Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
You know AC is in a metal-neutral Joint Venture with UA on YEGEWR, right? They would know route performance to the penny and I'm sure the decision to can the route was made in tandem.
Would seem they don't share your bet an E90 would do well in the least
I suspect the malignant hand in the decision.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
At least YOW AIF is $23 instead of an extortionate $30...
Enjoy the Ontario aviation fuel tax especially every time you fly via the Toronto Mahal.

Moreover, I am more than pleased to pay that amount and now get the airport we deserve and service from airlines other than the two oligopoly ones in Canada. I am particularly pleased that the carpetbaggers who fly in from Ontario in droves are helping to pay for it.

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; Sep 7, 2014 at 7:51 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:27 pm

Not sure why this thread has become an Alberta Versus Ontario; Bot YEG and YOW are loosing because AC wants to drive traffic too the two worst (when it comes to ops) Airports in Canada... (YYC/YYZ for those who are not following)

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Isn't YMX an all cargo airport? Wouldn't anyone wanting to fly from/through Montreal use YUL?
I meant YMQ...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:16 pm

LOL. This again.
When (if) they do upgauge/increase service to YEG, you will look like a genius!
I heard AA wasn't making a number of moves, rather they were going to make a few moves and contemplate doing things and possibly changing up stuff. I've heard they're on the verge of getting close to making a decision about possibly adding or reducing service to a yet to be determined place, possibly

ProudEdmontonian, you're so connected to EIA and the business community there, Guess I missed your insight and prediction that UA (+AC, due to metal neutral JV) would trash YEGEWR b/c it was missing all expectations. Odd
You know AC is in a metal-neutral Joint Venture with UA on YEGEWR, right? They would know route performance to the penny and I'm sure the decision to can the route was made in tandem.
Just because you keep saying this, it doesn't make it true. I'm going with what Ben Smith says…

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
AC is competing with UA? Thought they had a JV.
Not approved by the Cdn Competition Bureau - therefore not in effect today
Not approved as requested and no JV in place today.
How many times do I have to say it. We are not in any type of JV with UA on any trans-border route. Sue us and I'll happily say it under oath!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM

Well they sure can affirm flying the E190 with 43 passengers tomorrow? Yes that's the load... I'm surprised this route still exsists.

Oh, btw I quick look at the EWR-YEG route loads for the next flight shows 89 seats occupied.

One of those things that makes you say hmmm???
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
Another genius from Ontario that knows what's best for Edmonton.
I lived in YYT for 4 years back when it had next to no flights, I completely appreciate the frustration. Flying 3 hours backwards to connect overseas is beyond frustrating. But, what I don't understand the is the attitude.

AC say's a direct flight to EU isn't profitable in the winter and cancels it, you jump all over them. Yet 100% of airlines have come to the exact same decision; nobody is offering YEG-EU direct service this winter.

AC says that you should connect in YYZ, YVR, YUL or YYC to go to the EU; you say they despise YEG. FI says you should connect in KEF and you praise their name. Same goes for AA, UA and DL, all of which require connections. Obviously, those can't offer direct Canada-EU flights, so perhaps they can't be held to the same standard. But the service they are offering is no better than AC: 1 stop connection overseas.

I guess, my thought comes down to this question:
- Besides AC, do you also boycott all airlines that have the rights and ability to provide direct YEG-EU and choose not to? If not, why?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:54 pm
Original Member

You know AC is in a metal-neutral Joint Venture with UA on YEGEWR, right?
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Just because you keep saying this, it doesn't make it true.
Sure it does!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
Originally Posted by rehoult
I lived in YYT for 4 years back when it had next to no flights, I completely appreciate the frustration. Flying 3 hours backwards to connect overseas is beyond frustrating. But, what I don't understand the is the attitude.

AC say's a direct flight to EU isn't profitable in the winter and cancels it, you jump all over them. Yet 100% of airlines have come to the exact same decision; nobody is offering YEG-EU direct service this winter.

AC says that you should connect in YYZ, YVR, YUL or YYC to go to the EU; you say they despise YEG. FI says you should connect in KEF and you praise their name. Same goes for AA, UA and DL, all of which require connections. Obviously, those can't offer direct Canada-EU flights, so perhaps they can't be held to the same standard. But the service they are offering is no better than AC: 1 stop connection overseas.

- Besides AC, do you also boycott all airlines that have the rights and ability to provide direct YEG-EU and choose not to? If not, why?
Umm, FI is year round YEG-KEF-Europe according to it's schedules.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:11 am

Just because you keep saying this, it doesn't make it true. I'm going with what Ben Smith says…
Where and when does he state this?

