Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
In all honesty, if anybody here did not have SE (and therefore was not Z1 if not flying J), I think you would all be very annoyed if AC changed up E75K or less boarding priority.

I understand the frustration, but I think it is worth noting this...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:43 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Seriously, they should just do away with Zone 2's, and have Zone 1 and then 3.

Zone 2's are just a blight on the sheer importance of us SE's.
That's not at all what I was saying. AC has created boarding zones. I have Zone 1. I just want to be able to board in the zone that AC has told me I can board in, but often that's difficult.

Originally Posted by codfather
In all honesty, if anybody here did not have SE (and therefore was not Z1 if not flying J), I think you would all be very annoyed if AC changed up E75K or less boarding priority.

I understand the frustration, but I think it is worth noting this...
I'm not proposing doing away with Z2, and I think you'll find those who suggested it above were joking.

The problem, really, is that AC frequently only has one line for both Z1 and Z2. I don't expect or want to jump ahead of any Z1s who have arrived at the gate ahead of me. But Z2s often clog the Z1/2 line and make it difficult to take advantage of Z1 boarding.

By the way, it's not just SEs who can be Super Entitled. I'll never forget one Z2 who was Smeagol-like in guarding his place at the head of the Z1/2 line, brandishing his TD Visa Infinite, desperately looking forward to the precious priority boarding, who had to be admonished by the GA to let me and other Z1s through. YYC-YYZ a few years ago, gate C58 (although it was probably A18 back then). I still get a chuckle every time I think of that guy...

Anyway, I'm all for E35-75K having Z2, and there being a Z2; I just don't want their attempts to enjoy their entitlements to prevent me from enjoying mine
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's not at all what I was saying. AC has created boarding zones. I have Zone 1. I just want to be able to board in the zone that AC has told me I can board in, but often that's difficult.

I'm not proposing doing away with Z2, and I think you'll find those who suggested it above were joking.

The problem, really, is that AC frequently only has one line for both Z1 and Z2. I don't expect or want to jump ahead of any Z1s who have arrived at the gate ahead of me. But Z2s often clog the Z1/2 line and make it difficult to take advantage of Z1 boarding.

By the way, it's not just SEs who can be Super Entitled. I'll never forget one Z2 who was Smeagol-like in guarding his place at the head of the Z1/2 line, brandishing his TD Visa Infinite, desperately looking forward to the precious priority boarding, who had to be admonished by the GA to let me and other Z1s through. YYC-YYZ a few years ago, gate C58 (although it was probably A18 back then). I still get a chuckle every time I think of that guy...

Anyway, I'm all for E35-75K having Z2, and there being a Z2; I just don't want their attempts to enjoy their entitlements to prevent me from enjoying mine
I knew the guys were joking about it above, but Z2s often get the short end of the stick on this forum anyways Lol

I have to say though, I also hate when the Z1/Z2 lines aren't separated, it is very annoying trying to get past gate lice the times I do fly in J class...

That is a hilarious story though Adam Smith, I assume he was enjoying his fixed mileage flight reward to the fullest with a free checked bag also!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
I really don’t know why AC has a combined zone 1/2 sign at all. I hate it when they call Z1 and half the pax in line ahead of me take 2-3 stutter steps forward only to suddenly stop, as if they’ve just remembered they’re Z2, not Z1. This in turn forces me and the other Z1’s to also stop suddenly to avoid bumping into them and then we have to find a path to thread our way through to the boarding desk. And half the time while we’re doing that, the agent sees the flow has stopped and so thinks the Z1’s are all done and calls for Z2, so the whole pack surges forward again.

IMO they should always have separate signs for 1& 2. Then if they need to combine zones after that, do so.

If AC was on the ball, they would upgrade the Z2-3 signs to be double-sided. Then after Z2’s boarded, they could turn the “2” sign around to show a “4” on the back, and the 4’s could line up while the 3’s board. They could do the same with the “3” sign (have a 5-6 on the back of it).

This would maintain Z1 queue space throughout the boarding period, and give a bit more order to the overall process.

Of course, this process would require someone to turn the signs around, which could be a challenge...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
This.

I literally just boarded (writing this from the plane). The combined zone 1&2 line was crazy long - easily 35 people for an E75. No way they were all zone 1.

Zone 1 was called, so I started at the front of the line and walked back, asking "Zone 1? Zone 1? Zone 1?"

After about 10 people I found someone who said "no, zone 2", so I cut in front of them. It's absolutely feasible that there were other zone 1 people at the back of the line, but I have no idea how to find them - and if I wait at the back of the combined zone 1/2 line, then for sure I'll end up boarding at the end of zone 2.

