FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC 838/839 Winter Changes; Air Canada drops Ottawa-Frankfurt flight for winter
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:17 pm
ProudEdmontonian

Originally Posted by PlanetYYZ
Hey! That's not a fair compliment about us from Ontario!!!

Take it in stride. He's clearly the boy who stands in a urinal and looks at his neighbour thinking "I'm bigger than you are".

Comparing a market that is nearing 5 mil pax (YOW) to one that is well ahead even without those FBO numbers (YEG) is like comparing YYC to YYZ.

Things should keep growing out your way, KLM has begin adjusting it's schedules for S15, and is on the heels of launching YEG-AMS.

That market is growing at a outrageous pace, as it shows in the numbers.

For a "hub-less" airport I'd say your doing pretty darn well! It's a shame that UA dumped EWR after 17 months but when you look at loads from YYC on the EMB-190 (AC) and WS 737-700 (occasional) -600 to the New York region loads aren't very spectacular for both albeit ones only seasonal. I'd bet a EMB-190 would do well on the route but unlikely with AC as they are surely now banking on the extra bums for YYC-New York area to fill up the (most of the time) half empty E190.

Otherwise DFW looks solid from looking at loads and the new (for AA) YEG-LAX route is also booking up solidly for it's OCT launch while WS seems to have no impact on it's own YEG-LAX route load wise.

I watch your market closely, as it's evolved very quickly into something that's getting bigger at very rapid pace.
Although a card-carrying Albertan (i.e., born here), my BA is from Carleton, and my professional degree is from U of T so I know the difference between types of Ontarians.

As for flying to NYC via YYC, it's not going to happen as most of the business people I know will be going via either ORD or MSP as they prefer clearing in YEG as opposed to another Canadian city.