Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It also strokes my very large (but legal) roller that needs overhead bin space.
Is your very large legal one also hard.shell.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is your very large legal one also hard.shell.
You know me too well.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It also strokes my very large (but legal) roller that needs overhead bin space.
FOTSG confirmed! Real non-FOTSG know how to travel for up to two weeks with a carry-on that fits under the seat, no overhead bin space required.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by jaysona
FOTSG confirmed! Real non-FOTSG know how to travel for up to two weeks with a carry-on that fits under the seat, no overhead bin space required.
I need more than a bag full of underoos and socks.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I need more than a bag full of underoos and socks.
So THAT’S what I’ve been doing wrong

FWIW I’m 100% in moo territory on this one. My ego doesn’t need priority boarding — my bag does. If AC replaced priority boarding with guaranteed bin space, I’d be all for it. Nothing beats boarding as the door’s about to close and still having a spot to put my bag, and this is my typical approach when flying on widebodies.

I don’t need to sit on a plane longer than necessary.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ffsim

FWIW I’m 100% in moo territory on this one. My ego doesn’t need priority boarding — my bag does. If AC replaced priority boarding with guaranteed bin space, I’d be all for it. Nothing beats boarding as the door’s about to close and still having a spot to put my bag, and this is my typical approach when flying on widebodies.

When I take weekend trips, I definitely don't bring a roller (though I have in the past).

Then I board last.

When I'm on a widebody, I board last (though I'll note that the 763 has been a slight issue at times).

However, you know what happens when I board any time after zone 1? I get stuck in the jet bridge behind a huge line. The later in the boarding process, the worse it gets. Last flight out of SFO, it was 25+ degrees in the jetbridge. The terminal was cool and the aircraft was cool, but it was super hot standing there waiting.

That can be avoided by boarding first.

Either way, it's an advertised perk, and my decision to embrace it at times should not result in a RCHHMP reply
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
"Zone 1 now boarding Zone 1."
4 people board.

"Zone 2 now boarding Zone 2."
4 people move into Z1 line.

"Now boarding parents with children under 6."

Okay, so technically they boarded by zone. But given it was J29 I imagine there were more than 4 people in each zone.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim

I agree. It is all about the overhead space. Last week, a late in bound turned my connection into 10 minutes. When I got to the gate, they were done boarding and had offloaded me. They quickly reloaded me and sent me onto the plane. When I walked on board, the SD walked over to my seat and opened the overhead bin. She had saved room for my carry on. To me, that was great service for a perfectly timed connection.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
I wore sweats today, joggers and a fleece, ill admit to being younger than the average person you see board in Zone 1. But the amount of looks I’m getting for standing in this Zone 1 line is crazy. (Flying J fwiw)

edit: even the AC Agent at the gate TRIPLE checked my BP.

Last edited by yosemite1; Oct 14, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:18 pm
YQY

Programs: P25
Originally Posted by yosemite1
I wore sweats today, joggers and a fleece, ill admit to being younger than the average person you see board in Zone 1. But the amount of looks I’m getting for standing in this Zone 1 line is crazy. (Flying J fwiw)
I had that happen in SFO a few months back. They announced boarding was about to begin, and I lined up in Zone 1. Some random passenger came up to me and explained that I had to get to the end of the line because "all those people lined up before you". I said "oh that's the line for Zone 1?" He said it was. As I was about to say "there's more people in that line than in business class" an announcement was made that boarding would be delayed.

I went and sat back down.

When they called for boarding again I was second in line.

When the random guy that told me I was in the wrong line boarded I just smiled from my pod with my feet up and gave a head nod.

Granted I was in jeans, a hoodie, and look like I'm 12 but that doesn't mean I'm not in J.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by YQY
I had that happen in SFO a few months back. They announced boarding was about to begin, and I lined up in Zone 1. Some random passenger came up to me and explained that I had to get to the end of the line because "all those people lined up before you". I said "oh that's the line for Zone 1?" He said it was. As I was about to say "there's more people in that line than in business class" an announcement was made that boarding would be delayed.

I went and sat back down.

When they called for boarding again I was second in line.

When the random guy that told me I was in the wrong line boarded I just smiled from my pod with my feet up and gave a head nod.

Granted I was in jeans, a hoodie, and look like I'm 12 but that doesn't mean I'm not in J.
Reminds me of a story I read by Sudha Murthy (one of the founders of Infosys) and her experience at LHR after being questioned why she was in the J line up.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-...cattle-hansson
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
When I walked on board, the SD walked over to my seat and opened the overhead bin. She had saved room for my carry on. To me, that was great service for a perfectly timed connection.
That's truly excellent service!^

Fortunately AC's OTP has gotten better over the last few years, but I've frequently ended up with 20-30min int'l -> domestic connections (particularly great fun when trying to make the last flight of the day). But despite being the last pax to board I usually have been able to store my rollaboard in the closet, and it has always worked out fine.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yannerd
Reminds me of a story I read by Sudha Murthy (one of the founders of Infosys) and her experience at LHR after being questioned why she was in the J line up.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-...cattle-hansson
Good story. I try to never judge people by what they look like nor query them. That said I do roll my eyes at people whom from what they say are clearly not in the right line up. True Tango for Life FOTSGers.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: air miles
Newb question but why wouldn't AC use multiple gates for boarding? Ie. Business class boards at gate x, which connects to the fore boarding door. Prem economy and economy board at gate x(+/-)1 which connects to a middle boarding door. For example on the 787 (which is now the most common wide body) business would board on the fore boarding door (L1?) while everyone else boards at the second boarding door just before the premium economy cabin (L2?). Is this a restriction with the airport or the airline?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Newb question but why wouldn't AC use multiple gates for boarding? Ie. Business class boards at gate x, which connects to the fore boarding door. Prem economy and economy board at gate x(+/-)1 which connects to a middle boarding door. For example on the 787 (which is now the most common wide body) business would board on the fore boarding door (L1?) while everyone else boards at the second boarding door just before the premium economy cabin (L2?). Is this a restriction with the airport or the airline?

Others here with knowledge or airport set-up and AC will likely have a better technical answer but it has been posted before that other airlines using wide bodies at many other stations do board through 2 doors and maybe that's why SQ and BR and ANA can board a 777 in 20 minutes.

On many of my morning wide bodies to YVR for eg., the 777 gets gate 39 while the earlier 789 gets gate 41 - where everyone boards at L1. This leaves J pax, SEs, MMs etc all boarding first and then the entire rest of the pax hitting you over the head with their backpacks and other items while passing through J and PE to get to Y.

I have no idea why the jet bridge at 41 goes to L1 and not L2...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.