Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
Unfortunately, this happens in 'remote' (i.e. not large outstations) quite frequently. Asia (HKG,NRT,TPE) is ahead of the pack. SFO follows it rigorously. BOM, PUJ, CUN, etc either spotty or not at all.
Don't forget HND and ICN! They are great as well with ZB.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
Unfortunately, this happens in 'remote' (i.e. not large outstations) quite frequently. Asia (HKG,NRT,TPE) is ahead of the pack. SFO follows it rigorously. BOM, PUJ, CUN, etc either spotty or not at all.
And if no one is telling AC, they may never know.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yep, if you tell AC then they’ll know and not care vs not knowing

Still gotta keep the faith eh. And maybe you would like a 5% off code?
DNAwizard likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:07 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jc94
Yep, if you tell AC then they’ll know and not care vs not knowing

Still gotta keep the faith eh. And maybe you would like a 5% off code?
I'm not saying AC takes immediate action on every customer complaint, but sometimes they do react, and as I said before, saying nothing is a way to guarantee continued inaction.

As for the promo code, I doubt that something like this would merit one. Sometimes when I've written in, I've gotten promo codes. Sometimes not. I've never written in with the intention of getting a promo code and I would hope that nobody would, although I'm sure there are some unscrupulous people who do.

But if AC sends me promo codes, I always make sure to use them
jc94 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
They read FT! They read FT!
Many of them also work at the airport, so many of them already know.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
MEX is consistently bad on this point. Or, at least, has been for 3 months.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Got fed up with how YVR / YYC express flights are boarded and wrote in (although form my experience YYJ is amazing). This is what I got back. Note that even on a DH3, they're supposed to board Zone 1 and 2 separately. Note sure if for < 35 seats means pax or seats. Because even the DH1 has 37 seats, it's only the Beachcraft that would qualify.

Anyway, this is what I got back:

The integrity of our boarding process is very important to us and we will bring this to the Managers attention, in Vancouver and Calgary. To clarify, our agents must always board Zone 1 and Zone 2 separately. On flights where we operate flights with less than 35 seats, we do allow combining of Zone 3-5.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
It took less than 15 minutes from the moment boarding was called to get 90 percent of the pax to be seated. Everyone was being boarded at the same time with Z1 get their own line. I was timing how other airlines boarding process is and comparing it to AC.
​​​​​​
The flight was PVG - CSX on a Shanghai Airline 737-800 that was all sold out except one or two seat.

It was quick, efficient and above all.. orderly.
Four days ago I witnessed the similar thing again on Hainan and then China Eastern.

I am increasingly convinced the best way to resolve this stupidity is have all zones board at the same time with separate lines on single aisle aircraft.

For widebody, reduce the number of zones to four on any metal below 330 and board budibusi/economy at the same time.

It takes AC 1.5 to 2X the time to board a E90 to 90 percent seated lmao.

Why?
I think on my last 6 flights where I arrived at the gate within the printed boarding time.. not once the boarding actually begin at the published time. Guess what, AC, its people's natural instinct to line up when it's the time printed on their boarding pass lol.

It's also unnecessary to board business and economy class separately, esp on widebody flights.

The removal of checked in baggage continue to plague the boarding process.

​​​​​​
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; May 29, 2018 at 10:31 am
Old May 29, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I thought I saw over on the thread about basic economy fares that with the introduction of basic economy on transatlantic flights, those holding basic economy tickets will board in Zone 6.

Looks like those signs weren't wrong after all...
Old May 29, 2018, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Having been flying around on BEH/DH3/DH4 flights in a group of seven zone 1ers, I'm noticing an upsetting pattern.

The GA calls zone 1. The seven of us board. But everyone else assumes we're not zone 1, so by the time they call zone 2, we have zone 4 in line behind us.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by yvr76
Got fed up with how YVR / YYC express flights are boarded and wrote in (although form my experience YYJ is amazing). This is what I got back. Note that even on a DH3, they're supposed to board Zone 1 and 2 separately. Note sure if for < 35 seats means pax or seats. Because even the DH1 has 37 seats, it's only the Beachcraft that would qualify.

Anyway, this is what I got back:
Fascinating.

The last 7 flights I’ve done, Zone 1/2 called together. Why do that if Z1 is supposed to board first? Signage also combines them so it would be confusing to Z2.

On a recent flight at YYZ, agent called Z1/2 and then proceeded to only process Z1 which made for a traffic jam as Z2 customers were told to step aside. They congregated around the agent.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Was at PEK flying back to YVR last week. First time I've seen agents follow zoned boarding to the T......a bunch of people started lining up about 15mins prior to boarding and the agents told them to go away if they were not zone 1 or zone 2. When they first started boarding and made the announcement the entire area of passengers for the flight started lining up and people were all over the place. I was flying in J which meant I board with zone 1. The Zone 1 line had like 50 people there already and after the agents checked people's boarding pass she told everyone who was not zone 1 to go away and line up in their respective zones. Pretty much the entire zone 1 line cleared out except for 10 people in front of me.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
It took less than 15 minutes from the moment boarding was called to get 90 percent of the pax to be seated. Everyone was being boarded at the same time with Z1 get their own line. I was timing how other airlines boarding process is and comparing it to AC.
​​​​​​
The flight was PVG - CSX on a Shanghai Airline 737-800 that was all sold out except one or two seat.

It was quick, efficient and above all.. orderly.
Four days ago I witnessed the similar thing again on Hainan and then China Eastern.

I am increasingly convinced the best way to resolve this stupidity is have all zones board at the same time with separate lines on single aisle aircraft.

For widebody, reduce the number of zones to four on any metal below 330 and board budibusi/economy at the same time.

It takes AC 1.5 to 2X the time to board a E90 to 90 percent seated lmao.

Why?
I think on my last 6 flights where I arrived at the gate within the printed boarding time.. not once the boarding actually begin at the published time. Guess what, AC, its people's natural instinct to line up when it's the time printed on their boarding pass lol.

It's also unnecessary to board business and economy class separately, esp on widebody flights.

The removal of checked in baggage continue to plague the boarding process.

​​​​​​
You may be very well accurate/correct (or otherwise).
But since day one for AC, it was never intended to maximize the efficiency of the boarding process.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
You may be very well accurate/correct (or otherwise).
But since day one for AC, it was never intended to maximize the efficiency of the boarding process.
I got three more flights on mainland carrier so will continue to observe whether the pattern is consistent.
For a company with serious OTP issues, you would think maybe they should streamline or speedup the boarding process.
Esp for widebody flights, business pax should not really be impacted by all zone boarding at the same time anyways.

Every time I fly AC the apparent pattern of inefficiency grows.

Rogue 767 boarding is a complete poop show.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:35 am

So here's the TL DR version of how AC can learn from Chinese Mainland Carriers (Hainan, China Eastern, Shanghai Airline)
1 - Board business and economy at once, but special line-up for business/FF members on Single - Aisle airplanes
2 - Start boarding process 10 minutes prior to published time and levy penalty on those responsible everytime boarding is delayed by 10 minutes
3 - Offer gate checked pax priority boarding by making announcements 20-25 minutes prior to boarding (Which Vueling does really well)

Instead of saying:
Sir your luggage exceeded dimensions, I have to check this in
Say:
Dear passengers, our flight today is extremely full and we would greatly appreciate if anyone would kindly volunteer to gate check their luggage for free, while we will also gladly offer you priority boarding to thank you for your support and understanding
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.