Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
A word of caution for anyone who is aiming for a top 20 spot. I believe that there is going to be increased competition this time around judging from the early standings. There are a number of contestants who are obviously segment running at this early stage in the game. Don't count on picking up the 500k bonus miles with a 50k or even a 100k wing count.

SG
Certainly a lot of us are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the mystery badges. I'm pretty sure the top 20 will have some familiar names - SCOTCHMEUP (currently #1), snowgander, yvr-flyer, yeg-user, drunkcargo, canadiancow etc.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Certainly a lot of us are sitting on the sidelines waiting for the mystery badges. I'm pretty sure the top 20 will have some familiar names - SCOTCHMEUP (currently #1), snowgander, yvr-flyer, yeg-user, drunkcargo, canadiancow etc.
Not this time. I haven't even registered yet. Although I likely will just because.

During EYW2 was very frustrated because I had all of my "speed bump" badges post incorrectly. It took a great deal of effort to get the proper miles and in the end I didn't get 36k miles I thought I was supposed to (with AC ignoring my request for an explanation). If it weren't for Ben L I doubt I'd have had any response (even though I didn't like his response, at least it was better than not hearing anything).

I doubt I'll qualify for E50 next year, and don't really want to make a bunch of SR's to try. I've got a few domestic and transborder trips planned for during the contest period, but I'm waiting for the 2nd and 3rd mystery badges to book before I do so. If the offers are good, I'll likely book on AC to try and get some extra miles. If the offers are not good, I'll possibly fly with someone else.

I've said it several times before, if AC wouldn't be so focused on only awarding "last minute" bookings, I probably would have booked my flights on AC metal already.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I did not post one had to do 20 RT to accumulate substantial amount of Globetrotter Badges.

I stated EYW3 is more lucrative for International Travel.
Not wanting to have AC go in & change rules as they did in EWY1, I am not going to post any details.
*shrug*

Ok. I can't see any way to get 50 globetrotter badges from international cities with less than 20 round trips. But evidently you've picked up on something I missed... I look forward to seeing what the trick is when you appear on the leaderboard.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by cperciva
*shrug*

Ok. I can't see any way to get 50 globetrotter badges from international cities with less than 20 round trips. But evidently you've picked up on something I missed... I look forward to seeing what the trick is when you appear on the leaderboard.
Judging from EYW1, YYZPrincess is including "domestic" badges earned as part of international itineraries.

I still think segment runners have the upper hand in terms of cpm. But the real winners are those who can finish in the top 20 through primarily "normal" travel that is creatively routed to maximize wing earning potential.

SG
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Of all the programs this is one I personally couldn't care less for!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AC:50K
Judging from EYW1, YYZPrincess is including "domestic" badges earned as part of international itineraries.
OK, but you can't even get many domestic badges that way, because the cities you need for those don't have flights to anywhere useful. The major hubs aren't on any of the lists.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cperciva
OK, but you can't even get many domestic badges that way, because the cities you need for those don't have flights to anywhere useful. The major hubs aren't on any of the lists.
Incorrect. With creative international routing one can. I already figured out how to get the infamous Prairie Badge of not one but several. Icing on the cake, I do not have to do puddle jumping in risky month of November.

I have been same day Business travel to YWG, YQR, YXE & YEG for years. Having my shares of Jazz cancelling& unpredictable weather in fall, for the past 2 years I now do those cities in March.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:12 pm

I suspect that there will be a new badge revealed each week for the next 3 weeks as the booking window for the contest narrows. I also wouldn't be surprised if mystery badge #2 targets international segments and badge #3 is both general in scope and the most generous of the three, but with a very narrow (1 week or possibly less) booking window.
SG
I doubt AC will have a mystery International badge.

AC like to pick up pennies & let the dollars go out through the door.

AC could make a killing with EYW if they did it creatively.

2.First Tango fares should not be eligible. .

Lowest should be Flex. Yes with Tango they have more participants does not

mean healthier bottomline.

In This round of EYW AC is just picking up pennies. Prairie Badge is a good example. For under $3K with Prairie Badge, Destination Wings, threshold wings, & Mystery Segment wing, participants can clean up when it comes to getting AP Miles.

