Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2014 Earn Your Wings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Okay I am not going to be any threat to anyone, but just in case it gets me some bonus AE miles, I shook off the procrastination and booked the travel I need through to early January and maybe I will get some wings and miles. In tallying up the damage, I see in this process is that I will fall too short of 50K (too short for the "I am X/Y/Z miles short. Will AC give me status anyway?" question). This was a lighter travel year but I had 35K in the bag last time I analysed my necessary travel plans. Then rouge finked out on me one trip, and not only did I lose the connecting flat bed pod YVRYYZ, but the direct LAXYYZ was fewer miles than LAXYVR/YVRYYZ. My travel plans next year involve more travel and 50K would be more comfortable than 35K, so I need 19,000 AQM to 50K. I suppose I should have been more diligent at this EYW game!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Okay I am not going to be any threat to anyone, but just in case it gets me some bonus AE miles, I shook off the procrastination and booked the travel I need through to early January and maybe I will get some wings and miles. In tallying up the damage, I see in this process is that I will fall too short of 50K (too short for the "I am X/Y/Z miles short. Will AC give me status anyway?" question). This was a lighter travel year but I had 35K in the bag last time I analysed my necessary travel plans. Then rouge finked out on me one trip, and not only did I lose the connecting flat bed pod YVRYYZ, but the direct LAXYYZ was fewer miles than LAXYVR/YVRYYZ. My travel plans next year involve more travel and 50K would be more comfortable than 35K, so I need 19,000 AQM to 50K. I suppose I should have been more diligent at this EYW game!
I actually booked a lot of segments in Tango for EYW because they were not upgradeable (DH3, CRJ), and I didn't need any more miles. Looks like my flights will earn a little over 34k AQM though

But EYW is not great for status mileage running. You're very restricted in what's good for EYW, and it's not usually the same as what's cheap or comfortable.

For 19k AQM, I'd probably look at a long-haul in PE. TLV would get you 14-15k, and then the other 4-5k can be made up pretty easily by a transcon.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
For 19k AQM, I'd probably look at a long-haul in PE. TLV would get you 14-15k, and then the other 4-5k can be made up pretty easily by a transcon.
Thanks for the idea. I am not seeing a routing that would make that in December (am already flying almost every weekend until then). I can see 110% on TK but only 11k via IST. Plugging stuff into the Matrix...
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:50 pm
alc

flyquiet, when I read your first post, I thought I misunderstood your meaning about trips in Jan. But your last reply also talk about trip in Dec. So, thought to make sure you know that EYW3 is only for flights before Nov 30th
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:56 pm

Thanks alc. I know that. I meant that if I had been "playing", I would not now be in the position of trying to squeeze that many miles into December because I would already have flown more.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Thanks for the idea. I am not seeing a routing that would make that in December (am already flying almost every weekend until then). I can see 110% on TK but only 11k via IST. Plugging stuff into the Matrix...
Oh, I meant on AC

But I think I was looking at November.

Back on topic... since the booking window is over, I thought I'd share some preliminary details:

68 segments
9 days (Nov 7 10pm - Nov 16 9pm)
111,500 wings
Aside from SFO-YYZ and YYZ-SFO, everything is in Canada.

Booked on 8 tickets since they wouldn't let me put more than 12 segments on one

I'll also get the Velocity and the three threshold badges, for another 11k wings.

A colleague of mine has requested some video of this, so I plan on making something special

Combined with the 50% Aeroplan bonus I'm expecting north of 700k miles from this.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Now to actually fly all these segments... =) We'll (Cow and I) will be midair through 11AM 11-11 crossing one timezone eastbound... Not usually how I like to spend that day, but oh well.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
*chant* selfie, selfie, selfie!!!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So was that about $100 per segment?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:34 pm

def. need photographic evidence and a TR.

may the weather gods be with you
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mromalley
def. need photographic evidence and a TR.

may the weather gods be with you
The trip has lots of places where it would be acceptable to skip 2-4 segments or take a slightly more direct flight to a future destination. I definitely took weather into account
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE
68 segments
111,500 wings
Wow, 68 segments in 10 days sounds like a pretty epic EYW run. Look forward to hearing more about the travels. Hopefully you don't have too many DH1/DH3/CRJ segments.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by gcashin
Wow, 68 segments in 10 days sounds like a pretty epic EYW run. Look forward to hearing more about the travels. Hopefully you don't have too many DH1/DH3/CRJ segments.
I agree. I'm more than a little impressed by this--envy mixed with horror.

Can we convince you to check a bag and write a trip report?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Oh, I meant on AC

But I think I was looking at November.

Back on topic... since the booking window is over, I thought I'd share some preliminary details:

68 segments
111,500 wings

Booked on 8 tickets since they wouldn't let me put more than 12 segments on one

I'll also get the Velocity and the three threshold badges, for another 11k wings.

A colleague of mine has requested some video of this, so I plan on making something special

Combined with the 50% Aeroplan bonus I'm expecting north of 700k miles from this.

Mr Cow, I am humbled in your presence and bow appropriately
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Can we convince you to check a bag and write a trip report?
Seconded. I really want to hear what the desk agent says when the baggage tags print out for this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.