Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
I wan't the only one to post here on the FT Tech Support page

Images are not visible or posting
Thanks. I just added my post there.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I wan't the only one to post here on the FT Tech Support page

Images are not visible or posting

Also, it seems the Direct Link I'm trying top upload from postimage is not working with the FY picture icon
I now just directly type in the IMG tags myself. In between the open and close tag, the link should have a file extension. Sometimes the link pointers (that look like pure gobbledygook) don't work.

Anyway, if J passengers are called Signature Class passengers, that might make think that they're all entitled to the Signature Suite.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

Would make sense, Z3 remains P25, preferred and comfort fares and Basic defaults to Z6 along with those in the front “third” of Y.
That makes perfect sense (though I'd probably just make Tango/Flex 4 and 5, and only put Basic in 6).

However, those signs have been floating around the outstations for years. The funny thing is that most of the planes at those stations don't even have a zone 5 (Express only goes to 4).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There are photos of those from YQM upthread.

The new signs are coloured differently.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That makes perfect sense (though I'd probably just make Tango/Flex 4 and 5, and only put Basic in 6).

However, those signs have been floating around the outstations for years. The funny thing is that most of the planes at those stations don't even have a zone 5 (Express only goes to 4).
Quite right about the colour, I hadn't noticed that. I also wasn't aware that these things had been kicking around for a while. I guess most of my flying is to/from hubs (or the not-hub where I live ) and not enough outstations.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Quite right about the colour, I hadn't noticed that. I also wasn't aware that these things had been kicking around for a while. I guess most of my flying is to/from hubs (or the not-hub where I live ) and not enough outstations.
I've never seen a Zone 6 sign for AC But it's possible I fly less than you and cow.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
I've never seen a Zone 6 sign for AC But it's possible I fly less than you and cow.
I don't fly much; I'm just a bottom-feeder SE, according to some
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't fly much; I'm just a bottom-feeder SE, according to some
Hey, at least you're still above E75K. @:-)

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:20 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
In BNE departures last Friday, one of the Gate Agents not only walked the entire Air New Zealand lounge looking for AC passengers, he stopped by and told us when we would be boarding and when to leave the lounge.

He must have a good memory, because at boarding time, he was also waiting in the hallway outside the gate for us Zone 1s and basically held boarding for Zone 2+ until those of us from the lounge had showed up. Three gate agents made short work of getting the Zone 1s onboard.

First time I've had that experience, especially as a lowly E50K.
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
In BNE departures last Friday, one of the Gate Agents not only walked the entire Air New Zealand lounge looking for AC passengers, he stopped by and told us when we would be boarding and when to leave the lounge.

He must have a good memory, because at boarding time, he was also waiting in the hallway outside the gate for us Zone 1s and basically held boarding for Zone 2+ until those of us from the lounge had showed up. Three gate agents made short work of getting the Zone 1s onboard.

incredible, that sounds like actual amazing service.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
incredible, that sounds like actual amazing service.
True that - I (and possibly others) felt like a rock star.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I posted this on March 10. It seemed like an "early" release of the new look.

Saw this last weekend at YYZ Gate 39

New Zone signage? To match the new "look".

Other zones still had "toothpaste"

In the new Signature Service video, we see this. I hope that AC is able to roll out all of it in short order as the mix of the new look and the old toothpaste may be confusing for some.

Diabeetus likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
From YYJ this morning, two pax with E50K tags, yet their boarding passes said Zone 1. This is on a DH4
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
From YYJ this morning, two pax with E50K tags, yet their boarding passes said Zone 1. This is on a DH4
If I were AC and wanted to make boarding zones as correct as possible, I'd ignore the fare class and look only at the fare basis code.

For example, looking at this ticket of mine (and ignoring my status), you'll note the first segment has a P...EL (P class, business lowest) fare basis, but is booked into M class (since it's a single-cabin aircraft).

I've paid for business class, and am only seated in economy because there is no business cabin. I am entitled to all business class perks, including zone 1 boarding.

Otherwise, someone on a B fare would get zone 2, and I'd get zone 3 or 4, which makes no sense.

DNAwizard and quantumofforce like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

Great service. Easier to do at an outstation where there is only one AC flight leaving at that time. Who handles AC out there? Is it one of the ground handling companies or another airline such as Air New Zealand.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Great service. Easier to do at an outstation where there is only one AC flight leaving at that time. Who handles AC out there? Is it one of the ground handling companies or another airline such as Air New Zealand.
Sadly, I don't remember the uniform of those I interacted with. But the little Canadian flags at the check-in desk were cute too.

I did provide formal feedback to ACA on the overall experience though. Hopefully some of those involved will get to the hear the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.