Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:35 pm

Apparently Russian frequent flyers don't know how to play this game. Can CloudsAbove or someone give them guidance as to the rules?

Like, as in, you can't be a bully?

Geesh.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/19/us/rus...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Apparently Russian frequent flyers don't know how to play this game. Can CloudsAbove or someone give them guidance as to the rules?

Like, as in, you can't be a bully?

Geesh.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/19/us/rus...html?hpt=hp_t1
Well clearly the first problem is that the Russians were not on AC metal, otherwise they'd earn the 3rd mystery (NORAD) badge!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
While I agree with you that this iteration of EYW is not very lucrative for the west coast, EYW1 was great. In fact, I think most of the wing-running was done in the YYJ-YVR-SEA corridor.

For EYW3, it seems the wing-running is for the prairie badge.
I dunno, so far it works for me
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I know this is usually a solo thing, but if someone works out some good itins and wants to wingrun with me, I'll pay for 25% of your ai fare just for the companionship. Have homes in YVR, YTO, YUL, SFO, LAX and NYC so any of these places are preferred for overnight. Sorry, no spare bedrooms tho... I'm tango/flex friendly, nexus/ge/prechk 100%, and know how to shut up in Y cabin. =)

iirc, I did place #1 on EYW1. Too bad I didn't get cake or like a pin or handshake from AC; just the points... I'm open the week of Sep 29, and from Oct 20 to end of contest. Looking for temporal density more than dollar efficiency...

I am not responsible for 25% of your travel without first approving the cost, dates, and resulting wingcount combination. PM me if interested, but do not send me specific itineraries...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I know this is usually a solo thing, but if someone works out some good itins and wants to wingrun with me, I'll pay for 25% of your ai fare just for the companionship. Have homes in YVR, YTO, YUL, SFO, LAX and NYC so any of these places are preferred for overnight. Sorry, no spare bedrooms tho... I'm tango/flex friendly, nexus/ge/prechk 100%, and know how to shut up in Y cabin. =)

iirc, I did place #1 on EYW1. Too bad I didn't get cake or like a pin or handshake from AC; just the points... I'm open the week of Sep 29, and from Oct 20 to end of contest. Looking for temporal density more than dollar efficiency...

I am not responsible for 25% of your travel without first approving the cost, dates, and resulting wingcount combination. PM me if interested, but do not send me specific itineraries...
25% and a companion... I may take you up on that once the other mystery badges come on.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite

This sounds interesting. Please bring me with the cow
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Have homes in YVR, YTO, YUL, SFO, LAX and NYC so any of these places are preferred for overnight.
... I'm tango/flex friendly, nexus/ge/prechk 100%, and know how to shut up in Y cabin. =)

I'm open the week of Sep 29, and from Oct 20 to end of contest. Looking for temporal density more than dollar efficiency....
IMHO. YVR, YTO, SFO, LAX & NYC will not net you much for current EYW.
Unless you want to spend days puddle jumping & on Rouge.
Add to that, North east USA & Central Canada weather can be a big issue.
Be prepare for cancelled flights & re-routing, delays causing miss connections.
As UA1K for over a decade, I am speaking from experience when it comes to USA Northeast.

Central Canada: My daughter lives in Winnipeg. My son-in-law does YQR/ YXE/ & Alberta for work .
Fall & Winter travel can be rough especially when it comes to Jazz.
If you are planning to do Prairie Badge Run, do it in the next 3 Weeks.

Tempting as it maybe to visit my daughter in Winnipeg , no way I plan to go round & round & round & round++++++ in Barbie jets for the Prairie Badge Run. Couple of visits to Winnipeg is all I am prepared to do
If I decide on participating in 2014 fall EYW # 3 it will be International.

If you are serious about spending some dollars and have 4 weeks, I suggest you look @ International.
Travel in comfort of J cabin. Visit some awesome cities. Museums, theatre & sights.
Starwood has Hot Deals weekly in many International Destinations which can further enhance your travel experience

Mystery badges # 2 & 3. IMHO they will not be anymore lucrative than Mystery badge #1.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 20, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
Mystery badges # 2 & 3. IMHO they will not be anymore lucrative than Mystery badge #1.
You certainly could be right. On the other hand, the mystery badges in EYW2 were so lucrative they literally changed the nature and balance of the game.