I have no problem being the last person in zone 1 to board. I was not trying to cut in front of any other zone 1 folk. I just don't want to be the last person in zone 2 to board, when my BP says zone 1.

If there's a better way to manage that situation, given the way that AC decides to run its boarding process, then I'm all ears.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by canopus27; Nov 8, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: Fix tupo
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:59 pm

[QUOTE=canopus27;31716513. I just don't want to be the last person in zone 2 to board, when my BP says zone 1.

If there's a better way to manage that situation, given the way that AC decides to run its boarding process, then I'm all ears.[/QUOTE]

Totally this. And yes, I was previously joking.

MrsITAG and I are both Zone 1. We've come to become gate lice, lining up early, because the 1/2 swamp is just so swampy.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does AC have these Zone 1/2 signs? If they don't want to eliminate Zone 2, at least they should have them with zones 3-4-5-6, no? :-) BTW, I do seem to recall that they used to have different zone 1 and zone 2 signs? That worked OK, why did the change?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by kenlor
I really don’t know why AC has a combined zone 1/2 sign at all. I hate it when they call Z1 and half the pax in line ahead of me take 2-3 stutter steps forward only to suddenly stop, as if they’ve just remembered they’re Z2, not Z1. This in turn forces me and the other Z1’s to also stop suddenly to avoid bumping into them and then we have to find a path to thread our way through to the boarding desk. And half the time while we’re doing that, the agent sees the flow has stopped and so thinks the Z1’s are all done and calls for Z2, so the whole pack surges forward again.

IMO they should always have separate signs for 1& 2. Then if they need to combine zones after that, do so.

If AC was on the ball, they would upgrade the Z2-3 signs to be double-sided. Then after Z2’s boarded, they could turn the “2” sign around to show a “4” on the back, and the 4’s could line up while the 3’s board. They could do the same with the “3” sign (have a 5-6 on the back of it).

This would maintain Z1 queue space throughout the boarding period, and give a bit more order to the overall process.

Of course, this process would require someone to turn the signs around, which could be a challenge...
I'm actually a big fan of the UA zone system, and would have no issues with AC implementing something similar. A separate pre-board call for SE, followed by a Zone 1 for J, E75, E50 then Zone 2, which is PE, E35 & E25, credit card "status", then zones 3-42. And go with the UA signage as well, with only a Zone 1 & 2 sign, and everyone else just has to linger in the background.

I don't fly UA a ton, but I have used this system at a few of their hubs (SFO, IAH, LAX), and it seems to work semi-efficiently. Of course, the most effective method of improving zoned boarding is GAs who actually enforce the system, which has always been sorely lacking with AC.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Of course, the most effective method of improving zoned boarding is GAs who actually enforce the system, which has always been sorely lacking with AC.
This. ^ A thousand times, this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
If there's a better way to manage that situation, given the way that AC decides to run its boarding process, then I'm all ears.
Hover off to the side where you can ignore the 35 people who aren't in Zone 1, but are standing (and belligerently blocking, usually) the Zone 1/2 line.

Upthread someone suggested this was the wrong thing to do. I'm not sure how there is a more right thing to do, as long as AC insists on not actually enforcing their zoned boarding process.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
The funny part is that a lot of places don't have Z1/2 signs any more, they've gone to separate signs for each zone, or at least Z1, Z2 and Z3/4/5. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either, even inside a given airport. My YYZ-YOW connection home was somewhere around D40 last week and I had to cut in front of people because the Z1/Z2 "line" was jammed with Z2 pax. My YYZ-YOW connection home this afternoon was at D31 and they have separate signs for Z1 and Z2. Those gates are what, within 100m of each other in YYZ?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Leaving MSP today (where there is a Z1/2) line, several Z2’s stood aside and asked “are you Z1? Go ahead, I’m a 2”. Well done, gold and red tags. Well done.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Leaving MSP today (where there is a Z1/2) line, several Z2’s stood aside and asked “are you Z1? Go ahead, I’m a 2”. Well done, gold and red tags. Well done.
You're welcome.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: TK *G
I have seen a few flights where Zone 1/2 sign was used, but the agent called Zone 1 and Zone 2 separately. Many people’s (including mine) understanding is that when Zone 1/2 sign is used, Zone 1 == Zone 2. So you can imagine all the confusion and mess it creates.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Nothing new: combined Z1/2 signs depend on station and gate.

agreed with above re Z1/2 confusion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.