Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
New for me too - thanks for posting it.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC Plebeian Super Elite
This was not the case on my recent domestic J flight.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I had fin 852 (787-9) across the pacific last month. Prepurchased wifi passes were not allowed. I paid $40CAD for the fastest option, but then I slept through the entire flight and didn't really use it. Oops!
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by JordanK
For GoGo wifi, when paying, there are three options with progressively faster internet: Browse, Stream, and Ultimate.

Does anyone know which of these the Aeroplan GoGo wifi pass (select benefit) is equivalent to?

I'm using it on my current flight on a 777 and ho-lee is it slow. A ping of 1500ms. Absolutely impossible to work.
I have wondered this ever since picking the benefits. Maybe I will experiment tomorrow with purchasing the fastest tier and see how it compares to the benefit pass.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K
July 7 LAX to YYC A220. No free wifi.

$7/700 AP 1 hour OR $10/1000 AP full flight

for basic wifi
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive Elite
Any update on when more of the 737 MAX planes will have Wi-Fi? It’s pretty crazy to be on a 4 or 5+ hour flight with no option for Wi-Fi in 2022.
TheViperOne likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Do you know if the max will ever get wifi? thats the only thing that has really sucked flying them compared to the older Airbus even the RJs have it but not sure why the new fleet doesnt

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 18, 2022 at 11:42 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Do you know if the max will ever get wifi? thats the only thing that has really sucked flying them compared to the older Airbus even the RJs have it but not sure why the new fleet doesnt
Please consult the wiki and posts in this thread for extensive information on the history of WiFi on the 7M8.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Please consult the wiki and posts in this thread for extensive information on the history of WiFi on the 7M8.
I’m not sure I would consider an update a year ago (as of mid-2021) that 4 MAX aircraft have Wi-Fi, none of the others, and lots of posts complaining that there is not Wi-Fi or unanswered posts asking if there updates on status, “extensive information”
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jerosenberg
I’m not sure I would consider an update a year ago (as of mid-2021) that 4 MAX aircraft have Wi-Fi, none of the others, and lots of posts complaining that there is not Wi-Fi or unanswered posts asking if there updates on status, “extensive information”
Then clearly you haven't read the material, because the "as of mid-2021" in the wiki is when they started rolling out the new system, not the last time anyone provided any updated information. There are numerous posts since then about the roll-out and which aircraft have it, and which don't, and the wiki has been updated whenever someone has information that impacts it.

AC doesn't publish any of this stuff anywhere, and front-line staff usually know little to nothing about this. Some of us occasionally get access to snippets of information from various sources and will share it here, but unless you know someone in the AC team that handles IFE and WiFi (or the suppliers doing the work) who can give us a detailed timetable on the roll-out, what's in this thread is the most extensive information in the world on AC's 7M8 WiFi, ridiculous as that may sound.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Then clearly you haven't read the material, because the "as of mid-2021" in the wiki is when they started rolling out the new system, not the last time anyone provided any updated information. There are numerous posts since then about the roll-out and which aircraft have it, and which don't, and the wiki has been updated whenever someone has information that impacts it.

AC doesn't publish any of this stuff anywhere, and front-line staff usually know little to nothing about this. Some of us occasionally get access to snippets of information from various sources and will share it here, but unless you know someone in the AC team that handles IFE and WiFi (or the suppliers doing the work) who can give us a detailed timetable on the roll-out, what's in this thread is the most extensive information in the world on AC's 7M8 WiFi, ridiculous as that may sound.
Apologies as my comment was more related to your same sentiments on AC’s lack of extensive information, and that while this is the “most extensive” information available, it’s not really much to go by and not unreasonable for others (including me) to be asking if anyone has heard any updates recently. My only point was that the last 50 pages or so of comments I’ve read through all say the same thing about the 4 aircraft that have it. AC really needs to get their act together, as they’re the only MAX operator I’ve encountered without working Wi-Fi on the majority of the MAX fleet.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jerosenberg
Apologies as my comment was more related to your same sentiments on AC’s lack of extensive information, and that while this is the “most extensive” information available, it’s not really much to go by and not unreasonable for others (including me) to be asking if anyone has heard any updates recently. My only point was that the last 50 pages or so of comments I’ve read through all say the same thing about the 4 aircraft that have it. AC really needs to get their act together, as they’re the only MAX operator I’ve encountered without working Wi-Fi on the majority of the MAX fleet.
Fully agree with you there. It's really not something AC has done a good job at any point though - either rolling out the WiFi or communicating about it. They were way behind the US3 in rolling it out in the first place, and not only do the 7M8s still not have WiFi, but a good chunk of the CR9 fleet.

And when they eventually rolled out a webpage with a progress tracker, the information on it was frequently wrong, and still is (e,g, 100% of the CR9s definitely don't have WiFi, because there are now 35 and not 26).

After nearly a decade of this, I don't hold out much hope for them improving on either front.
respectable_man likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:05 am

7M8 502 has wifi. But it uses a gogo login and I couldn't figure out how to access my year pass that works on other planes via an aeroplan login.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vancouver25k
7M8 502 has wifi. But it uses a gogo login and I couldn't figure out how to access my year pass that works on other planes via an aeroplan login.
currently not possible to use the AC wifi subscription on an AC Max or rouge

hopefully they add Aeroplan login screens to both soon
vancouver25k likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
All the in-service B737s have now have the wifi bubble antenna added to the fuselage roof, are we saying it only actually works on a subset of the fleet? They all seem to have the hardware installed, as they're delivered without it and all have been photographed since with it added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.