Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: TK *G
Looks like the board was designed and proved by someone who doesn't understand zone boarding.

It would be interesting if these boards are massively produced and AC is too cheap to make new ones.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by songsc
Looks like the board was designed and proved by someone who doesn't understand zone boarding.

It would be interesting if these boards are massively produced and AC is too cheap to make new ones.
Or someone who is *G.
PB53x11 and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by songsc

Hmmmmmm. LOL

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

ANother fail🙄

Interesting boarding process today in YVR. The outbound flight to YYJ called family’s travelling with children to board then Zone 1&2. Fail! (Especially with the large load of zone 1&2 on this route)
RangerNS likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YLWflyer
Interesting boarding process today in YVR. The outbound flight to YYJ called family’s travelling with children to board then Zone 1&2. Fail! (Especially with the large load of zone 1&2 on this route)
We are talking about a flight where the boarding process takes longer than the actual flight. Letting the people who have to fuss with little ones get settled in first is not that bad of an idea, vrs doubling the length of time you have to sit on a cramp Dash-8, watching parents fuss with little ones. Should still be bin space.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm currently sitting at gate 76 for my YVR-SFO, where we have 5 of the old signs.

Only the zone 2 has the Gold logo like that.

Therefore, I'd assume it's a bug.

The bugs are everywhere. Like how you need R space.

Edit: on a somewhat unrelated matter, fine lanes solves the vast majority of my issues with zoned boarding. People are lined up. There are no 2s blocking 1s, or 4s blocking 3s.

Now, this is a YVR-SFO. This did not work on YYZ-MUC. But it definitely worked here.
glad to see them following lead of United. If not five lanes at least have three. 1, 2 and 3-5.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
We are talking about a flight where the boarding process takes longer than the actual flight. Letting the people who have to fuss with little ones get settled in first is not that bad of an idea, vrs doubling the length of time you have to sit on a cramp Dash-8, watching parents fuss with little ones. Should still be bin space.
That makes sense. For short flights it doesn't matter to me either (I usually try to board last or near last, but that's beside the point).

And at which threshold/criteria would this no longer be acceptable, given the well-established and publicly posted zoned boarding protocol? An 80-minute flight on a CRJ? A 90-minute flight on a CR9?
The problem occurs with the GA's discretion, as documented thoroughly in this thread with larger aircraft (even with relatively short flights) during regular operations.

The whole purpose of zoned boarding is to enhance the experience for a certain cohort of customers (I am paraphrasing AC), and not meant to necessarily expedite the boarding process.

So in a way, perhaps AC should make amendments to the protocol and just apply (and enforce it) for regular operations zoned boarding for aircraft that have more than one cabin of service.

I believe what irks many here (Zone 1/2ers or not) are the seemingly random acts of regular operations boarding protocol announced by the GAs. AC has the published protocol that has been out for years, but there are still agents, during regular operations, who continue to disregard this protocol. It then ends up being a judgement call by us armchair quarterbacks whether situation A, B, C, etc. warrants legitimate zoned boarding process.
vernonc likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Priority boarding is more important, IMO, for shorter flights as shorter flights tend to be on smaller aircraft where bin space is at a premium. I don't necessarily mind Zone 1 & 2 being called together when there are 70 PAX and the GA can see there are only 5 people that qualify, so sure, some discretion is OK. But "Zones 1 and 2 may board now" and then, without even the mic clicking off "Now boarding Zone 3".
ffsim, canadiancow and zeer0 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That makes sense. For short flights it doesn't matter to me either (I usually try to board last or near last, but that's beside the point).

And at which threshold/criteria would this no longer be acceptable, given the well-established and publicly posted zoned boarding protocol? An 80-minute flight on a CRJ? A 90-minute flight on a CR9?
The problem occurs with the GA's discretion, as documented thoroughly in this thread with larger aircraft (even with relatively short flights) during regular operations.
I would make it simple. The Q400, especially on that route should have sky-check. The fact they don't is a related problem. Horizon does sky-check on the Q400 between YYJ and SEA. AC should do the same on the YYJ to YVR flight.

