Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Newb question but why wouldn't AC use multiple gates for boarding? Ie. Business class boards at gate x, which connects to the fore boarding door. Prem economy and economy board at gate x(+/-)1 which connects to a middle boarding door. For example on the 787 (which is now the most common wide body) business would board on the fore boarding door (L1?) while everyone else boards at the second boarding door just before the premium economy cabin (L2?). Is this a restriction with the airport or the airline?
It's not common but theydo this often at LHR.

Originally Posted by 24left
Others here with knowledge or airport set-up and AC will likely have a better technical answer but it has been posted before that other airlines using wide bodies at many other stations do board through 2 doors and maybe that's why SQ and BR and ANA can board a 777 in 20 minutes.

On many of my morning wide bodies to YVR for eg., the 777 gets gate 39 while the earlier 789 gets gate 41 - where everyone boards at L1. This leaves J pax, SEs, MMs etc all boarding first and then the entire rest of the pax hitting you over the head with their backpacks and other items while passing through J and PE to get to Y.

I have no idea why the jet bridge at 41 goes to L1 and not L2...
I believe you are talking about departing from YYZ.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
...I believe you are talking about departing from YYZ.
yes
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75k, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Platinum
Originally Posted by yosemite1
I wore sweats today, joggers and a fleece, ill admit to being younger than the average person you see board in Zone 1. But the amount of looks I’m getting for standing in this Zone 1 line is crazy. (Flying J fwiw)

edit: even the AC Agent at the gate TRIPLE checked my BP.
I've had the same thing happen to me many times... On long-hauls I'm always in sweats and a hoodie.

I usually just smile at the person from my pod / PY seat when they are heading back to Y. I learned a long time ago never to judge a book by its cover.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ottguy
I've had the same thing happen to me many times... On long-hauls I'm always in sweats and a hoodie.

I usually just smile at the person from my pod / PY seat when they are heading back to Y. I learned a long time ago never to judge a book by its cover.
I never judge a FOTSG by their hoodie.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by ottguy

I never judge a FOTSG by their hoodie.

I hear that, I normally shake it off when zone 1 gets called and I walk up and people see me start walking onto the plane. Just kinda lame that it happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
If one seeks respect from others one starts with respecting oneself. If you choose to dress like a slob, that is your right and no one should say anything otherwise; however, if people give you the evil eye, then don't be surprised.

I don't often comment on this thread but I often make a funny face when the younger members on this forum choose to complain about prejudices shown given their choices...

On this particular thread, my comment would be, "don't be surprised how others treat you given how you treat yourself".
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:21 pm
alc

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
If one seeks respect from others one starts with respecting oneself. If you choose to dress like a slob, that is your right and no one should say anything otherwise; however, if people give you the evil eye, then don't be surprised.

I don't often comment on this thread but I often make a funny face when the younger members on this forum choose to complain about prejudices shown given their choices...

On this particular thread, my comment would be, "don't be surprised how others treat you given how you treat yourself".
I am not going to agree or disagree on your post, but I do have a question:

Are you suggesting sitting in J or a SE need to have formal dress code?

A 7yr old boy become SE is unacceptable or need to where a custom made tuxedo in order to be Z1 or else need to board Z5 because Z5 are the one that can dress like a slob? I am just trying to understand your comment, I really do, as I am not sure how we choose to dress has anything to do with Zone boarding... well I guess unless the PAX choose to be Super Underpants (page 1 on New Release btw ), then I don't want that PAX on my plane, where I am in J or Y or last row in the plane.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Just a reminder that this is not a dress code in J thread but rather a zone boarding thread so let's stick to that thread topic please.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:47 am

I treat myself well, and Wear comfortable clothes.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus

I will say I don't consider what I wore to make me "a slob"... Trendy comfort wear is what I would describe it as.

I'm going to let this rest now so we can get back on topic.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:56 pm

Quick question.. Recent E50K (likely first and last time) - can a friend traveling on the same flight but different PNR board together in zone 2?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyCsG
Quick question.. Recent E50K (likely first and last time) - can a friend traveling on the same flight but different PNR board together in zone 2?
I did a forum search for the keyword "boarding" in the thread title, and I got this master thread on zoned boarding as the first hit:

Yes, your friend can join you in Zone 2. Just make sure you mention it to the GA otherwise your friend might be told to do the Walk 'O Shame.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I did a forum search for the keyword "boarding" in the thread title, and I got this master thread on zoned boarding as the first hit:

You have such a talent!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
You have such a talent!
As a FOTSG, I try my best to impress the tough crowd here.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
AC 759 YYZ-SFO.

They started with 1+2. On a PLH route.

And of course, one of the GAs had major issues, which I was ready to blame on the passenger. But then I had the GA.

Error, doc check required.

Except my PNR on her other screen said DOC OK.

And she wanted my passport, not NEXUS, even though I checked in with NEXUS.

So I fished it out, gave it to her, she swiped it.

Then scanned me again.

Barcode error.
Barcode error.

She typed in 1D.

Doc check required.

She sent me to the other GA (as I was the only remaining 1+2), he scanned my BP, and it worked just fine.

It seems like one of the terminals was acting up.

So not only were 1 and 2 called together, but due to system issues, I was last of that group to board.

Luckily there was plenty of bin space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.