Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:42 am

So if the contest ends in Nov; why does the last badge reference March? Why is 4 months needed to tabulate everything? Does AC really view their IT teams with such a low standard???

Its not as if you have to wait for other carriers; this is all AC Metal; in house....
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alc
I have a trip to YOW on 1st week of Oct and been holding off booking it until this week, thinking it will count toward the 2nd Mystery Badge, knowing they will be "new bookings made between September 22......", but I didn't expect they also put "....for travel between October 14......"
Think of what's on the weekend before the 14th. That's why

Originally Posted by hearna
So if the contest ends in Nov; why does the last badge reference March? Why is 4 months needed to tabulate everything? Does AC really view their IT teams with such a low standard???

Its not as if you have to wait for other carriers; this is all AC Metal; in house....
Because if they give out the bonus miles right away, and then someone submits a successful appeal that knocks you out of the top 20/30, and then they take your miles away, you'd be pretty pissed.

Or it's to put the expense in a different fiscal quarter.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:47 pm

During EYW2 I had many wings post incorrectly, many of my badges did not post correctly and it took several months to get resolved. IIRC final resolution did not take place until after the originally posted deadline (which I think was mid-March). So yes, March seems about right.

There are threads on here about people being refused mileage for flights that get diverted, etc. Even though it should straight forward since no other airlines are involved, it isn't. They err on the side of caution and give time to make sure things post correctly to ensure that people get the proper number of wings/miles.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Sorry some of you are having issues with the postings - the Leaderboard is updated daily Mon-Fri, but we have investigated and don't see any major issues. Bear in mind it does take a few days for the flight to be credited and then the Wings to post, but if you're experiencing significant delays please let me know by PM and I can follow up.
Hi Ben, thanks for the undertaking. Knowing you will be on top of it, I will not have to deal with EYW team as I did for EYW #1 is a big comfort.
I will go ahead & book all of travel from Mid-Oct to Dec on AC in the next 48 hours.
Guess I will be getting a call from Visa when charges keeping coming
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Think of what's on the weekend before the 14th. That's why
Hmm... I'm flying down to SFO? But how would Air Canada know about that when I haven't booked my tickets yet?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by cperciva
Hmm... I'm flying down to SFO? But how would Air Canada know about that when I haven't booked my tickets yet?
I was referring to Thanksgiving, when everyone will be flying somewhere
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I was referring to Thanksgiving, when everyone will be flying somewhere
But Thanksgiving isn't until November 27th :P.

* this post has been adjusted for canadiancow living in the usa
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Hi Ben, thanks for the undertaking. Knowing you will be on top of it, I will not have to deal with EYW team as I did for EYW #1 is a big comfort.
I found that badges for EYW2 posted a lot more reliably than EYW1, with the exception of the speed bump badges booked on the last day due to a time zone issue, which were eventually resolved as well. I still had to do some manual requests, but it was nowhere near as cumbersome as EYW1.

Also, badges can take a few days to post after they appear on your AE account.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:20 pm

I finally tried some routing calculations.

I can do 9 days of flying, earning about 77k wings, for $5000. A good portion of that is my positioning from SFO (those flights are in Flex, the rest are Tango).

Is anyone able to do better than 3 Globetrotter badges per day? That seems to be my limit right now, and is the main reason I can't get this count higher.
What? 77k wings, and how many other miles are you to get out of this? Total what; maybe 120k? For 5000k?? You can buy a Z ticket for that price; (when you consider where you can go for the miles, and extra fees attached to that free redemption... and 9 days of flying; your gone in the head...

In EYW1 I flew 2.5 days; earned around 120k miles for around 1300$ including the over night hotel and food/shuttles costs... Good deal (albeit crazy non the less...)

