FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:01 am
yulred

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We don't ask for protection we ask for a level playing field.
If you say so. It would carry a lot more weight if AC paid heed to similar claims from your suppliers. Judging by AC's sourcing of certain goods/maintenance contracts, it would, I think, be reasonable to conclude that this argument is only trotted out when it suits AC. I just happen to think that this is a cynical approach.

There have been some changes since the flights you mentioned were introduced.
Undoubtedly. Not questioning your business acumen or the rationale for the decision. That said, just pointing out that AC drew a causal relationship between more access to Canada, and service from secondary cities like YOW, and once it got its way, reduced service regardless. The consumer has come out a net loser in this case, in no small part thanks to an AC claim that purported to protect the interest of the consumer.

Iceland was granted open skies to Canada on a promise to fly year-round service to YHZ. This never materialized. YEG offered an incentive to FI to fly to YEG and unfortunately the YEG-tatlantic market could not support 2 players during the slow winter so we redeployed our asset to a more lucrative opportunity.
Why is Icelandair not being held to account? That aside, why is Transport Canada in favor of promoting YHZ over YEG, given the relatively higher number of TATL options, albeit mostly seasonal, from YHZ?

Canada unlike the US and many other countries does not mandate gvt employees to fly locally based airlines. The recently introduced increase in ON jet fuel tax does not help either.
Given the reported budget cuts, I would imagine that the government, like the private sector, now focuses on finding the cheapest flights for employees. That is in AC's control, is it not? I would be very surprised if Cdn Govt employees are paying more to fly US carriers/transit through the US, given that they are the only international airlines operating in YOW.

The tax is, frankly, daft. Can't help but wonder if ON's relative indifference to AC's arguments are related to this:

“The U.A.E. is an important part of the financial nerve centre for the Gulf region, with real importance as a commercial partner for Ontario, and Canada,” McGuinty wrote in his two-page missive.
“I am concerned that the ongoing dispute between your government and the U.A.E. over the U.A.E. airlines’ request to expand air services to Canada will hamper Ontario’s ability to sign deals and attract investors.