Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Official AC Representative Q&A Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jasper2009
Dear AC forum members,

We're sure most of you have been following New AC Presence on FT which has received a huge amount of responses.

In order to better manage the discussion and to ensure the AC representatives have a chance to read and reply to all the comments and questions, we've decided to slightly modify the format of the discussion:

(1) The core purpose of this thread is to allow a dialogue between FTers and AC management. As in the previous thread you may ask questions and provide feedback to AC management and the AC representatives will do their best to reply to the feedback/questions posted.
(2) FTers are welcome to reply to any of the AC representatives' posts.
(3) We kindly ask that FTers refrain from replying to other FTers' posts. The goal is to have a more streamlined Q&A thread.
(4) If you have any suggestions regarding this thread, kindly contact any of the moderators via PM or send a message using the RBP button.
(5) Should you not have received a reply to a question raised in the previous AC presence thread, you may re-post it in the new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

And, by multiple requests from forum members, this thread is now a sticky!

Air Canada forum moderators
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Dear AC forum members,

We're sure most of you have been following http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...esence-ft.html which has received a huge amount of responses.

In order to better manage the discussion and to ensure the AC representatives have a chance to read and reply to all the comments and questions, we've decided to slightly modify the format of the discussion:

(1) The core purpose of this thread is to allow a dialogue between FTers and AC management. As in the previous thread you may ask questions and provide feedback to AC management and the AC representatives will do their best to reply to the feedback/questions posted.
(2) FTers are welcome to reply to any of the AC representatives' posts.
(3) We kindly ask that FTers refrain from replying to other FTers' posts. The goal is to have a more streamlined Q&A thread.
(4) If you have any suggestions regarding this thread, kindly contact any of the moderators via PM or send a message using the RBP button.
(5) Should you not have received a reply to a question raised on the previous AC presence thread, you may re-post it in the new thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Jasper2009 & tcook052
Air Canada Moderators

Last edited by Jasper2009; Jun 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 11:46 pm

AC Altitude - Segment Questions

Thank you very much to both Ben's for recently engaging AC's FF'ers on this board. I've really enjoyed reading their comments.

I have a few questions about Altitude benefits for those people who qualify by segments. All Altitude levels allow qualification via AQM and AQS, where 1 AQS is viewed as being equivalent to 1000 AQM. Once a certain status level is achieved, it seems to me that almost all of the Altitude benefits are provided only on the basis of AQM; Altitude members who qualify via AQS are somewhat disadvantaged. For example:
  • Threshold eUpgrades are awarded for every 20k AQM, but not every 20 AQS. I, know several people who qualify primarily via segments that are <500 miles. An SE who re-qualifies via segments would earn approximately 50k miles and earn 50% of the eUpgrade credits of an SE who qualifies on miles. I'm not advocating for a revenue based system, but many short flights are much more expensive on a CPM basis than longer flights. Is is possible to award eUpgrades for every 20 AQS OR 20k AQM? I'd think that this should be relatively easy to set-up as the criteria for each threshold would function the same as how minimum AC-metal AQM or AQS is determined.
  • Threshold gifts - similar to point above.
  • Altitude Qualifying Miles for eligible Flight Pass activities - AQM are awarded for this select benefit, and can be quite useful for those looking to qualify for Altitude status on AQM, but doesn't provide much value for those who qualify on AQS. I'd like to see AQS awarded in addition to AQM for this select benefit.

Also, the MM program is based on AC metal miles. Is there any chance that AC will allow qualification for AC segments (i.e. 1000, 2000 and 3000 AC metal segments)?
Old May 31, 2014, 12:30 am

Miscellaneous Questions

Here are a few more miscellaneous questions/comments...

eUpgrade validity - Currently, if someone earns eUpgrade credits for crossing a threshold, the credits expire at the end of the current status year. For example, if someone crosses a 20k threshold in October, they'll be awarded eUpgrades that expire approximately 4 months later on February 28 or 29. I suggest that eUpgrades be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of award (i.e. 12 months from date of issue, or the end of the current status year, whichever is later).