SG
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*

Sounds like fun to me. I know you already have two takers but I'll be number 3.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Sep 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:56 pm

Could anyone tell me how many points I can get if I do 10 round trips of YWG-YQR/YXE-YYC-YEG? Does anyone know a cheap place to stay over night near YWG or YEG? I just took a week off and planning to do the trip. I am Toronto based.
Thanks
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
I know this is usually a solo thing, but ... for the companionship.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
25% and a companion... I may take you up on that once the other mystery badges come on.
Originally Posted by maradori
This sounds interesting. Please bring me with the cow
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Sounds like fun to me. I know you already have two takers but I'll be number 3.
You know ... us four, we're all SE Maybe this could be 2014 EYW Prairie SE Mini-Do?

Hopefully we can all be together for all the segments. Would love to meet moar SEs ^^^^^
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:18 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Frederic Wu
Could anyone tell me how many points I can get if I do 10 round trips of YWG-YQR/YXE-YYC-YEG? Does anyone know a cheap place to stay over night near YWG or YEG? I just took a week off and planning to do the trip. I am Toronto based.
Thanks
So you are looking for the following badge

3 of 4 -- YEG / YXE / YQR / YWG -- PRAIRIE BADGE - 2000 Wings

Since you said you are based in YTO, then I assumed you need to fly from YTO to YWG or YEG to start your trip, then back to YTO at the end.

Here is my breakdown, assuming you are booking all your flights in Tango, hence 25% AQM.

YYZ-YWG -- 233 AP -- 100+200 = 300 Wings
YWG-YQR/YXE-YYC-YEG -- 125 x 3=345 AP -- (200+200)+(200+100)+(100+200) = 1000 Wings + PRAIRIE BADGE (2000 Wings) = 3000 Wings

500 Wings - Altitude Badge
600 Wings - Round Trips between YYZ and YWG
30000 Wings - 10 round trips of YWG-YQR/YXE-YYC-YEG
2000 Wings - Get to "10000 Wings" bonus
2000 Wings - Get to "25000 Wings" bonus
-----------------------------------------------------------------
35100 Wings total

You get 2000 AP for each 2000 wings, hence you will get 34000 AP from the EYW3. Total AQM from your flights is 3916. Your profile didn't state what Altitude Status you are, so I will assume you are E50K and selected the 50% AP bonus, hence that is another 1958 AP. Total Aeroplan will be 39874. Also come along is 32 AQS, so this should also get you from whatever status you are to the next level, i.e. E50K to E75K, or from E75K to SE100K.

Goodluck

---- Added my own question ----

After I type out the detail above, I actually start wondering get more wings. Hence question to those that actually did EYW1 and EYW2

Let's say if there is such route for YEG-YXE-YQR-YWG, is that mean you can actually get qty 2 of the Prairie Badge? The breakdown are:

YEG Take Off
YXE Landing

YXE Take Off
YQR Landing

YQR Take Off
YWG Landing

So, just grouping the 3 Take Off and 3 Landing will get you 2 of the Prairie Badge. Am I correct?

Reading the EYW3 web site again tonight seems to mean you will get 2 Prairie Badge from their example of the Cross Channel badge:

LHR landing + BRU landing = Cross Channel badge
BRU take off + CDG landing = Cross Channel badge
CDG take off + LHR take off = Cross Channel badge

Last edited by alc; Sep 20, 2014 at 11:40 pm Reason: Added my own question
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by maradori
You know ... us four, we're all SE Maybe this could be 2014 EYW Prairie SE Mini-Do?

Hopefully we can all be together for all the segments. Would love to meet moar SEs ^^^^^
I'll be on the prairies next couple months too! Was a late entry to the first 2 EYWs, but placed top 5 in both. I have 0 flights so far, due to my last 6 flights being booked before the contest, including a RT to SYD
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by alc
Let's say if there is such route for YEG-YXE-YQR-YWG, is that mean you can actually get qty 2 of the Prairie Badge?
Yes. What matters for EYW is flight segments, not tickets.

I'm not seeing that itinerary showing up in ITA though.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:07 am
alc

Originally Posted by cperciva
Yes. What matters for EYW is flight segments, not tickets.

I'm not seeing that itinerary showing up in ITA though.
Thanks for confirming. I know what I stated above is not a valid routing, it was just make it easier for me to set the background info for my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.