Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a 1-way / day wifi pass for TATL flights before getting onboard?

Based on Air Canada's wifi page, the answer seems to be "no", but I wanted to double check.
Also, in case anyone else has been tempted by ACís claim that itís cheaper to buy wifi before a flight, thatís wrong. Itís actually cheaper to buy onboard.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Also, in case anyone else has been tempted by ACís claim that itís cheaper to buy wifi before a flight, thatís wrong. Itís actually cheaper to buy onboard.
Is this true for every plan? I wanted to buy the Air Canada Plan for 65.95/1 month for our Spring Break trip...although reading the wiki I just realized it's 1 device at a time which holds back the value for me (family of four)
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by theranj
Is this true for every plan? I wanted to buy the Air Canada Plan for 65.95/1 month for our Spring Break trip...although reading the wiki I just realized it's 1 device at a time which holds back the value for me (family of four)
Oh not sure if something like that is even available onboard. I was referring to the 1-day / flight plans.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Hello, I'm new to flying Air Canada and will be flying East coast US (BOS) to Canada (YUL/YYZ) to another Canadian city (YVR) to a TPAC flight.

I noticed that the Air Canada Gogo page (ahead of time, not on board) offers a 1 hour or one way (the Terms make it seem like it's one flight only) pass. The US Gogo site also sells "Domestic" day passes that work on Air Canada, but it doesn't define what Domestic means (within the US only? US and Canada?).

I've read the last 12 pages of this thread, and didn't find what I was looking for, so here are my questions:
1. Do they sell an international day pass?
2. If not, how expensive will the full flight passes be? (I'm flying BOS-YUL-YVR-SYD and then SYD-YVR-YYZ-BOS a month later). Am I correct in assuming that I'd have to pay per flight? (I did see the post saying that it will cost less onboard)
3. Since I'll have three legs in each direction, would I be better off buying some sort of plan?
4. Is the overwater TPAC service Gogo satellite?

Aircraft will be A223, 77W, 77L (x3), and CR9 (I know that CR9 will be hit or miss)
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite

Havenít had this before. Is this a new promo or an ongoing surprise and delight thing?
Bindy Johal likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: AC 75K
Also, in case anyone else has been tempted by AC’s claim that it’s cheaper to buy wifi before a flight, that’s wrong. It’s actually cheaper to buy onboard.
So on-flight from LHR to YYZ I paid $35 for a day pass =/

The same flight is $22 from Gogo if you buy it before hand same day.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bindy Johal

I generally try to keep one "flight pass" in my Gogo account at all times. I have free wifi on AC, but I always do the math when I'm on another airline. Sometimes it's cheaper to redeem the pass, sometimes it's cheaper to buy on board.

Also, a "day pass" covers connecting flights. The pass Gogo sells does not.

Edit: I may have this backwards. Or just entirely wrong.

Last edited by canadiancow; Apr 27, 2022 at 11:52 am
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I generally try to keep one "flight pass" in my Gogo account at all times. I have free wifi on AC, but I always do the math when I'm on another airline. Sometimes it's cheaper to redeem the pass, sometimes it's cheaper to buy on board.

Also, a "day pass" covers connecting flights. The pass Gogo sells does not.
The Gogo one day pass has always worked for me for all Air Canada flights for the day! For example LHR-YYZ-YYC the one way pass from Gogo worked on both.

Unless they changed it since march?

"Internet access for the duration of this Air Canada flight and any Gogo-equipped connecting Air Canada flights."

https://www.gogoair.com/ac-bbyf/one-way-pass/detail/
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The Gogo one day pass has always worked for me for all Air Canada flights for the day! For example LHR-YYZ-YYC the one way pass from Gogo worked on both.

Unless they changed it since march?

"Internet access for the duration of this Air Canada flight and any Gogo-equipped connecting Air Canada flights."

https://www.gogoair.com/ac-bbyf/one-way-pass/detail/
Oh, my bad. Maybe it's the in-flight one that doesn't cover connections?

I haven't bought a normal pass for AC in quite a while.
Bindy Johal likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:02 pm

Are you referring to the $21 1-Way Pass on this page? If so, the coverage map led me to think this pass was only good for North America, for which Air Canada's on-board wifi purchase price is $19.50 IIRC.

But if that pass is indeed valid globally, then yes, it's a good deal to buy ahead of time.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:24 pm

Are you referring to the $21 1-Way Pass on this page? If so, the coverage map led me to think this pass was only good for North America, for which Air Canada's on-board wifi purchase price is $19.50 IIRC.

But if that pass is indeed valid globally, then yes, it's a good deal to buy ahead of time.
Ill post a DP for my LHR to YYC flight on May 18 here! From my experience in the past it works!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Next month I have an award flight YOW-YYZ-LIS and my TD Bank Aeroplan VISA just sent me a code for free wi-fi for the entire flight as a thank you!

very cool, thank you TD
jmt18325 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Next month I have an award flight YOW-YYZ-LIS and my TD Bank Aeroplan VISA just sent me a code for free wi-fi for the entire flight as a thank you!

very cool, thank you TD
Which card do you have?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K
I'm not sure. I've had it twice now--once last September between YWG and YUL, and now for my upcoming flight from YYZ to CPH.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:17 pm

TD Free wifi offer one time.

I also got a code for free wifi Yvr to LHR. Seems a TD benefit not shared by CIBC. Gather it is a one off so we can get hooked and future revenues will rise!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.