Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
interesting that such a dense urban area like Tokyo can afford the room, but YYZ cannot.
YYZ - What can one say about YYZ. They did a better job of designing that airport than the international terminal at YYC. For an airport that feels that spacious it is not. It is an optical illusion.

YYC - Lets not talk about YYC. Someone passed through Heathrow Terminal 3, was mistaken in thinking call to gate was the way grown up airports worked.

YVR - Is hit and miss. Parts of the new terminal have lots of space. Older parts are crowded. The one problem gate is the one behind the whitespot restaurant that AC mistakenly convinced themselves is appropriate for a wide-body aircraft. It is not.
Bohemian1 and Diabeetus like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
BOM-YYZ.
Got eupg at the gate. No new boarding pass, just my new seat scribbled on it.
The gates were one of 4 which needed a bus to the aircraft.
No Zone signs anywhere. No announcements. Two lines started forming. Staff doing important stuff but no communication with pax.
They started with wheelchair passengers and kids in strollers. A few families with older kids also went thru. Since there were no announcements, I went up to the guy that looked in charge and asked him when he was going to board zone 1 to which he removed the rope and I boarded with my family. Maybe they boarded by zones later. Bus full of pax incl the wheelchair and kids. Got to the plane and waited in the bus for 10 mins as the crew had not boarded just before we showed up. Bus doors opened and the usual free for all with everyone trying to get up the stairs.
I expected BOM to be a mess and expectations were met.
lewis_m likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
YYC - Lets not talk about YYC. Someone passed through Heathrow Terminal 3, was mistaken in thinking call to gate was the way grown up airports worked.
Every time I walk through the new YYC terminal, I am disappointed at such wasted opportunity of a good facility it should have been.

Calling zone 1 and zone 2 together is such a common occurrence that it's almost not worth reporting anymore.

I did have disabilities and small children called before zone 1 & 2 at UA run AC outstation recently though.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diabeetus

I did have disabilities and small children called before zone 1 & 2 at UA run AC outstation recently though.
I believe this is procedure for major disabilities, but not for small children.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
We are talking about the Japanese. They have tape on the floor on subway platforms telling you where to stand while people get off incoming trains. The Japanese seek order from chaos. Canadians do not behave this way.
Have you ridden the Canada Line on the way to the airport in Vancouver? They have painted lines on the platforms for the same purpose. Canadians do indeed behave this way, at least until they arrive at said airport...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
YVR - Is hit and miss. Parts of the new terminal have lots of space. Older parts are crowded. The one problem gate is the one behind the whitespot restaurant that AC mistakenly convinced themselves is appropriate for a wide-body aircraft. It is not.
Which problem gate are you referring to? Perhaps you mean Monk's Grill*? The gates behind White Spot aren't used for wide body aircraft (the restaurant itself is before security), but larger planes do dock at gates 44-49 in the C pier, and I can see the potential for congestion there.

At gate 31, used almost exclusively by the A320, the overflow into the narrow hallway coupled with the loose Starbucks lineup at the Y, can certainly result in a bottleneck situation.

*oh wait...didn't the Monk's location used to be a White Spot...?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Which problem gate are you referring to? Perhaps you mean Monk's Grill*? The gates behind White Spot aren't used for wide body aircraft (the restaurant itself is before security), but larger planes do dock at gates 44-49 in the C pier, and I can see the potential for congestion there.

At gate 31, used almost exclusively by the A320, the overflow into the narrow hallway coupled with the loose Starbucks lineup at the Y, can certainly result in a bottleneck situation.

yes it did. I was just wandering around YVR hungover looking for it, wondering what had happened.

The Monk’s burger I had in its place did not hit the spot.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
BOM-YYZ.
Got eupg at the gate. No new boarding pass, just my new seat scribbled on it.
The gates were one of 4 which needed a bus to the aircraft.
No Zone signs anywhere. No announcements. Two lines started forming. Staff doing important stuff but no communication with pax.
They started with wheelchair passengers and kids in strollers. A few families with older kids also went thru. Since there were no announcements, I went up to the guy that looked in charge and asked him when he was going to board zone 1 to which he removed the rope and I boarded with my family. Maybe they boarded by zones later. Bus full of pax incl the wheelchair and kids. Got to the plane and waited in the bus for 10 mins as the crew had not boarded just before we showed up. Bus doors opened and the usual free for all with everyone trying to get up the stairs.
I expected BOM to be a mess and expectations were met.
At the same time, who would expect this zone boarding to work with buses. One bus for each zone? Who ever boards the bus first should move towards the back/front leaving room for others to board the bus. Last one the bus will likely be first off and first on the aircraft.

What makes sense is done by some like TAP. Separate bus for business class. Run that bus to the front stairs. The passengers in the back half of the bus to the back stairs.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:14 pm

Have you ridden the Canada Line on the way to the airport in Vancouver? They have painted lines on the platforms for the same purpose. Canadians do indeed behave this way, at least until they arrive at said airport...
I have several times. Never noticed lines on the platform, I will look for them next time.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:19 pm

It is 47/48. My luck I usually end boarding the morning wide-body to Montreal out of that gate area.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
At the same time, who would expect this zone boarding to work with buses. One bus for each zone? Who ever boards the bus first should move towards the back/front leaving room for others to board the bus. Last one the bus will likely be first off and first on the aircraft.k

What makes sense is done by some like TAP. Separate bus for business class. Run that bus to the front stairs. The passengers in the back half of the bus to the back stairs.
Not just TAP. It’s the only way to make it work and if there’s only one entrance either bus them there first .... or block out all th me J bins and let em board last.

I don’t get why there are so many people keen to get into a 787 for 14 hours in Y. Not all of them can have 6 rollers of whatever people believe is the carry on allowance. And it’s not like you don’t get a free checked back on that route. DEL is just as bad if not worse.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
At the same time, who would expect this zone boarding to work with buses. One bus for each zone? Who ever boards the bus first should move towards the back/front leaving room for others to board the bus. Last one the bus will likely be first off and first on the aircraft.

I was hoping for the TAP style boarding. More importantly board by zone.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Jan 6 2018 AC 759 YYZ-SFO.

Delayed 30 minutes, so huge lines at the 1/2 and 3/4/5 lanes.

They called zone 1, and everyone in the priority side started moving. I joined the gaggle, as I did see a Z1 BP near the back.

Then they called zone 2, so my friend and I walked around to the front of the line (the person at the very front was definitely not zone 1, and thus was holding up the line).

That's what I've learned. Cut the line. Otherwise zone 2 lice will board first.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Then they called zone 2, so my friend and I walked around to the front of the line (the person at the very front was definitely not zone 1, and thus was holding up the line).

That's what I've learned. Cut the line. Otherwise zone 2 lice will board first.
How are the zone 2 pax ‘lices’ in your story given that they were standing where AC’s sign told them to stand and that they were boarding when AC told them to board?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou

How are the zone 2 pax ‘lices’ in your story given that they were standing where AC’s sign told them to stand and that they were boarding when AC told them to board?
Because when zone 1 was called, they were standing in line, blocking zone 1 passengers from boarding.

It just wasn't clear they weren't zone 1 until zone 2 was called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.