Maybe you should invest your 5k into a good TPAC J product and enjoy a vacation instead of doing up and downs between YEG-YXE-YWG in DH3/DH4/CRJ's...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:00 pm

What? 77k wings, and how many other miles are you to get out of this? Total what; maybe 120k? For 5000k?? You can buy a Z ticket for that price; (when you consider where you can go for the miles, and extra fees attached to that free redemption... and 9 days of flying; your gone in the head...

In EYW1 I flew 2.5 days; earned around 120k miles for around 1300$ including the over night hotel and food/shuttles costs... Good deal (albeit crazy non the less...)

Maybe you should invest your 5k into a good TPAC J product and enjoy a vacation instead of doing up and downs between YEG-YXE-YWG in DH3/DH4/CRJ's...
I just booked Several International Itineraries. On 777 & 787 & 330. All in Flex. Flush with E-Credits will go for upgrades.
Will earn 60K+ AQM

Will do meetings in day & enjoy dinning in evening & theatre. I have also built in weekend day for Art Galleries & Museums.
Will be earning my wings in comfort & Style. I will not be earning my wings No DH3/DH4 Merry Go Round & Round

Did the same for EYW#1 did in comfort of widebody J cabin & made it in Top 10.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:06 pm

Well, the goal would be to get into the top 20 and get another 500k miles. And if I was sure it was a great idea, I would have booked it already

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I just booked Several International Itineraries. On 777 & 787 & 330. All in Flex. Flush with E-Credits will go for upgrades.
Will earn 60K+ AQM

Will do meetings in day & enjoy dinning in evening & theatre. I have also built in weekend day for Art Galleries & Museums.
Will be earning my wings in comfort & Style. I will not be earning my wings No DH3/DH4 Merry Go Round & Round

Did the same for EYW#1 did in comfort of widebody J cabin & made it in Top 10.
Out of curiosity, how much did you spend for the flights?

There's a huge difference between rerouting a few necessary trips, and planning this just for the wing running.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Well, the goal would be to get into the top 20 and get another 500k miles. And if I was sure it was a great idea, I would have booked it already

Out of curiosity, how much did you spend for the flights?

There's a huge difference between rerouting a few necessary trips, and planning this just for the wing running.
Lets say I had to call Visa this afternoon to inform them about the charges which will be going on AC in the next 24 hours.

I would never book flights to nowhere. Every trip I take there is an interview or booked meeting. In addition I always overnight @ a hotel or route it through YYZ after a red-eye flight to sleep in a proper bed. If it means having to pay for breaking the journey.

On a serious note. Doing all of these segments run , there is a risk factor. I love flying. I will get on a plane on turn off a dime. However, I am aware of the risk factor. Which is why I do not add segments to reach SE status to my international itineraries.

The current EWY except for same day RT between YYZ-LGA/EWR/BOS/PHL, all others require overnight. I travel through YXE, YQR & YWG ( my daughter lives in YWG) YQR& YXE no Airport Hotels.

The current EYW is International lucrative.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Accelerator Badge links to U.S. site and USD

I'm on the new Accelerator Badge page (link from email)

http://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/newbadge2

I enter Leaving From as YYZ, enter Going To LAX, click Search and immediately notice the prices for my dates are too low (ha).

I see in the upper right corner the little U.S. flag, do a temporary booking and notice the total dollars is USD

I've tried 3 different Canadian departure cities and all link to the U.S. site

I went back to my browser favorites, clicked AC and got my usual Canadian site

If you're are booking via the badge link and not paying attention to the currency, you'll be billed in USD.

I did click the Convert to Canadian Dollars button and the total amount when converted is higher than if you book directly on the Canadian site

Anyone lese getting the U.S. site and USD?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 24left
BUMP
Not sure why you're bumping this.

In any case, I also get the US site.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Not sure why you're bumping this.

In any case, I also get the US site.
After i posted here on EYW, I bumped it to AC Rep thread as I thought someone at AC should know there is a IT problem of sorts. Sure, one can switch to the Canadian site, but that's not the point. If someone's normal default is Canadian, they may not notice that the U.S. site is coming up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.