Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Another friendly reminder to some here that the zoned boarding "protocol" was not meant to necessarily improve boarding times.
I am not necessarily referring to the recent above posts. This is a general reminder.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Another friendly reminder to some here that the zoned boarding "protocol" was not meant to necessarily improve boarding times.
I am not necessarily referring to the recent above posts. This is a general reminder.
From an old article...

Yiu said the zone method didn’t yield a time savings, but it offered a better customer experience and made it easier for customer-service agents to enforce the boarding processing with zone numbers.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:19 pm

In September, I was sitting beside my gate in YYZ Int with a clear view of a departing AC flight at the next gate. It was total chaos. I think it took them over an hour to board the plane... the GAs were shouting and the Y passengers (not going to call them lice) were wandering by all over the place. By contrast, I was on BR35 to TPE.... everything was organized (including attendants to board wheelchair'ed passengers. They had staff holding up placards with the zones that passengers were to line up behind and a pair of GAs inspecting everyone's ticket. I doubt if the actual boarding process took more than 20 minutes (and if it did, not by much). The BR staff were all very polite and had everything in hand.

I'm not sure why the difference... but it was a really strange contrast side by side (they didn't depart at the same time).

But what do I know... I don't work at the airport.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I agree.

But.

I also believe that some (many?) GA's believe that if they rush / converge / combine / overlap the boarding of various zones, they will be able to improve boarding times (and more importantly, from their perspective, on-time departures ... a stat that we know AC tracks and cares about).

I don't agree with them. And more importantly, I agree with you () ... that the various boarding zones are actually more about delivering good customer service to AC's frequent flyers, than they are about a short term on-time-departure stat.

Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of the boarding processes everywhere.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Flew YOW>YYZ earlier, they boarded 1&2 together. Maybe thats a common practice for smaller airports / flights?
No complaints from me though, I just walked on
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by yosemite1
Flew YOW>YYZ earlier, they boarded 1&2 together. Maybe thats a common practice for smaller airports / flights?
No complaints from me though, I just walked on
This is not that common in YOW...It happens some times in YOW for flights to YYZ, but not all the time. Usually things are done correctly. Perhaps the boarding time was a few minutes behind so the GA thought they could expedite things a little.

I find this frustrating when they do this....Being given the benefit of boarding in Zone 1 as an SE, on such a flight there will be maybe 10-12 Zone one passengers.....but there are probably 40-50 Zone 2 passengers. When they call them together, we now have 50-60 Zone 1/2 passengers and the benefit offered to me by AC is now lost.

I do find that they board Zones 1 and 2 together more frequently when I fly in single cabin aircraft (ie YVR-YLW) where there are only a couple or a few Zone 1 passengers.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Quoting from a different thread because my reply is more suited here.

Originally Posted by seks
AC agent at priority checkin was gonna chrg me for my check-in luggage even though i presented her my passport and td ap visa infinite. Explained to her about the $0 fee. She kinda seem confused but eventually gave in after fiddling on her system.

Sitting at the gate area since boarding supposedly should be soon (although i dont even see a plane docked at the gate yet lol). My econ tic says zone 5. Do u show the visa card again to get priority boarding?
I'm actually not a fan of GAs allowing any exceptions.

Not that I have an issue when you're legitimately entitled, but I've seen NUMEROUS foreign*G go up during zone 1 and say "I'm Star Gold" (card in hand) and be allowed to board.

If the zone on your BP is wrong, tough. Complain to whomever.

As soon as you allow any exceptions, you end up with dozens of incorrect exceptions every single flight.

It's one thing to say "I'm zone 2 and this is my companion". It's quite another to walk up with a credit card and a family of four zone 5 BPs, and say "I should be zone 2". The GA has no way of determining if your card is still active, etc.
j_the_p and RangerNS like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Not that I have an issue when you're legitimately entitled, but I've seen NUMEROUS foreign*G go up during zone 1 and say "I'm Star Gold" (card in hand) and be allowed to board.

As soon as you allow any exceptions, you end up with dozens of incorrect exceptions every single flight.

It's one thing to say "I'm zone 2 and this is my companion". It's quite another to walk up with a credit card and a family of four zone 5 BPs, and say "I should be zone 2". The GA has no way of determining if your card is still active, etc.
Unfortunately, it is now prevalent with GAs improperly letting people by. Once in awhile you will see enforcers, which I welcome, but the majority just DGAF. par for the course...
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Following OLCI, the boarding zone for my Aeroplan award flight was Zone 2 with the AC*CC (Ihave a TD Aeroplan Visa)mention. Then I changed the ff number through “ manage check-in “ to my United Mileage Plus account then back to my Aeroplan number but it is no longer showing Zone 2 with the AC*CC mention.

Any way to get back my Zone 2 ?

thanks
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Following OLCI, the boarding zone for my Aeroplan award flight was Zone 2 with the AC*CC (Ihave a TD Aeroplan Visa)mention. Then I changed the ff number through “ manage check-in “ to my United Mileage Plus account then back to my Aeroplan number but it is no longer showing Zone 2 with the AC*CC mention.

thanks
i usually get the concierge to fix such issues.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I for one give up on zone boarding and just board when-even where doing interlined flights between AC and United. An AC issued United boarding pass does not always a boarding zone. The same holds for a United issued boarding pass for AC.

Both these airlines appear to want antitrust immunity to better co-ordinate their operations. Perhaps that special legal standing is also required to print the zone boarding information on each others card.

If it is zone 1 or 2 it is pretty much irrelevant. You are still going to have lots of bin space. The aircraft is still going to depart on time. I could see being worked up about boarding zone 1, 2 and 3 together. But boarding zone 1 and 2 together is a non-issue from a customer service outcome perspective.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
In certain narrow bodies, I’ve struggled in J boarding like 8th in Zone 1 so does make a difference.

Plus it’s an advertised perk. Wide bodies fine, narrow bodies I want to board before credit card holders if I’m in J.

Or guarantee me space. Near my seat.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

thanks
​​​​​​​I’d try checkin agent or even MLL if you have access. As I assume you have no/P status as a CC Z2.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by jc94
In certain narrow bodies, I’ve struggled in J boarding like 8th in Zone 1 so does make a difference.

Plus it’s an advertised perk. Wide bodies fine, narrow bodies I want to board before credit card holders if I’m in J.

Or guarantee me space. Near my seat.
I’d try checkin agent or even MLL if you have access. As I assume you have no/P status as a CC Z2.
That's all that really matters. If they are going to advertise something they have to deliver. No matter how minuscule this issue is, it drives me nuts! Having that option of boarding first on a full narrowbody flight is pretty valuable.

I board last 90% of the time lol.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I for one give up on zone boarding and just board when-even where doing interlined flights between AC and United. An AC issued United boarding pass does not always a boarding zone. The same holds for a United issued boarding pass for AC.

Both these airlines appear to want antitrust immunity to better co-ordinate their operations. Perhaps that special legal standing is also required to print the zone boarding information on each others card.

If it is zone 1 or 2 it is pretty much irrelevant. You are still going to have lots of bin space. The aircraft is still going to depart on time. I could see being worked up about boarding zone 1, 2 and 3 together. But boarding zone 1 and 2 together is a non-issue from a customer service outcome perspective.
i disagree. Boarding as part of legit zone 1 and only zone 1 can make a big difference for me, when I really actually want to board first with other Zone 1s.. I rarely use this perk as I like to board last, but when used and implemented properly, I am thankful for it. Also, this is a bigger deal for me on transcon narrowbodies.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
AC7616 YYZ-DCA Zone 1 and 2 called together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.