Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Having been flying around on BEH/DH3/DH4 flights in a group of seven zone 1ers, I'm noticing an upsetting pattern.

The GA calls zone 1. The seven of us board. But everyone else assumes we're not zone 1, so by the time they call zone 2, we have zone 4 in line behind us.
It would be interesting if those in zone 4 ended up in front of the seven zone 1ers.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
They read FT! They read FT!.
As in :

Yup, we know that 787 seats spontaneously deflate. But we don't care.

We know the Concierge service is failing. But we don't care.

And so on.
BarrieTravelGuy, jc94 and smallmj like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
So here's the TL DR version of how AC can learn from Chinese Mainland Carriers (Hainan, China Eastern, Shanghai Airline)
1 - Board business and economy at once, but special line-up for business/FF members on Single - Aisle airplanes
2 - Start boarding process 10 minutes prior to published time and levy penalty on those responsible everytime boarding is delayed by 10 minutes
3 - Offer gate checked pax priority boarding by making announcements 20-25 minutes prior to boarding (Which Vueling does really well)

Instead of saying:

Say:
The carriers (Chinese Mainland carriers) you list above are not the only ones that do similar to what you describe (except for the penalty portion of #2 ).

Regarding #1 , did you know AC does this at some ML stations?

Regarding #2 , how are the penalties levied? What is the penalty? Who decides a passenger is the one delaying boarding by "10 minutes"?

Last edited by yyznomad; May 30, 2018 at 9:40 am
Old May 30, 2018, 10:20 am

Who decides a passenger is the one delaying boarding by "10 minutes"?
People who work at an airport, obviously, because all of us around here know that they know more than any of us will ever know.

After all, we are just customers.
jc94 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
The carriers (Chinese Mainland carriers) you list above are not the only ones that do similar to what you describe (except for the penalty portion of #2 ).

Regarding #1 , did you know AC does this at some ML stations?

Regarding #2 , how are the penalties levied? What is the penalty? Who decides a passenger is the one delaying boarding by "10 minutes"?
For #2 , It should be a simple KPI that ties to end of year performance review and bonus. I am not sure what you meant who decides. If boarding did not begin within ten minutes (or 15 or 20?) of the published time, a quick report should be filled out to explain the reasoning behind the delay, it will be reviewed and dings handed out to those responsible.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
For #2 , It should be a simple KPI that ties to end of year performance review and bonus. I am not sure what you meant who decides. If boarding did not begin within ten minutes (or 15 or 20?) of the published time, a quick report should be filled out to explain the reasoning behind the delay, it will be reviewed and dings handed out to those responsible.
Ah, nevermind.

I took your statement for "those responsible" as in the passengers, but you meant GAs, which makes more sense.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
i took this at YVR domestic today, C29. This gate did not have this a couple weeks ago. And the colour scheme matches the new livery. Gate C30 also had Zone 6 present.

Some gates have a mix of old a new colors in their zone signs.

Last edited by yvr76; May 31, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Old May 31, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yvr76
i took this at YVR domestic today. This gate did not have this a couple weeks ago. And the colour scheme matches the new livery.

And given AC apparently announced basic economy as Zone 6 for TATL this does not surprise me. At least you get carry on with AC, though good luck on a full CRJ.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94

At least you get carry on with AC...
But is that a good thing?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
But is that a good thing?
I guess if I could pay to guarantee it, I would happily do so. It’s one reason I have and will fly J on some 1-2h routes. I don’t need a J seat for 90 mins, I do need my electronics on the plane (safety of arrival).

Guess which EU ULCC is now charging for carry on
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess which EU ULCC is now charging for carry on
If the charges on checked luggage is at the core of their business model, makes lots of sense, no? Apart from making the boarding process reasonably manageable, which is surely more relevant to the current discussion.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
If the charges on checked luggage is at the core of their business model, makes lots of sense, no? Apart from making the boarding process reasonably manageable, which is surely more relevant to the current discussion.
Well in that case they did, and still charge for checked luggage. Back to AC however, I believe AC never claimed zonal boarding is meant to improve the boarding process. As the nomad will surely be along soon to remind us
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well in that case they did, and still charge for checked luggage. Back to AC however, I believe AC never claimed zonal boarding is meant to improve the boarding process. As the nomad will surely be along soon to remind us
The nomad might remind us. This said, the issue of charging for checked luggage or carryon, while related to boarding efficiency, is largely orthogonal to boarding by zone. Ecpet for differnt zones having different checked luggage charges.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Flawless performance of zone boarding SOPs today at YQQ. However, there were only five pax so the "cattle call" methodology might have been superior in this instance.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Flawless performance of zone boarding SOPs today at YQQ. However, there were only five pax so the "cattle call" methodology might have been superior in this instance.
What was the gap time call between Zone 1/2 and the rest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.