Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by yvr76
I tweeted ACAltitude about the new badge - looks like it's just a one-time badge.
buu
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That is not how I'd read it, but I can't find any information about it on the site now. The vote page is gone.
I have a screen shot of T&C done on 9th Sept 9:32PM.

I read it different to you.
Reading it I came to the conclusion it was one time. I would have been surprise it was more than one in light of the fact 2500K(Tango) or 5000K(Flex) subject to majority for 6 segments, multiple would have been very lucrative.
I read the T&C of this new badge to be same as Shooting Star Badge, Rising Star Badge & Mega Star Badge.

Contrary to what other posters who have posted Domestic segment travel the lucrative strategy, I differ. I believe International creative routing is the way to go.

The infamous YWG-YQR-YXE-YEG 10 of those will get 52K wings +threshold badges. Which thus fare are 3 @ 2K &1 @ 5K (Velocity) 11K more wings.

Well below 100K which I predict will be the minimum requirement to be even have a shot @ top 20 spot.

As I noted in one of my other posts in this thread, Air Canada left dollars on the table by allowing Tango Fares to qualify for this Promo.

Other Airlines Promos especially as lucrative as Earn Your Wings most if not all disqualify low fare Class.
Air Canada walked away from some serious money with this Promo.

Thus I would be surprise the 2 others to come will be much more lucrative than Velocity.

IMHO EYW3 will require 25% more spend than EWY1. I did not participate in EYW2 as the time period did not fit into my normal travel.
EYW3 does.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 14, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If Velocity is one time only, then I might agree that international can be better. But you're looking at one round trip per day if you fly internationally. And I haven't seen an easy way to get 100k wings for a reasonable cost in international Flex. I haven't looked very hard though

Maybe after I see the next mystery badge.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:41 pm

If Velocity is one time only, then I might agree that international can be better. But you're looking at one round trip per day if you fly internationally. And I haven't seen an easy way to get 100k wings for a reasonable cost in international Flex. I haven't looked very hard though

Maybe after I see the next mystery badge.
I hope I am proven wrong. I doubt the next mystery badge will be lucrative.
The whole structure of EYW3 is tailor give minimum wings per task.
Per Badge was reduce by 60% from EYW1.
I cannot see the other 2 mystery badges anymore lucrative than Velocity.
Flying number of segments is out. Reaching various thereshold is out.
What is left. Last minute bookings.
Every 3 bookings 2000 wings? or 5000Wings. I doubt it.
If it is number of bookings like Velocity One Time.
Number of Roundtrips 1 Time.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:27 pm

[QUOTE=cperciva;23434805] A single $263 YWG-YQR-YXE-YEG ticket will net you 2 Prairie Badges along with 6 Canada Destination Badges, for a total of 5200 Wings. It doesn't look like you can hit both YXE and YQR when flying in the opposite direction, but still -- for a one-day "wing run", this definitely looks like the best area to hang out.
QUOTE]

A friend of mine in YEG who cannot take time off work asked me to put together some domestic itineraries.

As I posted in one of my posts YWG, YQR, YXE & YEG have been cities I have been travelling for past decade. As YQR & YXE there is not much to do, I am usually in & out within few hours. Non-Stop Flights between YWG,YQR-YXE one to 2.
Because of limited flights even on weekdays for Business travel, there is no way a turn around can be done without building in a Hotel.

Resident of YEG will have to overnight in YWG . Opposite for YWG.

To do YWG-YOR-YXE-YEG the first flight has to be @ 8:00AM.
Other End Arrival is late Afternoon.
If one did Turnover in YEG, will to be forced to Overnight in YQR or YXE.

Posters considering this option should look @ overnighting for turnaround
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
You are overly tired and/or being paranoid. AC included dates with the original T&C example for a reason. A specific take-off or landing EVENT cannot be used for the same badge more than once, just like in every other EYW campaign.
Then, is it fair to say it was redundant wording? What concerns me most is the use of the word "combination", however indeed "specific" precedes it along with inclusion of dates in the example. I do not recall such an example nor similar wording in prior T&C's, but unfortunately I do not have a cached copy with me at the moment and honestly haven't the energy for a discovery engagement.

