Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old May 4, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan Super Elite
Has anyone heard anything about WiFi on the 737 MAX?

I fly YOW<->YVR a lot, which is usually on the 737 MAX. They still don't have WiFi on this aircraft (which seems insane given that it's a brand new aircraft and AC signed the deal with Thales years ago to provide the equipment), but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about a timeline for when it will debut?

The reason I ask is because I pretty much need wifi (the difference between 5 useless hours and 5 billable hours, which covers several times the cost of the flight itself),so if not then I'll need to rebook all of my direct flights to connections through YYZ or YUL, which sucks with the several extra hours on the trip but is an evil necessity (at least it would allow eUps to signature class, as the YYZ<->YVR route is usually a 787).

Also, I was thinking of selecting the annual WiFi pass as one of my 75K ER perks since I already have more eUps than I can possibly use this year (even accounting for the 50 I can roll over with the black credit card) and the status passes have been pretty much useless with all the restrictions they come with. 35K for a friend + WiFi looks appealing.
Old May 4, 2022, 9:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by JordanK
I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about a timeline for when it will debut?
WiFi on the 7M8s has been discussed extensively in this thread, which is why I have moved your post here.
Old May 6, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
YVR-ICN flight had a good connection. was able to stream the leafs game plus do other regular browsing. $30 or so for the whole flight or 3100 AP.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:26 pm

Just flew YEG-YVR on 7M8 fin 508.

Flight had functioning wifi. It was gogo, however there was no way to login using Aeroplan credentials to make use of my year of free wifi. ☹️
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Bindy Johal
Ill post a DP for my LHR to YYC flight on May 18 here! From my experience in the past it works!
I tried this on SFO-YUL-FRA this weekend. Worked fron SFO-YUL (no shock), YUL-FRA though logged in and gogo told me pay pass was not valiuf for this flight.
FWIW, the on board wifi price was $19.50, but I don't know if it would have covered connections.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:20 pm

Does anyone know if the A319s on the Rouge brand are equipped with the faster satellite-based wifi? From what I hear the older ATG stuff is nearly unusable.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by starlink
Does anyone know if the A319s on the Rouge brand are equipped with the faster satellite-based wifi? From what I hear the older ATG stuff is nearly unusable.
I can't answer your question, but the ATG is fine for anything that doesn't need high bandwidth or low latency. I hate it, but it's quite usable.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:00 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by starlink
With this being your first post, welcome to FT.

The answer to your question is yes. As detailed in this post, which came up quickly when searching this thread for "rouge satellite".
Old May 20, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
With this being your first post, welcome to FT.

The answer to your question is yes. As detailed in this post, which came up quickly when searching this thread for "rouge satellite".
Thank you for the welcome, and the info!
I see my mistake was trying to use my browser's find feature to look for "a319", incorrectly assuming all the posts in the thread have been loaded.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by john2003
I also got a code for free wifi Yvr to LHR. Seems a TD benefit not shared by CIBC. Gather it is a one off so we can get hooked and future revenues will rise!
I was getting these on every booking last summer, then nothing for about a year, now they seem to be coming back.

Takes some of the sting out of having to pass up the free wifi perk!
Old May 23, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I was getting these on every booking last summer, then nothing for about a year, now they seem to be coming back.

Takes some of the sting out of having to pass up the free wifi perk!
I also got a code for free wifi for my entire flight YUL to LHR in Aug via my TD aeroplan visa card.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by talkeryxu

Havenít had this before. Is this a new promo or an ongoing surprise and delight thing?
I got a code as well via TD aeroplan card as a gift.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
I have now collected three of those, good until next year sometime.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:11 pm

Fin 509 has WiFi

I am posting this onboard AC 599 SNA-YVR. WiFi is active!
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by GoDucks
I am posting this onboard AC 599 SNA-YVR. WiFi is active!
I was on FIN 509 last night. Wifi was active but havenít used since they wonít let you login with free wifi via Select Benefit. Wifi says itís by gogo so I donít understand why they canít/wonít do this.

Iíve been on a bunch of different 7M8 fins lately with active wifi (but no Aeroplan login).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.