Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE
Seems like some outstations still don't get how AC's zone boarding is supposed to work - complete mess at boarding for MAD-YYZ yesterday.

Boarded families with kids first, followed by a bunch of people at the front of the Zone 3-5 line. After that proceeded to call Zone 1, but the combined Zone1/2 lineup was a mess, as a bunch of Zone 2's were blocking the line.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by gcashin
Seems like some outstations still don't get how AC's zone boarding is supposed to work - complete mess at boarding for MAD-YYZ yesterday.

Boarded families with kids first, followed by a bunch of people at the front of the Zone 3-5 line. After that proceeded to call Zone 1, but the combined Zone1/2 lineup was a mess, as a bunch of Zone 2's were blocking the line.
Nice to see after four years things haven't changed much.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21458824-post11.html
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Someone should start a wiki and we maintain a list of outstations that continue to be piss poor at this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Someone should start a wiki and we maintain a list of outstations that continue to be piss poor at this.
Would it be a shorter list if we just listed the ones that were good?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SearsTower
Would it be a shorter list if we just listed the ones that were good?
SFO
YXE
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
SFO
YXE
YXX, I understand, doesn't have a lot of problems at the boarding gate these days.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
YXX, I understand, doesn't have a lot of problems at the boarding gate these days.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:00 pm

Plane Change - Seat Assignment Now Premium

I'm flying YVR-YYZ roundtrip on an Aeroplan award. Originally, my seat assignment was 19A on an Airbus A320-100/200, BUT the aircraft was changed, now a 767-300ER - and the seat assignment appears to have stayed the same...but now the seat map is showing it as a premium seat (on both the outbound and returning flights).

With the new zones, I'd ideally like to get something near the rear of the plane to ensure I won't have a problem with overhead storage. But, the premium seats appear to board first anyway, so maybe that's not an issue?

BUT...maybe I should just change the seat now, since I suspect I'll likely get bumped anyway when they realize I didn't pay for it? I'd hate to get bumped last minute and end up in the middle seat by the toilets...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by pokee
I'm flying YVR-YYZ roundtrip on an Aeroplan award. Originally, my seat assignment was 19A on an Airbus A320-100/200, BUT the aircraft was changed, now a 767-300ER - and the seat assignment appears to have stayed the same...but now the seat map is showing it as a premium seat (on both the outbound and returning flights).

With the new zones, I'd ideally like to get something near the rear of the plane to ensure I won't have a problem with overhead storage. But, the premium seats appear to board first anyway, so maybe that's not an issue?

BUT...maybe I should just change the seat now, since I suspect I'll likely get bumped anyway when they realize I didn't pay for it? I'd hate to get bumped last minute and end up in the middle seat by the toilets...
I don't think AC will notice and take away your seat unless there is another equipment change or something.

As for bin space, my observation is that as long as you are under the allowance, you don't have to gate check and things will be sorted out onboard.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect I'll likely get bumped anyway when they realize I didn't pay for it?
I would be surprised.

Just like, at the gate they assign people to premium" seats too. At no cost.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC*A

19A is actually a really good seat for baggage, since it's next to the mid-aircraft galley (no middle seats also trying to use those bins)!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold

As others have said 19A is a good seat legroom and bin wise. I doubt AC would remove you from the seat. I've had this exact situation happen to me where I selected 14A on the 763, then the aircraft was changed to a 789. 14A on the 789 was a preferred seat in the PY cabin and that's where I ended up sitting.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Orcair
19A is actually a really good seat for baggage, since it's next to the mid-aircraft galley (no middle seats also trying to use those bins)!
Good to know that 19A is an okay seat - and I've also read the good news on this thread that YVR has the individual zone lines now.

Does anyone know if my boarding pass will print Zone 3, simply because my seat is a preferred seat? OR will it likely print Zone 5, either because i didn't pay for the preferred seat, or because I'm flying on an award?

Despite having more overhead space, it would suck to have to board last, and have to try to fit BOTH my rollerbag and my personal item in the overhead...although, this could end up being the case anyway on my return home to YVR, if my flight connecting in in YYZ is late...

Last edited by pokee; Jul 26, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Paying or not paying is unlikely to affect the likelihood of AC putting you into Zone 3 (odds aren't good). Print the page that says a preferred seat is Zone 3 and be prepared to queue and argue at the airport.

Technically, your personal item goes under the seat in front of you. Though I'm not sure what ACs rules are when one doesn't have a seat in front of them to use.

You can always line up as Zone 3 when they call them and if they say no you are Zone 5 (rare) tell them it's a preferred seat that means you are entitled to Z3 boarding.

Or you may get Z*. Which they now often announce as being allowed to board last. When your hope of a bin is about 0.1.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
There are still some stations and gates where separate zone 1 and zone 2 signs point to the same lane.

Yet, they have single Zone 1/2 signs printed and used, so why not use them? Plus at these gates there's ample space for separate lanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.