Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:00 pm

Sounds like UAL just did what AC did with their aircraft and utilized them on routes that they believed worked better for that aircraft type. As mentioned UAL cut YEG-EWR and many other markets as of late, just ask Fort McMurray, Saskatoon, and Regina. The rumour is that EWR will return seasonally from YEG, but we will see.

I also do not hold it against Air Canada that they choose to focus aircraft at their hubs, not YEG or YOW. One also have to realize they are utilizing the aircraft type on highly profitable winter routes and Rouge is slowly taking over 767's. Obviously YEG and YOW can support flights to more than one European destination during the winter months. By the sounds of it YEG will have FI (daily during summer, and 3-4x weekly winter) and KLM (4xweekly) serving Europe next year, it will be interesting to see the reaction.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We don't ask for protection we ask for a level playing field.
If you say so. It would carry a lot more weight if AC paid heed to similar claims from your suppliers. Judging by AC's sourcing of certain goods/maintenance contracts, it would, I think, be reasonable to conclude that this argument is only trotted out when it suits AC. I just happen to think that this is a cynical approach.

There have been some changes since the flights you mentioned were introduced.
Undoubtedly. Not questioning your business acumen or the rationale for the decision. That said, just pointing out that AC drew a causal relationship between more access to Canada, and service from secondary cities like YOW, and once it got its way, reduced service regardless. The consumer has come out a net loser in this case, in no small part thanks to an AC claim that purported to protect the interest of the consumer.

Iceland was granted open skies to Canada on a promise to fly year-round service to YHZ. This never materialized. YEG offered an incentive to FI to fly to YEG and unfortunately the YEG-tatlantic market could not support 2 players during the slow winter so we redeployed our asset to a more lucrative opportunity.
Why is Icelandair not being held to account? That aside, why is Transport Canada in favor of promoting YHZ over YEG, given the relatively higher number of TATL options, albeit mostly seasonal, from YHZ?

Canada unlike the US and many other countries does not mandate gvt employees to fly locally based airlines. The recently introduced increase in ON jet fuel tax does not help either.
Given the reported budget cuts, I would imagine that the government, like the private sector, now focuses on finding the cheapest flights for employees. That is in AC's control, is it not? I would be very surprised if Cdn Govt employees are paying more to fly US carriers/transit through the US, given that they are the only international airlines operating in YOW.

The tax is, frankly, daft. Can't help but wonder if ON's relative indifference to AC's arguments are related to this:

“The U.A.E. is an important part of the financial nerve centre for the Gulf region, with real importance as a commercial partner for Ontario, and Canada,” McGuinty wrote in his two-page missive.
“I am concerned that the ongoing dispute between your government and the U.A.E. over the U.A.E. airlines’ request to expand air services to Canada will hamper Ontario’s ability to sign deals and attract investors.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian
UA has slashed routes everywhere as they attempt to right the ship from the poor merger.

UA will be back in the spring on a seasonal basis.
So when UA cuts a YEG route it's totally okay, just a business decision, righting the ship and calmly accepted. When AC does the same it's to punish YEG'ers?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The master plan is that YEG shall remain forever captive through whatever means and all traffic ex-Canada must go through YYZ/YYC/YVR no matter what.

Yet the ingrates in YEG refuse to abide by the plan and fly YEG-YYC-LHR or preferably YEG-YYZ-everywhere in the world.

UA has slashed routes everywhere as they attempt to right the ship from the poor merger.

UA will be back in the spring on a seasonal basis.
Ah, I see it is OK for UA to slash to make things right and you are accepting of such, grudgingly. AC does that as well and you feel slighted. One captive FT'er to another
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
As a YOW-er, I'm disappointed the route has been dropped completely through the winter months. I can't say I"m a frequent flier on it, but the several times I do fly it each year (some of them winter) the flight was full.

It is what it is. People will choose to either stay with AC and connect in YUL or YYZ. Or, they'll find other transport to Europe. Again, through YUL or YYZ.

Fortunately, this flight will return in the spring. I will only have to use a YUL/YYZ connection once or twice for the time YOW_FRA is not available.

I'm surprised that LHR wasn't sacrificed instead of FRA, from YOW. AC has limited options with Star through LHR. Whereas FRA is virtually unlimited with LH.

Things could be worse. It could have been discontinued completely.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:36 pm

Were the route slashes totally random? Blind?
Or isolated to poor performing sectors?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:42 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I am totally surprised that YOW-FRA has been dropped seasonally. From my experience this flight was always packed and very hard to score an U/G on.

It picked up a lot of traffic from other cities like YHZ, YWG, etc, and fed a lot of passengers into LHs on going system. A shame it did not go at least several times weekly as opposed to daily.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
I flew the route in mid-July and the plane was over 50% empty. Most people got to sit by a window seat, and then use a 3-row middle section for sleeping.

I am sad to see the route go seasonal though, it arrived at a good time and seemed much more comfortable than flying back to YYZ and shuffling onto a larger plane. YOW is usually a pretty quiet airport compared to others nearby.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
When I used to look for YYZ-FRA or YYZ-LHR J awards on Aeroplan I would always get the flights connecting out of YOW being the only ones showing J availability. Of course if you looked for YOW-LHR or FRA in J on the same days you would get the YYZ-FRA or LHR in J and only Y on the direct flights.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by djkyyc
So when UA cuts a YEG route it's totally okay, just a business decision, righting the ship and calmly accepted. When AC does the same it's to punish YEG'ers?
^

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
I am totally surprised that YOW-FRA has been dropped seasonally. From my experience this flight was always packed and very hard to score an U/G on.
Just because it was packed doesn't necessarily mean it was profitable.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by acysb87
Ah, I see it is OK for UA to slash to make things right and you are accepting of such, grudgingly. AC does that as well and you feel slighted. One captive FT'er to another
we can only hope West Jet will fly to Sudbury to save the local people from Air Canada.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by 100,000miler

It picked up a lot of traffic from other cities like YHZ, YWG, etc, and fed a lot of passengers into LHs on going system. A shame it did not go at least several times weekly as opposed to daily.
you have 1MM status there is no need to fly AC anymore.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by nowinyow
I'm surprised that LHR wasn't sacrificed instead of FRA, from YOW. AC has limited options with Star through LHR.

My guess is that AC must use their slots at LHR to be able to retain them, FRA isn't as slot constrained as LHR thus probably not as difficult to reinstate a flight to FRA.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
we can only hope West Jet will fly to Sudbury to save the local people from Air Canada.
Passenger traffic just not enough for Westjet to come here. Too much leakage to Hwy 69/400/,YYZ and believe it or not BUF.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
If I remembered correctly I have never had a YYZ-YOW-FRA flight... Is this very specific time/day or AC.com just don't really show it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.