Stand-by of Tango/Flex fares (not same day confirmed changes) - AC currently allows for Same-day Airport Standby on Rapidair routes only. I'd like to see this expanded for all domestic/transborder/sun Flex fares (and maybe introduce a $75 charge on Tango fares that gets charged only if the standby clears). I've often had to connect in places such as YYC when heading home to YEG and had a 85 minute connection booked due to MCT. When travelling without checked luggage I've often been able to get to the gate before an earlier flight would even start boarding and asked if I could get the earlier flight. The odd time, the GA's let me take the earlier flight for free. I would decline if I was asked to pay, and would instead go to the lounge and enjoy the food/beverages in the MLL at AC's expense.

Same-day airport change fee - I haven't used this in quite some time, but have paid the SDC fee quite a few times. IMHO it's often worth it to be able to pay the fee at OLCI and know I'll be on the flight before I even head to the airport. In my experience, at OLCI I am only ever offered SDC for the next 1-2 flights over the next few hours. It would be very useful if at OLCI all of the day's options were presented for SDC (even those that take place after the original flight's departure time). When I wasn't an SE (and couldn't simply call concierge), if I had to take a later flight for some reason, I'd have to go to the airport, pay the SDC fee, and then return to the office, and then go back to the airport for the later flight.

Tango/Flex differential - this was discussed and answered extensively in the previous thread, so I won't repeat that conversation. My concern is related to AC's "seat sales." When there are domestic seat sales, it is typically only the Tango fares that are discounted. I'd be more inclined to purchase an additional trip if Flex and Latitude fares were also discounted.

Promotion codes - AC.com only allows for 1 promotion code to be used at a time. I've had several discount codes to use in the past, however I couldn't use these in conjunction with the Altitude "aircanada.com travel option" benefit. I had to choose the discount or the Altitude benefits as the "travel options" state "This privilege cannot be used in conjunction with Flight Pass reservations or Aeroplan Flight Rewards, be applied retroactively to a previously completed reservation, or be used together with another promotion code." It would be great if these codes could be used on "manage my bookings" for any AC travel, regardless of booking channel (AC.com, TA, Aeroplan), or if another discount code was previously used.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC,BA,CA,SPG,ICHG, HERTZ
Ben Smith, will AC be differentiating the various levels of the MM club for in flight service and boarding/EUP grades,etc. To be precise will 2MM/3MM etc. show up on BP's and manifests?
Old May 31, 2014, 7:31 am

B787 new routes

Ben, thanks for taking the time to post on FT

My question is: Other than HND, when can we expect an announcement on new AC routes using B787? And, can you tell us what is on your "wish" list?
Old May 31, 2014, 10:04 am

1) Does AC have any plans to work with CDG to improve the ground and especially the gate situation? Now that CDG is served by the 777HD, moving back to the old gates on a permanent basis would be a better option, considering the increase in passengers.

2) Are there any plans to rework the lounge at CDG, now that AA has vacated their lounge? Like the gate area, the increase of passengers has overwhelmed the small lounge, resulting in no seats, or no food and beverage, at peak times.

(I realise that both may be out of ACs control, or may not be something that the AC representative posters here may be aware of)
Old May 31, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
If I search the AP website for a J redemption, YVR-YYZ, many of the results will show (for example) YVR-YEG-YYZ, with the 1h20 YVR-YEG leg in J, and the 3h40 YEG-YYZ leg in Y.

...for this, the full cost of a J redemption is charged. My question is, are you kidding with this?
Old May 31, 2014, 7:20 pm

It is intersting to note that none of the Ben's have posted in this thread. I do have aquestion for them and qould appreciate a s traight answer:I have posted another thread on the Lifetime SE and the question relates to that.Is there any possibility that the Lifetime SE and MM program will be improvedin the not too distant future?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Planned 787 equipment utilisation

Good evening Ben Lipsey,

It really would be helpful if those of us attempting to plan well ahead could have some idea of AC's 788 future route plans.

