Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cperciva
Yes. What matters for EYW is flight segments, not tickets.

I'm not seeing that itinerary showing up in ITA though.
Running a large number of segments in a short amount of time on separate PNRs is risky IMO. It's not summer anymore, and misconnecting one flight means you're not protected on any subsequent ones.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I finally tried some routing calculations.

I can do 9 days of flying, earning about 77k wings, for $5000. A good portion of that is my positioning from SFO (those flights are in Flex, the rest are Tango).

Is anyone able to do better than 3 Globetrotter badges per day? That seems to be my limit right now, and is the main reason I can't get this count higher.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I can do 9 days of flying, earning about 77k wings, for $5000. A good portion of that is my positioning from SFO (those flights are in Flex, the rest are Tango).
It's certainly a lot easier if you're based in YXE, YQR or YWG. Even YYZ is ok. YVR / SFO is not as easy this time around. Maybe one of the two new badges will be a west coast badge!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Is anyone able to do better than 3 Globetrotter badges per day? That seems to be my limit right now, and is the main reason I can't get this count higher.
As other poster posted. If you are going to do segment runs be careful.
EYW #1 was in the best travel season. May & June . No risks in Segment Runs.
Oct is in middle of Hurricane season in Canada & USA North East .
T -Storms. Fog ,high winds.
Take today for example in YYZ. Just 5 days ago the weather forecast beautiful Sunday. 3 days ago forecast change to Rain & T-Storms due to hurricane developing in Gulf of Mexico. As I write this post. Thunder & Lighting. Will bet YYZ & YTZ will have ground stops.

I have been doing same day meetings from YYZ to US North East for many years. Typically weekly.
From Mid-Sept to end of year I only book on United. As I know I can get ORC . AC does not honour ORC take that into consideration.

LGA, BOS, EWR can be on ground stop for hours. Give yourself 4-5 hours between segments & 24 hours for turnarounds.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
My badges don't seem to be appearing, anyone else found this? I just got my most recent pair of segments added in the altitude page but still nothing has shown up on EYW. The flights were booked in advance but after Aug 25.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
My badges don't seem to be appearing, anyone else found this? I just got my most recent pair of segments added in the altitude page but still nothing has shown up on EYW. The flights were booked in advance but after Aug 25.
I did not participate in EYW #2.

In EWY #1 I had had taken 75% of my flights & nothing posted even though my points posted correctly into my account.
Contact EYW team by several emails. They simply ignored my emails. Had to have executive office intervene & within 24 hours my wings posted & others who complained on the thread.
One of the several reasons why I did not participate in EYW #2. EYW # 1. earning the wings was not stressful. It was getting them posted.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by maradori
You know ... us four, we're all SE Maybe this could be 2014 EYW Prairie SE Mini-Do?

Hopefully we can all be together for all the segments. Would love to meet moar SEs ^^^^^
Sounds like fun. Might make the upgrades hard to secure, don't usually see R4 at T-7 . If you want to position from the prairies I have a west coast commuter pass, which I might not need anymore.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
As other poster posted. If you are going to do segment runs be careful.
EYW #1 was in the best travel season. May & June . No risks in Segment Runs.
Oct is in middle of Hurricane season in Canada & USA North East .
T -Storms. Fog ,high winds.
Take today for example in YYZ. Just 5 days ago the weather forecast beautiful Sunday. 3 days ago forecast change to Rain & T-Storms due to hurricane developing in Gulf of Mexico. As I write this post. Thunder & Lighting. Will bet YYZ & YTZ will have ground stops.

I have been doing same day meetings from YYZ to US North East for many years. Typically weekly.
From Mid-Sept to end of year I only book on United. As I know I can get ORC . AC does not honour ORC take that into consideration.

LGA, BOS, EWR can be on ground stop for hours. Give yourself 4-5 hours between segments & 24 hours for turnarounds.
I understand the risks, but I'm also trying to figure out the rewards

When I put together a mock itinerary, I definitely allowed quite reasonable connection times in most places, and at least one 3-4 hour layover per day. Anyway, I was just doing a preliminary calculation to see what I could do.

I don't think 77k wings in 9 days for $5000 is a great deal, so I just want to know if people are finding anything better.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:07 pm

I understand the risks, but I'm also trying to figure out the rewards

When I put together a mock itinerary, I definitely allowed quite reasonable connection times in most places, and at least one 3-4 hour layover per day. Anyway, I was just doing a preliminary calculation to see what I could do.

I don't think 77k wings in 9 days for $5000 is a great deal, so I just want to know if people are finding anything better.
For this EWY Promo, the cost is way higher than #1 both in $$$$ & time.
I have some International Itineraries that I have worked on which will give me substantial amount of wings which would be worth for me to participate EYW # 3 with very few puddle jumpers.
Only issue I need to move around dates as I have some United trips I need to do.

I was ready with my CC this weekend to give $$$$ for the International Itineraries.

Reading on this thread wings are not posting, I recall same issue I had for EYW#1. The effort it took to get my wings credit due to lack of EYW team ignoring requests for days on end..

Now I am giving it a second thought.

I do not want to be dealing with issues of wings not posting. EYW#1 I spent hours on hours trying to get my wings to post.

I think I will sit on the fence again until I read more positive posts on wings being posted.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC:50K
I doubt it. If you're in the right city you can get 7000 Wings for 7 hours and $407, but you can only do that 5 times a week.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:41 am

The 2 New Badges are revealed.

1.ACCLERATOR BADGE
Earn 50% more Wings for all take offs and landings at base airports and Destination airports for new bookings made between September 22 and September 30, 2014, for travel between October 14 and November 30, 2014, inclusively. This badge only appears once in your profile page, but there is no limit to the amount of times you can earn 50% more Wings, as long as you fulfill the booking and travel criteria of this challenge!

2. RANK UP BADGE
Continue moving up through the ranks! Earn 15,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles when you rank between positions 21 and 30 of the leaderboard on March 16, 2015. The badge will be awarded on March 17, 2015
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
The new badges suck, especially the 3rd one...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:18 am
alc

I have a trip to YOW on 1st week of Oct and been holding off booking it until this week, thinking it will count toward the 2nd Mystery Badge, knowing they will be "new bookings made between September 22......", but I didn't expect they also put "....for travel between October 14......"
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by alc
I have a trip to YOW on 1st week of Oct and been holding off booking it until this week, thinking it will count toward the 2nd Mystery Badge, knowing they will be "new bookings made between September 22......", but I didn't expect they also put "....for travel between October 14......"
Yeah the exclusion for last minute travel is odd. Didn't need to hold off on my bookings at all!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:51 am
Flying Blue Director

Sorry some of you are having issues with the postings - the Leaderboard is updated daily Mon-Fri, but we have investigated and don't see any major issues. Bear in mind it does take a few days for the flight to be credited and then the Wings to post, but if you're experiencing significant delays please let me know by PM and I can follow up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.