding process was done properly.

I never have a concern with NRT or HND AC staff.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yvr76
- Anyone in Zone 1 will complain that it's not correctly enforced allowing them to board ahead of Zone 2.
- Anyone in Zone 2 will complain they don't get to board first anymore.
- Anyone in Zone 1/2 will complain that in some cases it's a complete free for all and Zone 3-5 use the priority lanes.
Enforce the policy consistently and people will get used to it. The split of Zone 1/2 is quite reasonable and consistent with what US airlines are doing. If Zone 2s are unhappy they're no longer Zone 1, they should fly more to make SE or get into J. Frankly, it's ridiculous that people who pay a $129 annual CC fee (or less) get any priority boarding at all, and in my experience, those are more likely to be the ones complaining than anyone else. (E75Ks like SAP know their place )

Originally Posted by maradori
Don't forget

- Anyone in Zone 1 will complain about the abuse of wheelchairs
If protocol is Zone 1, then Zone 2, then wheelchairs, then 3, then 4, then 5, and they board wheelchairs before zone 1, damned right I'll complain. If they want to put wheelchairs first, change the protocol.

And with wheelchairs, it should be one companion only. I've never seen an abuse this flagrant on AC, but on a UA flight recently, a 15-person extended family (mostly able-bodied adults and teens) all boarded before everyone else because granny was in a wheelchair. Again, I'll complain about that.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I just want the protocol, as per Andrew Y, to be adhered to.

That is all.
Exactly.

For my part, my last few flights on AC, all in April (from YYC to YYZ and YVR, from YTZ to YUL and from YUL to YYC) all did zone boarding correctly. I think that in YYC down the switch gate pier (where they board most of the widebodies) they even had separate zone signs, whereas over in the C pier it's 1-2 and 3-5.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 11, 2015 at 9:06 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old May 11, 2015, 8:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by adam.smith
Enforce the policy consistently and people will get used to it. The split of Zone 1/2 is quite reasonable and consistent with what US airlines are doing. If Zone 2s are unhappy they're no longer Zone 1, they should fly more to make SE or get into J. Frankly, it's ridiculous that people who pay a $129 annual CC fee (or less) get any priority boarding at all, and in my experience, those are more likely to be the ones complaining than anyone else. (E75Ks like SAP know their place )

If protocol is Zone 1, then Zone 2, then wheelchairs, then 3, then 4, then 5, and they board wheelcharis before zone 1, damned right I'll complain. If they want to put wheelchairs first, change the protocol.

And with wheelchairs, it should be one companion only. I've never seen an abuse this flagrant on AC, but on a UA flight recently, a 15-person extended family (mostly able-bodied adults and teens) all boarded before everyone else because granny was in a wheelchair. Again, I'll complain about that.

Agreed. (to the wheelchair abuse)

Oh I know my place. Zone pleeb.

However, wheelchairs are zone 0 though as a FYI. They preboard before eveyone else
Old May 11, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
If protocol is Zone 1, then Zone 2, then wheelchairs, then 3, then 4, then 5, and they board wheelcharis before zone 1, damned right I'll complain. If they want to put wheelchairs first, change the protocol.

Wheelchairs are pre-boarded before zone 1. Families board after zone 2. I think having wheelchairs pre-board makes sense, but agree that should be limited to 1 companion.

I've politely reminded staff regarding zoned boarding protocol when it's been completely disregarded and in most cases just get a shrug. Really by the time it gets to that point it's pretty obvious that the staff is apathetic. 3/4 times it's a UA station.

I wrote in once re: SJU as it was a complete mess (along with priority check-in being non-existent, lack of priority bag handling and zero priority boarding). But I don't really have the inclination to do this each time it's not handled properly, nor should I.

I think that AC has a bit more work to do on this front until it's more consistent across the system, both at AC and non-AC stations.

Last edited by yvr76; May 11, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Sorry, got my thinking garbled in my original post, I was lumping wheelchairs together with people needing extra time and families with small children, which isn't correct. Wheelchairs first, obviously.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Oddly, I found myself holding a Zone 2 boarding pass a couple days ago for a domestic award, in Y, booked using UA miles. I don't currently hold status on AC, UA, or any *A airline.

I certainly wasn't going to complain, but I'm not sure how that happened.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Okay, frequent flyers are the problem.

Currently waiting to board the MegaDo flight, and there's licing like I've never seen.
Old May 12, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Okay, frequent flyers are the problem.

Currently waiting to board the MegaDo flight, and there's licing like I've never seen.
Hey, I called that since day 1!

"Frequent flyers pissing off other frequent flyers by not respecting the rules!"

But about SMD6, do you event know who they are?
Old May 12, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Enforce the policy consistently and people will get used to it.
Agreed ... and this applies to passengers, and GA's.

I was boarding in CLT last week, and the GA correctly announced (read) the pre-boarding announcement ("we're boarding by zones, etc, etc"), and it was all looking hopeful.

Then she started the actual boarding with the announcement, "Now boarding zone 1, only zone 1, that's super-elites and elites" ... and chaos ensued. I think her intent was good - but she confused it by trying to explain the zones, rather than just stick to the numbers.

I'd give her an A for effort, D for execution.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AC100K MM, IHG Spire, Mariott Bonvoy lifetime titanium
Licing is noticeably worse. Wonder if this is because of zone boarding or because of the luggage charge where everyone is trying to get on asap to have room for carry ons.

Enforcement of zone boarding is improving but still spotty. Have seen no checking at all during a recent flight out of YHZ. Then again, have also seen SE75s playing dumb when caught in YOW trying to board during zone 1 by saying "isn't this priority boarding?'
Old May 14, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
My apologies, because I'm sure the answer is on one of these 122 pages. I'm just not sure which one.

I'm flying tomorrow with my non-status spouse and we're on different PNRs. I have Zone 1 she has Zone 4/5. What are the GAs doing under these circumstances?
Old May 14, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Academic
My apologies, because I'm sure the answer is on one of these 122 pages. I'm just not sure which one.

I'm flying tomorrow with my non-status spouse and we're on different PNRs. I have Zone 1 she has Zone 4/5. What are the GAs doing under these circumstances?
In my handful of experiences traveling with Zone 956 peons, I simply tell the GA they are with me and they're cool with it.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YVR boarding for AC 1848 right now.

An automated message said something like "This flight has priority boarding. Passengers in zone 1 and 2 are now welcome to board."

WHY DOES THAT MESSAGE EXIST?????
Old May 14, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone from AC please clarify the (updated) zone boarding rules

Originally Posted by canadiancow
YVR boarding for AC 1848 right now.

An automated message said something like "This flight has priority boarding. Passengers in zone 1 and 2 are now welcome to board."

WHY DOES THAT MESSAGE EXIST?????
Either the message is wrong, or Andrew Y is wrong.

We really need clarification here on what the deal is. It seems so inconsistently muddled that we have no idea what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.