Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
LOL. This again.
When (if) they do upgauge/increase service to YEG, you will look like a genius!
I heard AA wasn't making a number of moves, rather they were going to make a few moves and contemplate doing things and possibly changing up stuff. I've heard they're on the verge of getting close to making a decision about possibly adding or reducing service to a yet to be determined place, possibly

ProudEdmontonian, you're so connected to EIA and the business community there, Guess I missed your insight and prediction that UA (+AC, due to metal neutral JV) would trash YEGEWR b/c it was missing all expectations. Odd
Another genius from Ontario that knows what's best for Edmonton.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:37 pm

Comical to read basement all-stars daring to engage a guy who's front-and-centre to all the action, armed with actual data
What's comical is the kool aid drinkers who take every word as gospel.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
Hey! That's not a fair compliment about us from Ontario!!!

Take it in stride. He's clearly the boy who stands in a urinal and looks at his neighbour thinking "I'm bigger than you are".

Comparing a market that is nearing 5 mil pax (YOW) to one that is well ahead even without those FBO numbers (YEG) is like comparing YYC to YYZ.

Things should keep growing out your way, KLM has begin adjusting it's schedules for S15, and is on the heels of launching YEG-AMS.

That market is growing at a outrageous pace, as it shows in the numbers.

For a "hub-less" airport I'd say your doing pretty darn well! It's a shame that UA dumped EWR after 17 months but when you look at loads from YYC on the EMB-190 (AC) and WS 737-700 (occasional) -600 to the New York region loads aren't very spectacular for both albeit ones only seasonal. I'd bet a EMB-190 would do well on the route but unlikely with AC as they are surely now banking on the extra bums for YYC-New York area to fill up the (most of the time) half empty E190.

Otherwise DFW looks solid from looking at loads and the new (for AA) YEG-LAX route is also booking up solidly for it's OCT launch while WS seems to have no impact on it's own YEG-LAX route load wise.

I watch your market closely, as it's evolved very quickly into something that's getting bigger at very rapid pace.

Last edited by PlanetYYZ; Sep 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
Hey! That's not a fair compliment about us from Ontario!!!

Take it in stride. He's clearly the boy who stands in a urinal and looks at his neighbour thinking "I'm bigger than you are".

Comparing a market that is nearing 5 mil pax (YOW) to one that is well ahead even without those FBO numbers (YEG) is like comparing YYC to YYZ.

Things should keep growing out your way, KLM has begin adjusting it's schedules for S15, and is on the heels of launching YEG-AMS.

That market is growing at a outrageous pace, as it shows in the numbers.

For a "hub-less" airport I'd say your doing pretty darn well! It's a shame that UA dumped EWR after 17 months but when you look at loads from YYC on the EMB-190 (AC) and WS 737-700 (occasional) -600 to the New York region loads aren't very spectacular for both albeit ones only seasonal. I'd bet a EMB-190 would do well on the route but unlikely with AC as they are surely now banking on the extra bums for YYC-New York area to fill up the (most of the time) half empty E190.

Otherwise DFW looks solid from looking at loads and the new (for AA) YEG-LAX route is also booking up solidly for it's OCT launch while WS seems to have no impact on it's own YEG-LAX route load wise.

I watch your market closely, as it's evolved very quickly into something that's getting bigger at very rapid pace.
Although a card-carrying Albertan (i.e., born here), my BA is from Carleton, and my professional degree is from U of T so I know the difference between types of Ontarians.

As for flying to NYC via YYC, it's not going to happen as most of the business people I know will be going via either ORD or MSP as they prefer clearing in YEG as opposed to another Canadian city.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought this threrad was about YOW, not Red Deer?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
I thought this threrad was about YOW, not Red Deer?
Nope.

Can we thread drift to YWG next?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Is the flood of 67's over to rouge really making things that much more profitable?
What would you do with undesirable frames? Anyone looking for uneconomical 767s? Perhaps Rouge is a lesser evil to all other options with unwanted, noncompetitive B767 and A319s
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
What's comical is the kool aid drinkers who take every word as gospel.
And some wait for your next "something is brewing at some point" notes ... We never hear much follow up or get any insight into the cutbacks at YEG.
Show where I state YOW is ahead of YEG. Anywhere.
I asked 2 times if including FBO figures was industry norm when airports released their statistics. Why did YEG's grand Press Release for 2013 not include FBO figures? Never got an answer to that.
If you're going to present a comparative list, It's a swell idea to use the same underlying inclusions for every airport, don't you think?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

- Now that I am forced to connect, I'll start looking at options instead of just funneling my travel through FRA on AC.

You might want to funnel everything through YYZ, but unless I can get a direct connection from there (TLV, etc.) it looks like it is time to consider other options than AC for EMEA travel.
Connect onto Turkish or Swiss! A few airports to choose from now. It is nice to mix it up.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:12 pm

Why did YEG's grand Press Release for 2013 not include FBO figures? Never got an answer to that.
If you're going to present a comparative list, It's a swell idea to use the same underlying inclusions for every airport, don't you think?
Because they didn't start including the FBO numbers until 2014.

As has been pointed out to you, YYC also includes FBO numbers.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
Agreed, I flew TK this summer from YYZ and the service was pretty decent as we routed YYZ-IST-DXB. It's a decent flight with lots of options once in IST.

And take it easy folks, I saw YEG mentioned followed by a bit of bashing and put in my two cents. I thought YEG bashing was a pre 2000's novelty?

I guess not everyone agree's?

I'm feisty, stay tuned...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
And out of curiosity Ben (and with all due respect) does this business case take into consideration the costs with IRROPS when things inevitably go wrong at YYZ? Does this include the cost of lost business to other carriers who, if they do not have access to a non stop and are forced to connect, will connect on another airline?
If AC doesn't take these things into account, they'd be dumb. And I don't think they're dumb.

Why was the service not reduced?
Maybe they thought they still wouldn't make enough money to justify the expense.

Why not try out a one stop YOW-YMX-FRA?
Isn't YMX an all cargo airport? Wouldn't anyone wanting to fly from/through Montreal use YUL?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Although a card-carrying Albertan (i.e., born here), my BA is from Carleton, and my professional degree is from U of T so I know the difference between types of Ontarians.

As for flying to NYC via YYC, it's not going to happen as most of the business people I know will be going via either ORD or MSP as they prefer clearing in YEG as opposed to another Canadian city.
Wasn't there one IAH flight at one point (redeye) which did not preclear?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Another genius from Ontario that knows what's best for Edmonton.
At least YOW AIF is $23 instead of an extortionate $30...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:15 pm

I'd bet a EMB-190 would do well on the route but unlikely with AC as they are surely now banking on the extra bums for YYC-New York area to fill up the (most of the time) half empty E190.
You know AC is in a metal-neutral Joint Venture with UA on YEGEWR, right? They would know route performance to the penny and I'm sure the decision to can the route was made in tandem.
Would seem they don't share your bet an E90 would do well in the least
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Wasn't there one IAH flight at one point (redeye) which did not preclear?
The second flight which is on the winter schedule is the one that doesn't pre-clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.