Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by marke190
This happened to me a while ago when travelling on a flex fare as a group YXE-YYZ (E90); all 6 of us had Z1 and none in the group were SE.
Either way it is unusual, but was the group booking made with you on it also? Given that you have E50K this made have had something to do with the rest of them receiving it also.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by codfather
Either way it is unusual, but was the group booking made with you on it also? Given that you have E50K this made have had something to do with the rest of them receiving it also.
I was on the group booking but I had P25K at the time. The GAs seemed a little confused when we all boarded with Zone 1.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Wow. Boarding YYC - YYZ today at gate 56. Collided with YVR departure right beside at gate 58 which was running late.

It’s one of the Lion 330’s so an already busy Z1 route was even busier than usual. Add to it the construction on the lounge at that end of the terminal, so it’s a total cluster of humans. Maybe halfway through Z1, which was closing in on 8 or so minutes, a guy speaks up “if you are zone 2 can you please make a path for everyone in zone 1 so they can get by you please”. It was awesome. Hat off to you blue shirt crowd manager guy. Who himself was a Z1 but ushered all the Z1’s past him before he boarded once he parted the Red Sea.

GA’s did nothing to manage the constant barrage of Z2-5’s while trying to load Z1 through a construction zone on top of a YVR boarding. They need to put a primary stop point in front of the general boarding area there while that construction is happening.

In other news, these planes are kinda cool. I like the wine bottle holder. Is that what it is? It’s what it should be anyways.
The whole story sounds on par with what I've seen lately.

Even when boarding starts on schedule and there are no delays, many GAs DGAF about zone boarding protocol.
mamau, canadiancow, cager and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by marke190
I was on the group booking but I had P25K at the time. The GAs seemed a little confused when we all boarded with Zone 1.
Ahahaha I mean if it was on your BP, you are technically entitled to it! Regardless of IT glitch lol

They shouldn't have been confused! jlisi984 is an example of the many young SEs out there! And he has had SE for so many years.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Apparently there is a new zone that I like to call ‘SE that can’t read’ They line up next to the zone 1 line and run forward as soon as the gate calls zone 1. I have seen this zone on flights to Montreal and Edmonton departing Toronto.

Last edited by MME2YYZ; Nov 7, 2019 at 8:49 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Apparently there is a new zone that I like to call ‘SE that can’t read’ They line up next to the zone 1 line and run forward as soon as the gate calls zone 1. I have seen this zone on flights to Montreal and Edmonton departing Toronto.
These are the special SEs who think the line is not for them. They hover and then sprint for the BP scan to beat everyone else.
ffsim likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:20 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Just remember that for some, SE means Super Entitled.

They are more special than the rest of us.
YYC traveler likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 8, 2019 at 8:50 am Reason: Comma chameleon
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Just remember, that for some. SE means Super Entitled.

They are more special than the rest of us.
I am glad you understand the way the world works.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:13 am

YYZ dom is absolutely the worst for this kind of behavior. Not helped clearly by the fact that none of the airport actually seems like it was designed to have people and queues and the like. I assume it was originally intended to be a mall and someone got carried away with the parking areas?
PB53x11 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The key question is whether these are Zone 1 lines or Zone 1/2 lines. If Zone 1, yeah, that's pretty crappy. If joint 1/2 lines, I'll admit I may have done something like this, given that 1/2 lines are often clogged with Z2s. But I'll usually wait to see whether there are any Z1s coming out of the line before I go up.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The key question is whether these are Zone 1 lines or Zone 1/2 lines. If Zone 1, yeah, that's pretty crappy. If joint 1/2 lines, I'll admit I may have done something like this, given that 1/2 lines are often clogged with Z2s. But I'll usually wait to see whether there are any Z1s coming out of the line before I go up.
The problem there is that I find about half the time, the 2s will go forward in that situation, and the GAs don't stop them. So you can't tell when to cut in.
canopus27 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The "Solution to the Problem That Zone 2 Peons Can't Read" area?

I know it well.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by pappypappy
YYZ dom is absolutely the worst for this kind of behavior. Not helped clearly by the fact that none of the airport actually seems like it was designed to have people and queues and the like. I assume it was originally intended to be a mall and someone got carried away with the parking areas?
and ^^^
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Seriously, they should just do away with Zone 2's, and have Zone 1 and then 3.

Zone 2's are just a blight on the sheer importance of us SE's.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Seriously, they should just do away with Zone 2's, and have Zone 1 and then 3.

Zone 2's are just a blight on the sheer importance of us SE's.
Following that logic, let's just make it really easy and have Zone 1, Zone 6 and Steerage.

I think part of the problem is the ordinality of the zones and pax in Zone 2 figure "we're next!" when the Zone 1's start boarding. So let's make the class gap as wide as practical.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Nov 8, 2019 at 12:04 pm Reason: Spaces, the final frontiers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.