Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Not surprising, YOW is stagnant compared to the other major Canadian airports.

YEG: Jan-July 4,769,759 (+8.1%), rolling 12 mo: 8,054,263
YOW: Jan-July 2,701,958 (+0.2%), rolling 12 mo: 4,584,278
A simple check of the EIA website show your YEG numbers to be overstated somewhat.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:19 pm

No, but thanks for trying.

http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de..._report_p1.pdf
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
Not surprising, YOW is stagnant compared to the other major Canadian airports.

YYZ: Jan-June 18,371,030 (+5.6%), rolling 12 mo: 37,088,499
YVR: Jan-July 11,151,541 (+8.1%), rolling 12 mo: 18,808,653
YYC: Jan-July 8,765,398. (+7.5%), rolling 12 mo: 14,930,945
YUL: Jan-June 7,155,071 (+3.0%), rolling 12 mo: 14,304,334
YEG: Jan-July 4,769,759 (+8.1%), rolling 12 mo: 8,054,263
YOW: Jan-July 2,701,958 (+0.2%), rolling 12 mo: 4,584,278
my sister works in the CRA, last year she flew once a month or so, this year she has not flown and her department at least is cutting lots of travel. So big function of the YOW number is federal government cutting spending I'd assume.
Some of what they used to do has been pushed to private companies in Toronto and Calgary so they will do the flying instead.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:44 pm

Are you including FBO movements!? LOL. Well played.
Are FBO figures typically included in reported Annual Passenger Totals? Or just at YEG?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:31 pm

Not sure, but that is how EIA reports their numbers now. Excluding the FBOs YEG is still at 5.6% growth.

Nice defecting skills though
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Are you including FBO movements!? LOL. Well played.
Are FBO figures typically included in reported Annual Passenger Totals? Or just at YEG?
YYC has counted FBO operations for a number of years prior to YEG who just started including them this past year.

Both airports include them as they have become important players with the large number of oilsands related movements with everything from B1900's upto 737's, in addition Corporate movements are not counted in these numbers.

Still looks good to me for YEG growth overall, not a stagnant market at all, crazy growth out west to say the least.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:23 am

Not sure, but that is how EIA reports their numbers now.
Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
YYC has counted FBO operations for a number of years prior to YEG who just started including them this past year.

Both airports include them as they have become important players with the large number of oilsands related movements with everything from B1900's upto 737's, in addition Corporate movements are not counted in these numbers.
The same EIA that clearly details FBO movements separately from Terminal??

The same EIA that issued this Press Release?? :

The sky was the limit for EIA in 2013: Record passenger numbers
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
January 14, 2014 (Edmonton, AB) – Air service and aviation business in the Edmonton Region grew rapidly in 2013 to meet community demand.

“These record-breaking numbers show that Edmonton International Airport completed its expansion just in time.

Highlights of 2013 at EIA

Record Passenger Numbers: 2013 was the busiest year in EIA history with 6,983,000 passengers served; 306,000 more than in 2012.

Numbers of Passengers Served at EIA from January 1 to December 31, 2013

Domestic 5,312,226 = 4% growth
US Transborder 1,264,796 = 7.7% growth
International 406,207 = 3.4% growth
Overall 6,983,229 = 4.6% growth – all time record!
Business Aviation: In addition to regularly scheduled airline passenger service, corporate charter flights from the private terminals at EIA had increased by 30% in 2013, to nearly 26,000 landings.

http://corporate.flyeia.com/news/sky...senger-numbers

No one debating YEG is growing.
Including FBO in comparative passenger stats when the norm does not is comparing apples to oranges.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
You asked if any other airports carry this practice, I was pointing out to you that YYC is also doing this, and has for sometime.

That's all...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Because of this change I will have to rebook my routing. I was really trying to avoid YYZ in November as it seems the slightest thing can cause chaos with huge delays thus the initial YOW booking. Frankfurt is just a transition point so it isn't absolutely necessary I go through FRA. I know I can go YYC - FRA and on but that got me thinking. If I use YYC, I could take BA to LHR which has a 787 listed for that day and then QATAR on the new 380 to DOH... awfully tempting. Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Binflyin
Because of this change I will have to rebook my routing. I was really trying to avoid YYZ in November as it seems the slightest thing can cause chaos with huge delays thus the initial YOW booking. Frankfurt is just a transition point so it isn't absolutely necessary I go through FRA. I know I can go YYC - FRA and on but that got me thinking. If I use YYC, I could take BA to LHR which has a 787 listed for that day and then QATAR on the new 380 to DOH... awfully tempting. Thoughts?
If in J, longer transatlantic flights are always preferable. Longer night sleep.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Binflyin
You are worried about chaos at YYZ but are prepared to connect at LHR.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: ACSEMM, WY Gold
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I know right!

LHR is my second least favourite airport behind YYZ but for a chance to fly on a BA 787 and the Qatar 380 I think I might be willing to do it.

An alternative might be going through the US... I will have to look and see what flights are available and how the connections line up.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I go through LHR fairly frequently and have never had trouble there, even in Nov/Dec. I'd choose the BA/QR option myself to get the longer flights as Stranger mentioned.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I go through LHR fairly frequently and have never had trouble there, even in Nov/Dec. I'd choose the BA/QR option myself to get the longer flights as Stranger mentioned.
You have been very lucky then. LHR is an absolute meltdown waiting to happen and it melts down quite frequently. OP could connect at YUL for a QR flight to Doha.Avoids both YYZ and LHR.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Member

You have been very lucky then. LHR is an absolute meltdown waiting to happen and it melts down quite frequently. OP could connect at YUL for a QR flight to Doha.Avoids both YYZ and LHR.
I used to connect in LHR on every flight to Europe, which meant I might be through LHR 30 or more times in a year. In all those years there was only one meltdown -- and BA gave me $11,000 for my troubles.

Meltdowns in YYZ on the other hand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.