Any flight that has sky-check or departs out of that tight gates area on the lower level in Vancouver (that frankly would not be well served by having people queue up in different zone lines anyway) should be loaded in what ever way gets done as quickly as possible.

I would say that bank of gates in YYZ where the US bound CRJ is another area where they should do something pragmatic and just board kids and strollers first it helps clear out the gate area.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would make it simple. The Q400, especially on that route should have sky-check. The fact they don't is a related problem. Horizon does sky-check on the Q400 between YYJ and SEA. AC should do the same on the YYJ to YVR flight.

Any flight that has sky-check or departs out of that tight gates area on the lower level in Vancouver (that frankly would not be well served by having people queue up in different zone lines anyway) should be loaded in what ever way gets done as quickly as possible.

I would say that bank of gates in YYZ where the US bound CRJ is another area where they should do something pragmatic and just board kids and strollers first it helps clear out the gate area.
Sure, but it sounds like we're starting (or have done so for awhile in this thread, perhaps) to equate zoned boarding to "ability to stow carry-on luggage". Does the Zone 1/2 experience equate to ability to easily stow carry-on luggage (either in the aircraft, or gate check where available) and that's it?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:50 am

AC has assigned seats. Except to lay claim to bin space and arm rests, why else would you want to board early?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC has assigned seats. Except to lay claim to bin space and arm rests, why else would you want to board early?
Bin space in Y would be the only reason I would board early, but it might not be someone else's reason.
People have their own reasons and I don't think I'm one to say what is or isn't a legitimate reason for them.

I know some that prefer not to wait in the jetway bridge for a single queue process (especially for a widebody, which does happen from time to time), and would rather just get on first rather than linger around and wait somewhere for everyone to board before boarding last. Just one example of many possible scenarios in which someone may want to board first. Or another one... some like to board semi-first in order to have time to relax and maybe enjoy some of the preboard service. Again, just some reasons others may have.

AC has already stated that zoned boarding to improve the boarding experience for a certain group. If they meant it to be simply to have first dibs at being able to easily/comfortably stow their carry-on luggage and that's it, then I think AC should rethink this whole zone boarding thing - but I'll go out on a limb and assume that stowing of carry-on luggage isn't the only reason for AC to have implemented zone boarding.
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
For those flying in premium cabins, I can see them preferring to get into their seats and continue tapping away at their laptop for work, or sip that preflight bevvie, or simply to reduce that lounge-->departure transition. It sucks leaving a comfortable lounge seat - or even one in an MLL (ba da boom) - to hang around a crowded gate area, which rate among the least pleasant places on the planet to congregate. May as well get onboard and settle in.
For most Y passengers, I'd say the bin space issue is the paramount reason to jostle, line up and board early. It would take a special type of anti-social person to consciously board early in order to claim armrest territory, and good luck holding onto it for the duration of the journey. Fortunately these folks are rare. Some people like to begin watching the AVOD right away, or stare out the window at the ramp activity, but easily the lion's share of people want to secure a bin for their bulging bag.

If one could guarantee an overhead spot for each passenger, the gate louse issue would instantly evaporate. Boarding might actually take longer, as the main incentive to hurry on would be absent.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I think people are really freaked about getting bumped these days, so getting into your seat early, means they'll have to force you out (and then you can sue them for millions! lol).

Funny story: when I called AC about seat assignments on a recent flight, I asked if I should bother checking in online (since I generally don't, because I fly Alaska mostly, and can never seem to check-in online - I think because I am Canadian, leaving from a US city), and she said, "OH YES, definitely check-in online!" and I said, "Why, when I can just get my boarding pass at the self-serve kiosk at the airport?" and she goes, "Oh, because it'll lessen your chances from being bumped". So yeah, even the phone agents are sayin' it! Getting your butt into your seat is the ultimate no-bump guarantee!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:46 pm

I do get worried if my sequence # is > 10. I'd never expect to be bumped if I was late to the gate (given status, and checkin sequence), but others might. Even in J I'm worried about bin space (mind you, my J is in Rouge, 320, or smaller.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.