While the new YVR-PVG 788 service is very obviously replacing YYZ-HND (downgraded to 77L) after October 25th what other 788 plans may we look forward to?

Are there any plans to restore 788 HND operations next year while the YVR-PVG 788 flights are still in operation?

And what of YYZ-YVR-PVG PE service?

The 77HD is shown as connecting to/from the 788 at YVR but no through PE service is offered? This makes no senses! What of the 77HD PE cabin??? In fact it could potentially offer AC passengers the first chance to experience both PE cabins one after another.

Asking passengers to travel in the 77HD Y cabin before or after the 788 PE cabin is really not a great idea.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:31 am
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Thank you very much to both Ben's for recently engaging AC's FF'ers on this board. I've really enjoyed reading their comments.

I have a few questions about Altitude benefits for those people who qualify by segments. All Altitude levels allow qualification via AQM and AQS, where 1 AQS is viewed as being equivalent to 1000 AQM. Once a certain status level is achieved, it seems to me that almost all of the Altitude benefits are provided only on the basis of AQM; Altitude members who qualify via AQS are somewhat disadvantaged. For example:
  • Threshold eUpgrades are awarded for every 20k AQM, but not every 20 AQS. I, know several people who qualify primarily via segments that are <500 miles. An SE who re-qualifies via segments would earn approximately 50k miles and earn 50% of the eUpgrade credits of an SE who qualifies on miles. I'm not advocating for a revenue based system, but many short flights are much more expensive on a CPM basis than longer flights. Is is possible to award eUpgrades for every 20 AQS OR 20k AQM? I'd think that this should be relatively easy to set-up as the criteria for each threshold would function the same as how minimum AC-metal AQM or AQS is determined.
  • Threshold gifts - similar to point above.
  • Altitude Qualifying Miles for eligible Flight Pass activities - AQM are awarded for this select benefit, and can be quite useful for those looking to qualify for Altitude status on AQM, but doesn't provide much value for those who qualify on AQS. I'd like to see AQS awarded in addition to AQM for this select benefit.

Also, the MM program is based on AC metal miles. Is there any chance that AC will allow qualification for AC segments (i.e. 1000, 2000 and 3000 AC metal segments)?
All very good points manyof which are currently being analysed internally as we look to modernize our program to better fit the needs of both our top customers and AC. Nothing decided yet.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 3:42 am
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Here are a few more miscellaneous questions/comments...

eUpgrade validity - Currently, if someone earns eUpgrade credits for crossing a threshold, the credits expire at the end of the current status year. For example, if someone crosses a 20k threshold in October, they'll be awarded eUpgrades that expire approximately 4 months later on February 28 or 29. I suggest that eUpgrades be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of award (i.e. 12 months from date of issue, or the end of the current status year, whichever is later).

Stand-by of Tango/Flex fares (not same day confirmed changes) - AC currently allows for Same-day Airport Standby on Rapidair routes only. I'd like to see this expanded for all domestic/transborder/sun Flex fares (and maybe introduce a $75 charge on Tango fares that gets charged only if the standby clears). I've often had to connect in places such as YYC when heading home to YEG and had a 85 minute connection booked due to MCT. When travelling without checked luggage I've often been able to get to the gate before an earlier flight would even start boarding and asked if I could get the earlier flight. The odd time, the GA's let me take the earlier flight for free. I would decline if I was asked to pay, and would instead go to the lounge and enjoy the food/beverages in the MLL at AC's expense.

Same-day airport change fee - I haven't used this in quite some time, but have paid the SDC fee quite a few times. IMHO it's often worth it to be able to pay the fee at OLCI and know I'll be on the flight before I even head to the airport. In my experience, at OLCI I am only ever offered SDC for the next 1-2 flights over the next few hours. It would be very useful if at OLCI all of the day's options were presented for SDC (even those that take place after the original flight's departure time). When I wasn't an SE (and couldn't simply call concierge), if I had to take a later flight for some reason, I'd have to go to the airport, pay the SDC fee, and then return to the office, and then go back to the airport for the later flight.

