FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:39 pm
ac-YUL

Originally Posted by Stranger
Originally 832/833 was indeed scheduled as YYZ-YUL-BRU, but later, they switched to the two different flights, as ACYYZ/SD pointed out. I was on the former flight a number of times. In May my daughter and family flew from YYZ to BRU via YUL. Already was 418+832. Same plane too, actually.

So makes no difference, except you get more miles.

I suspect in addition to OTP stuff that ACYYZ/SD mentioned, they had to switch way too often the YUL-YYZ leg to a different type because of delays on the transatlantic leg. Which must have piss*ed off some folks.
Thru flights are difficult to manage due to systems limitations, both on the operations and commercial systems side. In the case of BRU, the benefit of having the thru was outweighed by the negative impacts and manual workarounds required at the airport. In the case of other thru flights (GVA, SYD etc) there is a commercial benefit to AC to keep it, even if from a customer standpoint either way you need to get on/off the plane at the connection point.