FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada introduces zoned boarding
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:07 pm
VoodooYYC

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by kenlor
I really don’t know why AC has a combined zone 1/2 sign at all. I hate it when they call Z1 and half the pax in line ahead of me take 2-3 stutter steps forward only to suddenly stop, as if they’ve just remembered they’re Z2, not Z1. This in turn forces me and the other Z1’s to also stop suddenly to avoid bumping into them and then we have to find a path to thread our way through to the boarding desk. And half the time while we’re doing that, the agent sees the flow has stopped and so thinks the Z1’s are all done and calls for Z2, so the whole pack surges forward again.

IMO they should always have separate signs for 1& 2. Then if they need to combine zones after that, do so.

If AC was on the ball, they would upgrade the Z2-3 signs to be double-sided. Then after Z2’s boarded, they could turn the “2” sign around to show a “4” on the back, and the 4’s could line up while the 3’s board. They could do the same with the “3” sign (have a 5-6 on the back of it).

This would maintain Z1 queue space throughout the boarding period, and give a bit more order to the overall process.

Of course, this process would require someone to turn the signs around, which could be a challenge...
I'm actually a big fan of the UA zone system, and would have no issues with AC implementing something similar. A separate pre-board call for SE, followed by a Zone 1 for J, E75, E50 then Zone 2, which is PE, E35 & E25, credit card "status", then zones 3-42. And go with the UA signage as well, with only a Zone 1 & 2 sign, and everyone else just has to linger in the background.

I don't fly UA a ton, but I have used this system at a few of their hubs (SFO, IAH, LAX), and it seems to work semi-efficiently. Of course, the most effective method of improving zoned boarding is GAs who actually enforce the system, which has always been sorely lacking with AC.