If I do this again, like with EYW1, I'll take a few weeks out and just drop coin on it. Play to win a pointless rank, not to earn points... =)

Ugh, I should just get a real job instead.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by yvr76
2 hours left in voting for for the 1st new badge, and the Blue Skies (Tango) badge is at 49% and the Velocity (Flex) badge is at 50%.
It looks like the Velocity badge won: The Badge Legend is now showing "VELOCITY-BADGE-TITLE" with a description of "velocity-badge-description".

... hopefully the description will become a little bit clearer soon!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:43 am
alc

Originally Posted by cperciva
... hopefully the description will become a little bit clearer soon!
The desc for both badges are still T&C page:

http://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en/conditions

so, I don't think they will change it.

Originally Posted by cperciva
It looks like the Velocity badge won: The Badge Legend is now showing "VELOCITY-BADGE-TITLE" with a description of "velocity-badge-description".
I had been (hard) refreshing my page many times and it still not showing up. I need to book a flight today and need to know for sure it is the Velocity before I try to find an excuse to book in Flex
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Reload again, it's flex

VELOCITY BADGE
Earn 5,000 Wings when you complete 6 flight segments (which is 6 take offs and 6 landings) on flights in Flex fare or higher within Canada and between Canada and the United States. To qualify, only new bookings made between... Read More
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:02 am
alc

Originally Posted by maradori
Reload again, it's flex

VELOCITY BADGE
Earn 5,000 Wings when you complete 6 flight segments (which is 6 take offs and 6 landings) on flights in Flex fare or higher within Canada and between Canada and the United States. To qualify, only new bookings made between... Read More
So, they added the following line in the T&C

The Velocity Badge can only be earned once. Offer is subject to change at Air Canada’s sole discretion without notice; other conditions and restrictions may apply.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:53 am

Yeah pretty lame its a 1 off; I waited till today to book (and ended up paying ~60$ more) in the hopes I could pick it up more then once; if I knew from the onset it was a one off I could have earned it later on...

Funny how this airline can never be straight up about anything ever...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:04 am
alc

hopefully the next 2 badges will not have the same "earn one-time" condition.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That is not how I'd read it, but I can't find any information about it on the site now. The vote page is gone.
Full T&C for the badge. Bolding mine.

Wings for eligible flights flown will be awarded for new bookings only made between September 15 and October 3, 2014, for travel between September 15 and November 30, 2014. In order to qualify as a new booking, the booking must have been created for the first time with a new booking reference number during the eligible booking period of the promotion. Any booking made prior to the start of the newly voted badge that is subsequently changed to include travel dates within the qualifying travel period will not be considered a new booking that is eligible for the newly voted badge.

Valid on eligible scheduled non-stop flights operated by Air Canada (including under the Air Canada Express brand) and Air Canada rouge only for travel between September 15 and November 30, 2014.

To qualify, each flight segment must be travelled in the eligible fare options (booking classes) within Canada and between Canada and the USA : Flex (M,U,H,Q,V,W,G); Latitude (Y,B); Premium Economy Lowest (E,N), Premium Economy Flexible (O), Premium rouge (J,C,D,Z,P), Business Class Lowest (D,Z,P); Business Class Flexible (J,C)

The Velocity Badge can only be earned once. Offer is subject to change at Air Canada’s sole discretion without notice; other conditions and restrictions may apply.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:27 am

Laaaaaaaaame
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:33 am
Flying Blue Director

Just wanted to post a clarification on the Velocity badge and the one-time earning potential: from what I'm told, if this badge was to be earned multiple times, the description would have been “Earn 5,000 Wings every time you complete 6 flight segments.” In the description of the badge, it was written as "Earn 5,000 Wings when you complete 6 flight segments." All of our badge descriptions include the word “every” when it’s for every time. We tried to ensure that the language within this game was consistent in order to avoid situations like this one. Sorry to those who may have felt it was unclear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.