Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm really annoyed with the CR9 situation.

I'm flying to YVR on Friday (first trip "to" Canada in 2021!), and I've picked the last (1650) departure, because I can't risk not having wifi on either of the earlier options (this one is late enough that I don't need to be connected).

But I'd really like to have dinner in YVR, so the 1230 option is my preference... if it has wifi.

I might just change my flight to the 1230, work from SFO all day, and get the GA to check with the crew if they have wifi. If not, switch back to the 1650. Or I guess once the inbound is airborne, I can just check against the wiki.

But that's such a hassle for something that really shouldn't be an issue, especially given AC's site claims all the CR9s have wifi.
They've been lying about that for years. I once managed to get a message through to whoever is (or was, at the time) head of WiFi and IFE or something like that (via an intermediary) and they updated it to show that only 16/21 had WiFi (this was back before the ex-OO and Atmosphere new builds joined the fleet) had it.

For what it's worth, I was on 727 yesterday and it had no WiFi, which the app properly reflected before the flight.

I'm really annoyed with WiFi on AC in general. It's pretty disgraceful that a bunch of CR9s still don't have it, plus the whole 7M8 debacle.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
They've been lying about that for years. I once managed to get a message through to whoever is (or was, at the time) head of WiFi and IFE or something like that (via an intermediary) and they updated it to show that only 16/21 had WiFi (this was back before the ex-OO and Atmosphere new builds joined the fleet) had it.

For what it's worth, I was on 727 yesterday and it had no WiFi, which the app properly reflected before the flight.

I'm really annoyed with WiFi on AC in general. It's pretty disgraceful that a bunch of CR9s still don't have it, plus the whole 7M8 debacle.
The app says mine won't have wifi either, but they haven't even assigned a FIN yet.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:35 am

Grumble grumble the two flight options are 727 and 718.

Edit: App says 718 has wifi, so maybe they've installed/activated it?

Last edited by canadiancow; Jul 22, 2021 at 10:57 am
Old Jul 22, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
App says 718 has wifi, so maybe they've installed/activated it?
The wiki says 721 has it, and 718 is from the same batch, so if they've overcome whatever macro issue kept them from having WiFi on that batch for 4+ years, it's not inconceivable that 717-720 would also have it operational.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 7:00 pm

718 has it, but oh my god it took 30 minutes on a chat with them before I could log in and redeem a pass.

Either the login screen 404'd, or it said I had 0 available passes (I actually had 17).

Oh well, 1 hour left, so I used a 1 hour pass...
Old Jul 24, 2021, 8:37 pm

seems like every time i book a flight with aeroplan points (fully refundable until 2h before flight, refunds credited immediately after canceling) using my td aeroplan visa infinite i get an email a day or two later with a free wifi passcode valid until dec31
just sayin....
Old Jul 25, 2021, 7:12 pm

Ugh I'm on 727 today.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
I usually take the 7ams out of YYZ anytime but I am taking the 9 to YVR tomorrow simply to have WiFi on a 5 hour flight (7am is a 737)

Very annoying that this is even a discussion point
Old Jul 25, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC SE
Iím often on Jazz to YQR, hit and miss. Apparently 6 of the CRJs are not even equipped with WiFi.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
WiFi on flights

Is there any Wi-Fi for domestic flights and flights between Canada and Europe? My wife is claustrophobic (somehow developed it in recent years in plane) and having that connection really help her. Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by kennychu11
Is there any Wi-Fi for domestic flights and flights between Canada and Europe? My wife is claustrophobic (somehow developed it in recent years in plane) and having that connection really help her. Thanks!
Yes, but there's no guarantee a specific aircraft is equipped until you're on board, or that it's functional until you're in the air.

7M8 does not have it. A bunch of CR9s don't.

Most (all?) wide-bodies do.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by kennychu11
Every AC flight Iíve been on recently has had it. Youíll find that speeds are really good, much better than on the likes of LH or (as I hear) US carriers.

Yes, but there's no guarantee a specific aircraft is equipped until you're on board, or that it's functional until you're in the air.

7M8 does not have it. A bunch of CR9s don't.

Most (all?) wide-bodies do.
Yes, Iíd avoid 7M8s altogether (lack of wifi, narrow seats, tight pitch andÖ the rest) and CRJs if WiFi is really important to you.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Looks like Wiki needs an update.

Currently on FIN937, and I'm able to post in the air.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by YYCNoob
Looks like Wiki needs an update.

Currently on FIN937, and I'm able to post in the air.
Wikis can be edited by anyone with ≥90 posts (and ≥90 days on FT), so have at 'er, Mr(s). 91 Posts
canadiancow and YYCNoob like this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:35 am

Flying YYC-YYZ-YYC today to drop my kids at the grandparents and was pleasantly surprised to have internet on 7M8 #524.
Adam Smith likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.