Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by skipness1E
All the in-service B737s have now have the wifi bubble antenna added to the fuselage roof, are we saying it only actually works on a subset of the fleet? They all seem to have the hardware installed, as they're delivered without it and all have been photographed since with it added.
Most of them have had antennas (or at least the domes that house them - you don't actually know what's inside) for years; that wasn't the issue. The problem was the antennas AC bought from Thales didn't work.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I’m on 7M8 Fin 509 coming up for a TATL (yuck). On the app it says no wifi but this wiki says yes wifi. Anyone been on this Fin recently and can confirm?

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
I’m on 7M8 Fin 509 coming up for a TATL (yuck). On the app it says no wifi but this wiki says yes wifi. Anyone been on this Fin recently and can confirm?
The 7M8s were all deleted from the with WiFi list a while back. If something has been added back, it's because an FTer has added it, presumably after flying it and using the WiFi.

Also, for those unfamiliar with FT's wiki function, if you go to edit the wiki, then View History, you can see when any particular change was made. In this case, @GoDucks added 509 to the list of aircraft with WiFi on July 10, 2022.
TheViperOne likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Does anyone know if there is a way to check the expiry of your Aeroplan Elite Wifi status benefit? If you didn't write it down by chance do you just wait until it stops working one day?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What in the world is the issue with getting wifi on these 737s?? It's been how long already?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yowcat
Does anyone know if there is a way to check the expiry of your Aeroplan Elite Wifi status benefit? If you didn't write it down by chance do you just wait until it stops working one day?
Yeah I'm starting to wonder about this too. I know I picked it late last year, but I don't know if "late" is September or December. I guess I can try to chat them and ask next time I'm in-flight.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What in the world is the issue with getting wifi on these 737s?? It's been how long already?
If you're truly interested in the answer to that question, I would suggest reading through this thread, which has extensive details on the sordid history of AC's 7M8 WifFi.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah I'm starting to wonder about this too. I know I picked it late last year, but I don't know if "late" is September or December. I guess I can try to chat them and ask next time I'm in-flight.
I'm not hopeful that Gogo knows much. As I am sure others have found logging into the wifi portal on AirCanada.com to authenticate yourself against your Aeroplan ID is hit and miss and whenever I've dug into it with gogo they seem to suggest they have no visibility into it. I suspect they just get a TRUE or FALSE back from aircanada.com on whether your have the benefit. I should probably trace the network calls next time for fun =)
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
AC WiFi pass benefit login issues

Have an ac WiFi annual pass selected as part of my choice benefits. Never had an issue using it but this morning I login like usual and it says, “we’ve sent you an email please enter your authorization code”.

How am I supposed to get my authorization code when I don’t have internet until I get signed in?

Anyone else with this issue? Work around?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aker
Have an ac WiFi annual pass selected as part of my choice benefits. Never had an issue using it but this morning I login like usual and it says, “we’ve sent you an email please enter your authorization code”.

How am I supposed to get my authorization code when I don’t have internet until I get signed in?

Contact the support on gogo and ask them a free code if they cant help
PaulYK likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Joroy70
Contact the support on gogo and ask them a free code if they cant help
they gave me one but they also likely didn’t understand as it’s an AC code not a gogo code although they are the provider.

frustrating
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Wifi has been reliable on all my flights and the social media / messaging option(cheapest) is fast enough to stream music to listen to the Dreamliner has especially worked well for me.

I’m a big fan of the new seats in the 737m but read here people prefer the old airbus due to wifi and I’m starting to feel them a bit more now as my flights recently have only been on no wifi 737m.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM

Had this on both my flights last week -- YYZ-SFO and vv, both on 333s.

On YYZ-SFO, I chatted with Gogo and they got me a code.

On SFO-YYZ, I noticed as I was starting the chat that WiFi was free for anyone with an email address on that flight, so I just did that.

Gogo agent on my YYZ-SFO seemed as if they were familiar with this happening. No questions, no delays, just gave me instructions on how to log in, and a code to log in with.

Still kinda shaking my head at in-flight WiFi asking for an email confirmation to authenticate. I don't think they thought their clever plan all the way through.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ

On SFO-YYZ, I noticed as I was starting the chat that WiFi was free for anyone with an email address on that flight, so I just did that.

Gogo agent on my YYZ-SFO seemed as if they were familiar with this happening. No questions, no delays, just gave me instructions on how to log in, and a code to log in with.

Still kinda shaking my head at in-flight WiFi asking for an email confirmation to authenticate. I don't think they thought their clever plan all the way through.
lol I know right… glad to hear I’m not alone and hope they fix this soon. It’s a pain to have to login to chat every time.

when I am at my home computer every time I login to my air Canada account it asks me to enter the emailed code. It’s like I’m logging into the CRA.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ

Do you have 2FA turned on in your Aeroplan account settings? I think it's something they introduced within the last year and automatically opted everyone in to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.