Look @ other carriers United for example. Any Promo no bucket fares eligible. Participants fall over each other to take advantage of the promos. United is laughing all the way to the bank with fist full of dollar bills not bags of pennies
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:00 pm

2 hours left in voting for for the 1st new badge, and the Blue Skies (Tango) badge is at 49% and the Velocity (Flex) badge is at 50%.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
2 hours left in voting for for the 1st new badge, and the Blue Skies (Tango) badge is at 49% and the Velocity (Flex) badge is at 50%.
I'm quite surprised at how close the two options are!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Significance of this wording?

A whole year of travel, nearly no FT time... drawn back to FT because of a reminder email I received re EYW3, skimmed the T&C's and came across this seemingly redundant wording?

Once a specific combination of flight activities (e.g.: Cross Channel Badge - takeoff at LHR on Aug 27, 2014 & land in CDG on Sept 17, 2014) is used towards the criteria for a Globetrotter Badge, it cannot be used again for the criteria for the same Globetrotter Badge. However, if eligible, it can be used towards other Globetrotter Badges.

Obviously a single takeoff or landing event cannot be counted twice towards multiple instances of the same type of badge.

However, offering charity to AC's lawyers, I'll assume it has significance, which concerns me if interpreted in the following manner:

LHR Takeoff, CDG Landing is a "specific combination" that once used towards "a" Cross Channel Badge, this combination will not work for a second Cross Channel Badge. Meaning if one does an additional LHR Takeoff and CDG Landing (let's say on Sept 19 and Sept 22 respectively), it will not result in the rewarding of a second Cross Channel Badge?

If this interpretation is correct, then does it also mean CDG Takeoff and LHR landing are duplicative? (ie pairings of cities? or pairing of events? or pairing of events in same order??)

I could just be very tired and looking to nitpick something that, if my English was stronger, would be straight forward...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
A whole year of travel, nearly no FT time... drawn back to FT because of a reminder email I received re EYW3, skimmed the T&C's and came across this seemingly redundant wording?

Once a specific combination of flight activities (e.g.: Cross Channel Badge - takeoff at LHR on Aug 27, 2014 & land in CDG on Sept 17, 2014) is used towards the criteria for a Globetrotter Badge, it cannot be used again for the criteria for the same Globetrotter Badge. However, if eligible, it can be used towards other Globetrotter Badges.

Obviously a single takeoff or landing event cannot be counted twice towards multiple instances of the same type of badge.

However, offering charity to AC's lawyers, I'll assume it has significance, which concerns me if interpreted in the following manner:

LHR Takeoff, CDG Landing is a "specific combination" that once used towards "a" Cross Channel Badge, this combination will not work for a second Cross Channel Badge. Meaning if one does an additional LHR Takeoff and CDG Landing (let's say on Sept 19 and Sept 22 respectively), it will not result in the rewarding of a second Cross Channel Badge?

If this interpretation is correct, then does it also mean CDG Takeoff and LHR landing are duplicative? (ie pairings of cities? or pairing of events? or pairing of events in same order??)

I could just be very tired and looking to nitpick something that, if my English was stronger, would be straight forward...
You are overly tired and/or being paranoid. AC included dates with the original T&C example for a reason. A specific take-off or landing EVENT cannot be used for the same badge more than once, just like in every other EYW campaign.

SG
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo

Originally I was going to pass on EWY3 which is why I did go over the T&C with a fine tooth comb.

I had opportunity to do so just this past Wednesday on my 14 hour flight SYD-SFO. Having gone over the T&C with a fine tooth comb I discovered several Ambiguities in the T&C regarding overlapping.
I just registered this past Thursday.
Like I did for EYW1, I will be emailing EYW3 team to get clarification on ambiguity. .
I do not want any nasty surprises in light of the fact upcoming travel to CDG & LHR which I was planning to do on United because their Upgradable fare is 30-40% lower than AC Flex from YYZ to CDG & LHR . .

Will post in this thread once I have the clarification on Cross channel Badge.

If you are sitting on the fence on doing Domestic or International Itinerary; My take: Although International Itineraries will cost extra $$$$ than Domestic itineraries, if routed creatively can secure a spot in top 20.
As well the travel can be in comfort because of the option to upgrade with E-Credits.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:25 am

I tweeted ACAltitude about the new badge - looks like it's just a one-time badge.

@ACAltitude Is the new badge earned just a single time, or awarded for every 6 segments flown?
@yvr76 Hello, it would be a single time badge. /cc
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I tweeted ACAltitude about the new badge - looks like it's just a one-time badge.
That is not how I'd read it, but I can't find any information about it on the site now. The vote page is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.