Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
That makes sense. For short flights it doesn't matter to me either (I usually try to board last or near last, but that's beside the point).

And at which threshold/criteria would this no longer be acceptable, given the well-established and publicly posted zoned boarding protocol? An 80-minute flight on a CRJ? A 90-minute flight on a CR9?
The problem occurs with the GA's discretion, as documented thoroughly in this thread with larger aircraft (even with relatively short flights) during regular operations.

The whole purpose of zoned boarding is to enhance the experience for a certain cohort of customers (I am paraphrasing AC), and not meant to necessarily expedite the boarding process.

So in a way, perhaps AC should make amendments to the protocol and just apply (and enforce it) for regular operations zoned boarding for aircraft that have more than one cabin of service.

I believe what irks many here (Zone 1/2ers or not) are the seemingly random acts of regular operations boarding protocol announced by the GAs. AC has the published protocol that has been out for years, but there are still agents, during regular operations, who continue to disregard this protocol. It then ends up being a judgement call by us armchair quarterbacks whether situation A, B, C, etc. warrants legitimate zoned boarding process.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Priority boarding is more important, IMO, for shorter flights as shorter flights tend to be on smaller aircraft where bin space is at a premium. I don't necessarily mind Zone 1 & 2 being called together when there are 70 PAX and the GA can see there are only 5 people that qualify, so sure, some discretion is OK. But "Zones 1 and 2 may board now" and then, without even the mic clicking off "Now boarding Zone 3".
That's my thought too.

Even with a full-size carry-on and personal item, if I'm boarding anything larger than a 321, I try to board last.

Narrow-body J can be a challenge with bin space at times, though I suspect the 737 is better?

My huge issue is boarding Express, where they say "there's only 2 zone 1s" as their reason for calling zones 1 and 2 together. But there are 35 zone 2s on the 50 seat plane. So by combining 1 and 2, they've basically relegated 1 to "general boarding".

If there are more than 5 zone 2s, zone 1 should be called separately.
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But there are 35 zone 2s on the 50 seat plane.

If there are more than 5 zone 2s, zone 1 should be called separately.
I completely agree.... Zone 1 should usually be called on its own, but it is not....
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Sure, but it sounds like we're starting (or have done so for awhile in this thread, perhaps) to equate zoned boarding to "ability to stow carry-on luggage". Does the Zone 1/2 experience equate to ability to easily stow carry-on luggage (either in the aircraft, or gate check where available) and that's it?
I think that is the only thing that is tangible.

There is the "glamour" of being special and being invited on first. However that wears off very quickly for anyone who travels regularly.

For some it is that change to settled and have a nap while the rest of the cabin boards. I usually go for an aisle seat, so no nap for me.

Lets just do sky-check on the Q400 and most of the problem goes away.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Comfort fare shows that it includes 'early boarding', which is outlined as Zone 3:
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Same as the preferred seat purchase, but if you purchase a Comfort fare and Y+ is full, then you still get Zone 3.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I think that is the only thing that is tangible.

There is the "glamour" of being special and being invited on first. However that wears off very quickly for anyone who travels regularly.

For some it is that change to settled and have a nap while the rest of the cabin boards. I usually go for an aisle seat, so no nap for me.

Lets just do sky-check on the Q400 and most of the problem goes away.
what route do you fly that offers sky-check on a Q400? I frequent these models and I have yet to see sky-check offered. However on the smaller Dash 8’s sky-check is always offered
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YLWflyer

what route do you fly that offers sky-check on a Q400? I frequent these models and I have yet to see sky-check offered. However on the smaller Dash 8’s sky-check is always offered
YYJ-SEA. (Horizon for Alaska).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Spotted at YLW today. Typo or revisions coming to the zoned boarding policy? Perhaps to allow Comfort and preferred seats to board before families etc?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There are photos of those from YQM upthread.

The new signs are coloured differently.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Spotted at YLW today. Typo or revisions coming to the zoned boarding policy?] Perhaps to allow Comfort and preferred seats to board before families etc?
We should add to the wiki of all the Zone 3-6 signs.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Looks like this photo issue is going to be a challenge:

Desktop

Phone

Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Looks like this photo issue is going to be a challenge:
I see the images that Adam provided just fine, on every browser I have on all of my devices.
So.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I see the images that Adam provided just fine, on every browser I have on all of my devices.
So.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3 browsers on my laptop, and 2 browsers on my phone. I do not see the images in Adam's or Two Four's posts.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Spotted at YLW today. Typo or revisions coming to the zoned boarding policy? Perhaps to allow Comfort and preferred seats to board before families etc?
Would make sense, Z3 remains P25, preferred and comfort fares and Basic defaults to Z6 along with those in the front “third” of Y.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
3 browsers on my laptop, and 2 browsers on my phone. I do not see the images in Adam's or Two Four's posts.
It's the FT image uploader tool - it only works half the time and for half the readers here. (half meaning 50% +/- 100% )

We could all go to a direct hosted link of the image. The only negative is that it won't be captured in a quote response, whereas the FT hosted image will show in the quote of the response.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
It's the FT image uploader tool - it only works half the time and for half the readers here. (half meaning 50% +/- 100% )

We could all go to a direct hosted link of the image. The only negative is that it won't be captured in a quote response, whereas the FT hosted image will show in the quote of the response.

I wan't the only one to post here on the FT Tech Support page

Images are not visible or posting

Also, it seems the Direct Link I'm trying top upload from postimage is not working with the FT picture icon

Last edited by 24left; Apr 15, 2018 at 9:19 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.