Tango/Flex differential - this was discussed and answered extensively in the previous thread, so I won't repeat that conversation. My concern is related to AC's "seat sales." When there are domestic seat sales, it is typically only the Tango fares that are discounted. I'd be more inclined to purchase an additional trip if Flex and Latitude fares were also discounted.

Promotion codes - AC.com only allows for 1 promotion code to be used at a time. I've had several discount codes to use in the past, however I couldn't use these in conjunction with the Altitude "aircanada.com travel option" benefit. I had to choose the discount or the Altitude benefits as the "travel options" state "This privilege cannot be used in conjunction with Flight Pass reservations or Aeroplan Flight Rewards, be applied retroactively to a previously completed reservation, or be used together with another promotion code." It would be great if these codes could be used on "manage my bookings" for any AC travel, regardless of booking channel (AC.com, TA, Aeroplan), or if another discount code was previously used.
Again all very good points and ones that we are actively looking at. What I can share with you is perhaps an insight into the challenge we face in trying to find a sustainable way to offer some of the items you list. As the number one carrier in Canada we offer a very robust network with high frequencies and plenty of choices in the areas of routings/prices/products/restrictions. We serve almost double the number of domestic points and 4x the number of frequencies vs our next biggest competitor. We also offer an extensive suite of business products J/MLL/Altitude/priority ground services/Star membership which are unmatched by any other domestic carrier. All this adds cost and complexity. Our main challenge is to find the right balance in average unit revenue vs average unit cost and for us the bottom line needs to move up. We understand the need to offer a competitive product and price but at the same time we can't undersell what clearly costs more to produce. Insight into what customers value and our willing to pay for is key and is big reason why I find this site valuable.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
YYZ Baggage handling

Ben,

A few of us have posted on the other thread about the horrible waits for luggage at YYZ T1. I find the typical wait is ~45 minutes. You had mentioned something about very long belts there. A few questions:
  1. Is this a KPI that the GTAA tracks and if so, how do they perform relative to their goals?
  2. To what extent do you believe this is an issue that AC can resolve with internal improvements vs. one that rests with the GTAA
  3. Is it even feasible to get wait times down to a reasonable level as experienced at other large "world class" airports (~20 minutes with a reasonably accurate countdown clock)
  4. What can we do as customers to help you bring pressure on the GTAA to address this issue?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:57 am
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Ben Smith, will AC be differentiating the various levels of the MM club for in flight service and boarding/EUP grades,etc. To be precise will 2MM/3MM etc. show up on BP's and manifests?
At this point in time no. We want to get better consistency in delivery on our existing differentiation before introducing any further complexity.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:01 am
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by imverge
Ben, thanks for taking the time to post on FT

My question is: Other than HND, when can we expect an announcement on new AC routes using B787? And, can you tell us what is on your "wish" list?
The 787s will enable us to execute numerous strategies that will enhance customer choice as well as improve our bottom line. The airplane will replace 767s, right-size some 777/330 routes, increase frequencies on certain routes and of course introduce brand new services. We have publically stated many of the routes we are studying but we will not be pre-announcing anything on this site.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:03 am
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by exbayern
1) Does AC have any plans to work with CDG to improve the ground and especially the gate situation? Now that CDG is served by the 777HD, moving back to the old gates on a permanent basis would be a better option, considering the increase in passengers.

2) Are there any plans to rework the lounge at CDG, now that AA has vacated their lounge? Like the gate area, the increase of passengers has overwhelmed the small lounge, resulting in no seats, or no food and beverage, at peak times.

(I realise that both may be out of ACs control, or may not be something that the AC representative posters here may be aware of)
For 870/871 we try to get a double bridged gate which are not available on the satellite (only fit for 744 acft).
We're currently studying various lounge options for our long-term plans at CDG however the FYI the number of eligible customers in our CDG MLL has remained constant for some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.