Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by hearna
You say that but AC already has YYT-YUL-YOW (R/T) and YUL-YOW-YYC (R/T) Or at least do seasonally; AC also operates YYZ-YUL-BRU and YYZ-YUL-GVA...
BRU originates and terminates @ YUL flights 832/833. I think this was done largely to support OTP (on-time performance). Convenient A330 connections to/from YYZ are provided by flights 418/415.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
Lots of airlines still offer same plane multi stop service.
Not on 100 mile segments with little traffic.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
BRU originates and terminates @ YUL flights 832/833. I think this was done largely to support OTP (on-time performance). Convenient A330 connections to/from YYZ are provided by flights 418/415.
Originally 832/833 was indeed scheduled as YYZ-YUL-BRU, but later, they switched to the two different flights, as ACYYZ/SD pointed out. I was on the former flight a number of times. In May my daughter and family flew from YYZ to BRU via YUL. Already was 418+832. Same plane too, actually.

So makes no difference, except you get more miles.

I suspect in addition to OTP stuff that ACYYZ/SD mentioned, they had to switch way too often the YUL-YYZ leg to a different type because of delays on the transatlantic leg. Which must have piss*ed off some folks.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Originally 832/833 was indeed scheduled as YYZ-YUL-BRU, but later, they switched to the two different flights, as ACYYZ/SD pointed out. I was on the former flight a number of times. In May my daughter and family flew from YYZ to BRU via YUL. Already was 418+832. Same plane too, actually.

I suspect in addition to OTP stuff that ACYYZ/SD mentioned, they had to switch way too often the YUL-YYZ leg to a different type because of delays on the transatlantic leg. Which must have piss*ed off some folks.
Thru flights are difficult to manage due to systems limitations, both on the operations and commercial systems side. In the case of BRU, the benefit of having the thru was outweighed by the negative impacts and manual workarounds required at the airport. In the case of other thru flights (GVA, SYD etc) there is a commercial benefit to AC to keep it, even if from a customer standpoint either way you need to get on/off the plane at the connection point.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Stranger

IIRC, 832 as a thru flight (YYZ-YUL-BRU) departed @ 1700, undoubtedly one of the busiest times of the day at Pearson. I would suspect it was (and remains) a priority flight given the number of Africa-bound SN connections @ BRU. Often the Crew works the 418/832 - 833/415 combination, and as Stranger pointed out, it's generally the same aircraft. The 1600 departure of 418 provides an extra hour buffer in the event of traffic congestion, allows for the aircraft to be properly groomed and catered, and allows the Crew to welcome guests in a more relaxed fashion. On the return, there were often "line-breaks" (change of aircraft/equipment) for delayed inbounds. As Customers have to disembark in YUL on the outbound and go through customs on the inbound, this is a much more sane operation. ^
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Not on 100 mile segments with little traffic.
Remember going to YOW as a kid to see AC 747-400 inbound from YMX. Can't imagine there's ever been regularly scheduled B747 service on a sector shorter than that on any airline.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: AA DL LH BA KL AM
On a 100 mile segments you still have TS and Sunwing combining some but not all of it's sun destinations on YEG-YYC-South and YYC-YEG-South during the winter months.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
On a 100 mile segments you still have TS and Sunwing combining some but not all of it's sun destinations on YEG-YYC-South and YYC-YEG-South during the winter months.
Why would any of those carriers backtrack?
(unless people like one very prominent poster from that city are booking the flight...)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why would any of those carriers backtrack?
(unless people like one very prominent poster from that city are booking the flight...)
I believe its all about where the aircraft terminates on its prior flight as many may operate CUN-YYC one day then be scheduled to operate YYC-YEG-MBJ the following day as shown in the carriers schedules particularly with the A330 (TS) that requires more than just one cities lift to fill the aircraft. However this winter seems to show Sunwing will have more fights (and destinations) from YEG than YYC or YVR albeit with most being NS.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:47 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Remember going to YOW as a kid to see AC 747-400 inbound from YMX. Can't imagine there's ever been regularly scheduled B747 service on a sector shorter than that on any airline.
Didn't KLM operate AMS-AUA-CUR-AMS with a 747 Combi for a while?

Had to look it up, but AUA-CUR is 11 miles shorter.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:43 am

I think this was the flight that I took at the end of August that continued on from YOW to YVR? I also read somewhere on here that AC would be increasing the number of widebody aircraft flying domestically? The pod was quite nice on a 4.5 hour flight.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We don't ask for protection we ask for a level playing field.
There have been some changes since the flights you mentioned were introduced.
Iceland was granted open skies to Canada on a promise to fly year-round service to YHZ. This never materialized. YEG offered an incentive to FI to fly to YEG and unfortunately the YEG-tatlantic market could not support 2 players during the slow winter so we redeployed our asset to a more lucrative opportunity.
Canada unlike the US and many other countries does not mandate gvt employees to fly locally based airlines. The recently introduced increase in ON jet fuel tax does not help either.
Hi Ben, is there any chance you can work with the YOW Airport Authority to try and get a break on airport/terminal fees on your YOW transatlantic routes during the slower winter months to try and make YOW-FRA viable year-round again for winter 2015-16? Have the recent government cutbacks hurt YOW-FRA as what prompts AC to go from 5x/week to 0x/week? I agree that the Canadian Gov't does nothing to support local carriers. While I as a civil servant always choose YOW first, I have heard countless times of people willingly go to YUL via the AF or KL bus (and nobody ever drives from here to fly AC at YUL). As an Ottawan, it drives me nuts to hear people do that and not support their local nonstop transatlantic air service.

I hate to say it, but like YEG-LHR, you're leaving yourself very vulnerable to FI launching YOW within the next couple of years, especially when FI start taking delivery of the 737MAX.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by YoYUL
Hi Ben, is there any chance you can work with the YOW Airport Authority to try and get a break on airport/terminal fees on your YOW transatlantic routes during the slower winter months to try and make YOW-FRA viable year-round again for winter 2015-16? Have the recent government cutbacks hurt YOW-FRA as what prompts AC to go from 5x/week to 0x/week? I agree that the Canadian Gov't does nothing to support local carriers. While I as a civil servant always choose YOW first, I have heard countless times of people willingly go to YUL via the AF or KL bus (and nobody ever drives from here to fly AC at YUL). As an Ottawan, it drives me nuts to hear people do that and not support their local nonstop transatlantic air service.

I hate to say it, but like YEG-LHR, you're leaving yourself very vulnerable to FI launching YOW within the next couple of years, especially when FI start taking delivery of the 737MAX.
Agreed, YOW is a likely candidate for FI in the next couple of years.

And I do believe the YEG-LHR route isn't viable in the winter months as YYC-LHR traffic also drops off and having the feed from YEG to YYC-LHR becomes seasonably important to maintain YYC-LHR profitably.

Traffic has already begun dropping on the route and the 763 has now taken over YYC-LHR as the 77W becomes slightly too large during the winter months.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Used to fly CDG-AMS on the Varig 777 back in the early 2000's regularly, was a great way to get there! Between 40 and 90 euros round trip and even sandwich and a drink! Not 747 but still fun.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/1450633/
http://www.flightforum.ch/board/inde...p-vrb-cdg-ams/
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by YoYUL
Hi Ben, is there any chance you can work with the YOW Airport Authority to try and get a break on airport/terminal fees on your YOW transatlantic routes during the slower winter months to try and make YOW-FRA viable .
Free landing fees would not make more of a saving than less than 1% of the costs on the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.