Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because when zone 1 was called, they were standing in line, blocking zone 1 passengers from boarding.

It just wasn't clear they weren't zone 1 until zone 2 was called.
And where were they supposed to stand if not in the line designated by the sign for their zone?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold

That's what I've learned. Cut the line. Otherwise zone 2 lice will board first.
Two wrongs do not make a right: a lesson we (should have) learned when at daycare age. Rather than cut the line, invite somebody to board before you, with a gracious smile. You'll likely better someone's day, and will all arrive at SFO at the exact same time.

The term 'gate lice' refers to anybody, regardless of assigned zone, who mills about and occupies floor space prior to any boarding announcements being made. Lice tend to impede general ease of movement in the gate area and adjacent paths. They are generally incapable of sitting in the departure area or remaining in the lounge, lest anybody board ahead of them and threaten their intent to place both enormous 'carry-on' bags within an overhead bin.

In my observations, most licetypes tend to hold priority zone boarding passes.
Bohemian1 and YXUhomebase like this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou
And where were they supposed to stand if not in the line designated by the sign for their zone?
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this exact issue as being one of the fundamental problems with AC's zoned boarding in the past week.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Two wrongs do not make a right: a lesson we (should have) learned when at daycare age. Rather than cut the line, invite somebody to board before you, with a gracious smile. You'll likely better someone's day, and will all arrive at SFO at the exact same time.

The term 'gate lice' refers to anybody, regardless of assigned zone, who mills about and occupies floor space prior to any boarding announcements being made. Lice tend to impede general ease of movement in the gate area and adjacent paths. They are generally incapable of sitting in the departure area or remaining in the lounge, lest anybody board ahead of them and threaten their intent to place both enormous 'carry-on' bags within an overhead bin.

So zone 2 boards. Then 3, then 4, then 5... and then I have to gate check my bag? No.

When I notice the front of the 1/2 line is zone 2 and not moving, I'm going around them.

And you're completely describing these people. Lining up 30 minutes before boarding starts, even though there are plenty of seats. When zone 1 is called, they impede movement, blocking the lane.

I stood up from my seat when zone 1 was called, as is typical if I happen to be at the gate before boarding begins.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I’ll stand where AC tells me to stand as a zone 2er. If that’s in the same line as zone 1ers, I’ll be happy to facilitate them going around me ahead of zone 2 being called. I certainly wouldn’t consider any zone 1 pax going around me as “cutting” the line, and I also wouldn’t want to be called anything as derogatory as “gate lice” for standing exactly where I’m supposed to be standing.

I think any Z1 pax doing what Cow described is doing exactly the right thing considering the constraints given by the airline.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I love it when I’m positive a person is not Z1 and I politely ask. Typically, they ignore me. On a recent flight exactly this happened. Sure he heard my question. He got to the GA taking boarding passes and she told him he wasn’t Z1 and to move aside! Very well done on GA’s part. I thanked her.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yosemite1
I don't know that I'd go so far as to endorse the behaviour.

Last weekend they called Z1+2 at the same time on some of my smaller flights, I wondered what the point was if they weren't going to split it up...

On one of my larger flights last weekend, the GA was enforcing zone boarding giving walks of shame which was really nice to see. But I would agree as a whole they should enforce it.
Lots of talk here about Z1 & Z2 being called at the same time. Most of the time its not a big deal, but can be annoying when the Z2 person in front of me has a spouse and 4 bags and holds everyone up.

What I found more annoying though was the SE guy who boarded the plane, sat in J, and then loudly called the concierge on his phone to complain about the GA calling zone 1 and zone 2 together. He stayed on the phone most of the boarding process, and everyone that boarded heard the SE whining. Certainly did not help the image of an SE!!

Leave the whining to this forum!!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

If you are Zone 1 and they have only called Z1, it is not "cutting the line" to move ahead of Z2 people.

My basic rule is that I do not line up at all if I am at the gate before boarding. I'll sit or stand out of the way, and when they call zone 1, I'll go to the back of the Z1 line. If Z1 & Z2 are lined up together, I'll move ahead if it is obvious that the person/people in front of me are Z2.

If I arrive at the gate after Z1 & Z2 have boarded I'll go to the back of the regular line. My bad for getting to the gate late. I have had GA's who recognize me try to call me out of the regular line, but I just think it looks bad to show up after Z1 & Z2 board and make a Z3'r wait so I can board in front of them.

My "rule" is only for boarding though. I have absolutely no qualms about using the priority or Nexus lines to get through security!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
My basic rule is that I do not line up at all if I am at the gate before boarding. I'll sit or stand out of the way, and when they call zone 1, I'll go to the back of the Z1 line. If Z1 & Z2 are lined up together, I'll move ahead if it is obvious that the person/people in front of me are Z2.
Unless you can see their boarding pass, I'm not sure how it's obvious

I just think it looks bad to show up after Z1 & Z2 board and make a Z3'r wait so I can board in front of them.
That is literally a published perk of being in zone 1/2.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this exact issue as being one of the fundamental problems with AC's zoned boarding in the past week.
Well, some Air Canada gates have a separate Z1 and Z2, others have them together. I'm guessing it depends on how much space they have at the gate area.

Personally I prefer the UA approach of a separate line for each zone (when they have the space for it), but that requires a bunch of space than many airports do not have.

Since I usually board Z2 I will tend to go to the end of the Z1/Z2 line after they have called Z1 boarding. Usually lets all the ZS1-ers on first.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:23 pm

Unless you can see their boarding pass, I'm not sure how it's obvious
The line moving, but they are not moving is a pretty good sign.....

That is literally a published perk of being in zone 1/2.
Maybe, but I still don't want to be too obvious about the fact that I am a VIP and way more important than they are!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:26 pm

My experience is that the 2s continue to move closer and closer even if only 1 was called.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

Maybe, but I still don't want to be too obvious about the fact that I am a VIP and way more important than they are!
Well, you can't be a real VIP unless everyone around you knows it!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
My experience is that the 2s continue to move closer and closer even if only 1 was called.
If you ever see a youngish 30's blonde woman with a fish baggage tag loudly directing zone 1/2 traffic when EVERYTHING IS BEING HELD UP.... that's me. I have the worst luck of being stuck at those gates with no room to move or sit, so I stand in line and if they start boarding and there's the gaggle effect... well, JUST GET ON THE PLANE.

At LGA once they were holding up boarding until they felt enough people from each zone had got on, and the PA was nowhere loud enough. I just stood up and called out and helped process the mess. I don't care if it makes me obnoxious, let's all get on the plane and get to where we're going.

Also, a few years in the navy and some time calling drill realllllly helped my "voice projection" abilities.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by meagicano
Also, a few years in the navy and some time calling drill realllllly helped my "voice projection" abilities.
I haven't pulled out my "loud voice" in years. If I heard a passenger shouting reasonable directions, I'd probably smile.

I just don't understand how people don't get the 1-2-3-4-5. Or do they get it, and not care?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I just don't understand how people don't get the 1-2-3-4-5. Or do they get it, and not care?
Some clearly are clueless. Some choose to think the 'rules' don't apply to them. And I really do think that the rest just want to get in position to board ASAP so they can stuff their bags in the precious remaining overhead space.

I sometimes wonder how much of this problem is related to the egregious amounts that airlines charge for checked bags, but that's a whole other topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.