From Oct 24, 2012 Financial Post :
Competition Bureau gives green light to Air Canada, United joint venture
... The Competition Bureau has given the green light to a cross-border joint venture between Air Canada and United Continental Holdings Inc. provided the airlines exclude certain routes from the arrangement.

The bureau said Wednesday it had struck an agreement with the carriers that would “protect and preserve competition” on 14 high-demand routes between Canada and the U.S. that, in part, led the bureau’s initial challenge of the partnership in June 2011
... Air Canada countered the arrangement was pro-competitive because it allowed the airlines to make those routes more viable by reducing excess capacity. Air Canada has a similar arrangement with Deutsche Lufthansa AG and United across the Atlantic, its so-called A++ joint venture. ..
Air Canada has said such ventures are the only way forward for legacy carriers in the face of foreign-ownership restrictions that limit consolidation of airlines across borders.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...-joint-venture/

From G&M Nov 8, 2012 :
Air Canada, United reach deal with Competition Bureau
“Air Canada is pleased this matter has been settled and that an agreement has been reached that preserves our longstanding commercial relationship with our alliance partner, United Airlines, while providing the flexibility to continue building on this relationship for the benefit of both airlines and our customers,” Ben Smith, Air Canada’s executive vice-president and chief commercial officer, said in a separate news release Wednesday.

Now, If Ben Smith comes on and says there is no JV in place with United I will believe it ... Just odd AC claim the need for it, go through all the motions to obtain, get it approved, and then not proceed.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
Well they sure can affirm flying the E190 with 43 passengers tomorrow? Yes that's the load... I'm surprised this route still exsists.
Oh, btw I quick look at the EWR-YEG route loads for the next flight shows 89 seats occupied.
Do you have internal access to this info or are you giving us seat map analysis?
Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
One of those things that makes you say hmmm???
Not if you know better than to correlate LF with profitability
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:27 am

Fair enough. Just found his post from June of this year.
Looks like I am wrong.
That one post from Ben contradicts so much time/effort/speak from both airlines on the matter. I don't get it? He posts "not approved by CB" when, it seems it is approved.
But, Ben's "swear under oath" statement is about as clear as it gets.

My mistake. Thanks for posting his quotes on the matter

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Sep 8, 2014 at 7:38 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:55 am

I don't get it? He posts "not approved by CB" when, it seems it is approved.
It was approved, but as Ben stated in the second quote I referenced... "Not approved as requested..."

IIRC the Competition Bureau approved the JV but required that certain routes be carved-out. I believe that there was approximately 14-16 transborder routes that needed to be excluded from the JV agreement. I can only guess that in order to be worthwhile it needed to be an "all or none" type of approval, as trying to coordinate schedules, fares, etc. while not being able to coordinate on a bunch of key routes would create all sorts of headaches and potential for costly legal mistakes.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by rehoult

What you seem to be missing here is it is one thing for customers to pay more for a direct flight; when AC cuts the direct and forces a connection leaving them selves in nearly the same position/transit time as all the other players; who in their right mind is going to pay this? Who is not going to take the business elsewhere? The 'I will never fly through the USA ever again crowd'? Imagine a family of 5 going on vacation that has to pay 200$ each to not connect in the US, or KEF or where ever! Is a 1000$ more for the same transit time worth it?

And You can defend AC to no end all you like; saying we jump on their backs... what horseradish! Funny how AC launched YTZ-YUL to drive porter out of the market; funny how they haven't abandoned that money loosing venture and put those DH4's on other routes; what say you to that?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
While marketing and yield management are not my forte, airlines do not drop routes which meet or exceed revenue and profitability targets.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:24 am

It was approved, but as Ben stated in the second quote I referenced... "Not approved as requested..."
IIRC the Competition Bureau approved the JV but required that certain routes be carved-out. I believe that there was approximately 14-16 transborder routes that needed to be excluded from the JV agreement.
All True. However, Ben's response after agreement between AC, UA and the Competition Bureau regarding the Carve out routes (emphasis mine) :

“Air Canada is pleased this matter has been settled and that an agreement has been reached that preserves our longstanding commercial relationship with our alliance partner, United Airlines, while providing the flexibility to continue building on this relationship for the benefit of both airlines and our customers,” Ben Smith, Air Canada’s executive vice-president and chief commercial officer, said in a separate news release Wednesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.