Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Some clearly are clueless. Some choose to think the 'rules' don't apply to them. And I really do think that the rest just want to get in position to board ASAP so they can stuff their bags in the precious remaining overhead space.

I sometimes wonder how much of this problem is related to the egregious amounts that airlines charge for checked bags, but that's a whole other topic.
I can't imagine anyone boarding in zone 2 really has to worry about bag fees (yes yes I know there are exceptions and limitations).

My trip to Europe over New Years required I board early for my AC flights (E75 and 321), even though I was in J. LH within Europe was really good about policing J bins. Wide bodies don't require anything in J.

My next trip is SFO-YYZ-MUC-YYZ-SFO, and I'll be traveling with a laptop bag. I'll board when I feel like it. But I still like the option of getting on before zone 2.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Part of the problem is some people are clueless or just inconsiderate. If those people leave their small items such as lap top, purse on the floor rather then take up precious room in the space above and also put their winter jackets in at the end, it would lessen the stress of and the need for getting on the plane early.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Lots of talk here about Z1 & Z2 being called at the same time. Most of the time its not a big deal, but can be annoying when the Z2 person in front of me has a spouse and 4 bags and holds everyone up.

What I found more annoying though was the SE guy who boarded the plane, sat in J, and then loudly called the concierge on his phone to complain about the GA calling zone 1 and zone 2 together. He stayed on the phone most of the boarding process, and everyone that boarded heard the SE whining. Certainly did not help the image of an SE!!

Leave the whining to this forum!!
I couldn't get on the internet.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: *$ Green
One time I saw an SE walk up to the GA barking and waggling his fingers saying the GA doesn't know how to do his job as Z1 being separate from Z2 is a benefit for his loyalty.

Jokes on him because the GA actually called Z1 before he got there.

Or maybe we should make a new rule, Z2 is not allowed to board until all the Z1 have decided to board.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
One time I saw an SE walk up to the GA barking and waggling his fingers saying the GA doesn't know how to do his job as Z1 being separate from Z2 is a benefit for his loyalty.

Or maybe we should make a new rule, Z2 is not allowed to board until all the Z1 have decided to board.
While I can see that situation, I find it's FAR more common for all these scenarios:

1. Zone 1 is called with zone 2
2. Zone 1 is called, and long before the zone 1s have a chance to board, zone 2 is called
3. Zone 1 is called, but no enforcement is done, so by the time these people have finished boarding, half the plane has boarded

I've had a few flights where the GA shouted "is there anyone else in zone 1?"

I stepped forward, raised my hand, and said "YES!", and was able to board before zone 2. That was a nice surprise.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had a few flights where the GA shouted "is there anyone else in zone 1?"

I stepped forward, raised my hand, and said "YES!", and was able to board before zone 2. That was a nice surprise.
This happens once in awhile at YYZ.

At YUL I often see an additional agent policing the Zones as their main duty.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: *$ Green
I've seen the "manual" Z1 calls too by patrolling agents. Wouldn't call it rare.

So new rule, no one is allowed to board unless all SEs have boarded first.
​​​​​​
Yhztraveller likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad
This happens once in awhile at YYZ.

At YUL I often see an additional agent policing the Zones as their main duty.
Cow would have liked the boarding of my YUL-YQB flight this morning! 1st announcement was "general boarding". They didn't even bother with the zones.

Of course, there were only 10 people on the Q400....
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

sigh

I can only imagine now the concierge felt on the other end of the phone.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Cow would have liked the boarding of my YUL-YQB flight this morning! 1st announcement was "general boarding". They didn't even bother with the zones.

Of course, there were only 10 people on the Q400....
I've experienced that a lot. Nothing wrong with it there.

It's the full 767 "now boarding zones 1 and 2" I have an issue with.

Originally Posted by lcohen999
sigh

I can only imagine now the concierge felt on the other end of the phone.
One time I had an issue at TB check-in at YVR.

I mentioned it to the lounge agent, to find out if there was someone at the airport I could talk to, or if I should just write in to the general address.

I was very quickly put on the phone with the concierge, whom of course can't do anything.

But I could easily see how one might be conditioned to call the concierge to complain.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium Rouge, on a 763. The horror. Smallish bins in front are not really sufficient for the carryons of the people in front. Good thing I was one of the first to board. Plus, they don't seem to have closets for coats. OTOH the SD on that flght was very proactive and efficient at rearranging and playing the luggage puzzle.

Then of course, obviously it's much worse in Y. So boarding takes forever and in the end they need to check more bags, delaying the flight. No wonder OTP it going down the drain.

Anyway, good thing that on my way back I am on a 319 I suppose. Still Rouge but previous experience was not too bad.

On the plus side, the rouge Ipads are much better than the small mainline screens.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:17 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Another experience for me to chime in on from CUN.
Gate lice count is approx 120.
I go to gate and mention to agent that I hope they will call zone 1 first as the boarding area is jammed. The agent says yes of course.

2 mins later , zone 1 and 2 are called together.

I go back to desk and mentioned that they are not following the rules. They say they know , but the flight is late.

For the record, I've been told this 4 times in Cun in the last 11 months.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by RZR
I go back to desk and mentioned that they are not following the rules. They say they know , but the flight is late.
Ah, the broken logic of a front-line worker. Breaking the rule designed and proven to help the problem you care about most.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I've been through CUN over 15 times in the last 6 years. Your experiences are consistent with what I've had.

Also, my parents were on AC143 YYZ-YYC yesterday(zone 3), and they mentioned zone 3-5 were all called at once Because of this, they missed out on overhead space(A32x, oversold). They didn't line up in the zone 3 line like Gate lice because they assumed it would be called before 4/5. Nope. They were stuck in the back of zone 3 with 4/5 moving forward so they boarded almost last. Felt so bad for them. Purposely picked seats in the back for Zone 3 and it was me that gave them this advise, and to travel carry on only. Sigh .
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So, AC CUN sucks...

I don't think I've read any positive reviews of AC CUN operations (contract workers) here on FT. Luckily, this FOTSG doesn't plan to go there anytime soon.

(This post is in relation to the above posts regarding CUN zone boarding lack of SOP adherence)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.