Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC 6 HND-YYZ July 2017

I don't eat duck but took a photo. Again.

Beef, not covered by the Green Herb Confetti (shown above).

It was disappointing for a couple of reasons (FWP alert):

- despite it being cooked rather decently (not overdone), it had no taste. As you know from photos upthread, I've had this meal a few times previously and while often overdone, the plum compote sauce was tasty.

- the food was cold. The plate was cold.
I've asked various SDs about this and was told "management doesn't want the plates heated"

So, either heating the plates takes time or heating cold plates for the chiller causes them to break. Not sure which it is, but I'm not overjoyed with a COLD hot meal. I've had warm plates on other airlines.

The breakfast omelette, potatoes and spinach were tasty. Warm but not hot.

Attached Images         
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Wow, there are peppers in every single western entree. I wonder, if they can customize the temperature of the beef, if they can plate it without a particular garnish. Hypothetical issue for me, but this would be a very unhappy surprise if I buckled in and got that.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by 24left
I've asked various SDs about this and was told "management doesn't want the plates heated"
Was any rationale given to you behind such an incredibly stupid decision?

What I find more interesting is that prior to the Hawksworth enhancement meals were always served hot as food and plating were both in the oven.

I may just now regret my statement provided earlier that I am a fan of the Hawksworth dishes if this decision by management is actually true.

I also wonder what would happen if I ask a flight attendant to heat up my plate prior to plating my food. I should try this in the next few days.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Was any rationale given to you behind such an incredibly stupid decision?

What I find more interesting is that prior to the Hawksworth enhancement meals were always served hot as food and plating were both in the oven.

I may just now regret my statement provided earlier that I am a fan of the Hawksworth dishes if this decision by management is actually true.

I also wonder what would happen if I ask a flight attendant to heat up my plate prior to plating my food. I should try this in the next few days.

I my post I wrote:

.....- the food was cold. The plate was cold.
I've asked various SDs about this and was told "management doesn't want the plates heated".....
My SQ BTC meals were all on warmed plates, my BR meals were all on warm plates, CX meals were hot as they are served in their original casserole dishes (although they are testing Dine on Demand now on some routes, which seems to include plating in the galley and a different presentation of the tray and meal items). The main hot meals on the international AA flights were on warm plates. Nonetheless.....
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
I my post I wrote:
I meant, did the flight attendant mention what the rationale is behind management dictating that the plates should not be warmed?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I meant, did the flight attendant mention what the rationale is behind management dictating that the plates should not be warmed?
The SDs answered that question with the comment I posted. I have no other info to add.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
AC 879 today

I'm so used to a breakfast as they always serve them as a second meal (or first) on TPACS

It is nice not to see the omlette for a change
Attached Images  
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by lcohen999
I'm so used to a breakfast as they always serve them as a second meal (or first) on TPACS

It is nice not to see the omlette for a change
Out of curiosity, on which TPAC route breakfast is served as the first meal?

What I find interesting is that the omelette varies slightly depending on flight from outstations. So who said the omelette is always the same?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by songsc

What I find interesting is that the omelette varies slightly depending on flight from outstations. So who said the omelette is always the same?

The only flight/route that I can think of where breakfast is served as the first meal are the Day-tripper to London and the early flight back (868/869).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
AC 6 HND-YYZ July 2017

I've asked various SDs about this and was told "management doesn't want the plates heated

Simply put, it's a space issue. J/C TPAC galleys are packed to capacity. Large dinner plates do not fit into the ovens (too big) and putting them into bun warmers would mean cold bread. The only aircraft where space and facilities permit heated plates would be the 767's which do not operate on this route. Some GP's will find a way to heat plates space permitting, but it cannot be done on a consistent basis and not on flights with full loads.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Simply put, it's a space issue. J/C TPAC galleys are packed to capacity. Large dinner plates do not fit into the ovens (too big) and putting them into bun warmers would mean cold bread. The only aircraft where space and facilities permit heated plates would be the 767's which do not operate on this route. Some GP's will find a way to heat plates space permitting, but it cannot be done on a consistent basis and not on flights with full loads.
Thanks for the explanation. ^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Thanks!

I understand and I know this challenge from conversations with the SDs.

Thing is, it was on a full J TPAC (the first 2 of the recent series) where my plate was warmish, but on the recent 2 TPACs, for e.g.., cabins were half-empty, so perhaps an attempt could have been made.

It is unfortunate to have a decent hot meal served on a cold plate. Even "room temp" would have been better.

Others here have also mentioned the silliness of putting a warm bread roll on an ice cold plate. I don't eat any of AC's bread products ex-Canada, but love the croissants etc from Asian departures, so I just remove the plate for the tray and ask for the warm item to be placed on a napkin on the tray. It's a simple solution and it works.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by songsc

Sorry, I meant usually second

Truthfully, I would prefer 2 lunches with some variety than another AC omelette

I know on 33/34/35/36 they now include a chicken or pasta dish during breakfast.

That is the best enhancement they have given to that route
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:27 pm

Thanks!

I understand and I know this challenge from conversations with the SDs.

Thing is, it was on a full J TPAC (the first 2 of the recent series) where my plate was warmish, but on the recent 2 TPACs, for e.g.., cabins were half-empty, so perhaps an attempt could have been made.

It is unfortunate to have a decent hot meal served on a cold plate. Even "room temp" would have been better.

Others here have also mentioned the silliness of putting a warm bread roll on an ice cold plate. I don't eat any of AC's bread products ex-Canada, but love the croissants etc from Asian departures, so I just remove the plate for the tray and ask for the warm item to be placed on a napkin on the tray. It's a simple solution and it works.
Personally, I always appreciate when my GP heats the plates (space permitting). On the other side of the coin -- y'all want consistency & plates cannot be heated on a consistent basis. Plates shouldn't be ice cold as they are not placed in trolleys contained in refrigerated positions.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Sorry, I meant usually second

Truthfully, I would prefer 2 lunches with some variety than another AC omelette

I know on 33/34/35/36 they now include a chicken or pasta dish during breakfast.

That is the best enhancement they have given to that route
On Asia flights from YVR, the second meal is usually labelled as "Light meal" instead of the breakfast. That's great indeed because most of those flights arrive at early/late afternoon local time or late night Canadian time, neither is suited for breakfast IMO.

As for variety, the latest change was they added the Asian brunch option, such as fried rice, fried noodle, dim sum, etc, in 2014 I believe. Though I heard that they axed the chocolate recently, so that's another enhancement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.