Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Now currently on AC121 just over Lake Huron... Not bad quality connection. Price may be steep for some but worthwhile whose billable rate is high. ^
About to board 223 which is the same FIN!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Any thoughts on what my chances are for wifi on EWR-YVR? It is *extremely* hard to find information about AC's wifi, except that they're installing it on A319s...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Any thoughts on what my chances are for wifi on EWR-YVR? It is *extremely* hard to find information about AC's wifi, except that they're installing it on A319s...
I've seen them on 319/320 and surprisingly a recent 321. Luck of the draw..
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I've seen them on 319/320 and surprisingly a recent 321. Luck of the draw..
...and yesterday, on an E90 for me
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
...and yesterday, on an E90 for me
A lot of E90's have them now. However, most of the E90s in the Rapidair triangle on a 1 hour flight have them, but the longer routes like YQR and back, no wifi. Like...what???

Credit due where credit is due. YYZ SEA has them now too So worth it. It's a valid justifiable business expense right? FlyerTalk?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
It's a valid justifiable business expense right? FlyerTalk?
It is where I work.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by D582
It is where I work.
Surely you have to slide it under a "I was working" not FlyerTalking right?
Old May 1, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of E90's have them now. However, most of the E90s in the Rapidair triangle on a 1 hour flight have them, but the longer routes like YQR and back, no wifi. Like...what???

Credit due where credit is due. YYZ SEA has them now too So worth it. It's a valid justifiable business expense right? FlyerTalk?
Yeah mine was YEG YOW so 3.5 hours of wifi was great for me.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
An A321 had it last weekend YYC-YYZ. Didn't catch the fin though. $5.50 for 1 hour, $11 for 3 hours, or $12.95 for the entire flight.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guessaaa
An A321 had it last weekend YYC-YYZ. Didn't catch the fin though. $5.50 for 1 hour, $11 for 3 hours, or $12.95 for the entire flight.
WOW - that's much lower than what I got for any length of flights I had with wifi... both short and long hauls.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended

WOW - that's much lower than what I got for any length of flights I had with wifi... both short and long hauls.
Yeah...me too. I paid $25 or $29 from SEA YYZ for a 5 hour flight...now there's pricing inconsistencies?? I guess living up to the AC brand
Old May 1, 2015, 6:24 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
On a 321 right now YYC-YYZ. that price is for smartphones, laptops are $18+tax for 3 hrs
Old May 1, 2015, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CT1
On a 321 right now YYC-YYZ. that price is for smartphones, laptops are $18+tax for 3 hrs
I could have sworn smartphones were like $10 or so for the entire flight. I'm 99% sure. (in my case as I was on my phone)
Old May 1, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
On AC1042 DEN-YYZ presently. $10 for the full flight.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by epiphani
On AC1042 DEN-YYZ presently. $10 for the full flight.
On a mobile device or a laptop? I think it'd be useful for all that post on here to specify what device the pricing is for

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.