Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

I know that AC has or had WIFI from YYZ to LAX once you cross the US boarder. I also heard rumours that WIFI was supposed to be coming to canada but TSB and Nav Canada were not allowing WIFI in Canadian Airspace.

Any insights?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:45 pm

Never heard of that one. Wifi is available in Canadian airspace, but only within range of a US transmitting tower. The lack of wifi availability in Canada has more to do with the cost of setting up ground stations in such a vast country as opposed to regulatory requirements. The TSB has nothing to do with it, since their job is to investigate aircraft accidents.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by wirez666
Never heard of that one. Wifi is available in Canadian airspace, but only within range of a US transmitting tower. The lack of wifi availability in Canada has more to do with the cost of setting up ground stations in such a vast country as opposed to regulatory requirements. The TSB has nothing to do with it, since their job is to investigate aircraft accidents.
checkout this webpage
http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...ifi_sep09.html
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:18 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
A very quick Google search found this:

http://gogoair.mediaroom.com/2012-08...ty-over-Canada

End of the year.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
It's not route specific but fin specific - 280 & 282. On transborder flights or where WiFi connectivity is available.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by briantoronto
A very quick Google search found this:

http://gogoair.mediaroom.com/2012-08...ty-over-Canada

End of the year.
Cool

Or maybe not. Without wifi, I watch movies on my tablet. With wifi, I might be inclined to work
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Cool

Or maybe not. Without wifi, I watch movies on my tablet. With wifi, I might be inclined to work
I would rather give up a few hours of quiet to landing after a 7am YYZ-YVR to 50 emails waiting
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:56 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The lack of wifi availability in Canada has more to do with the cost of setting up ground stations in such a vast country as opposed to regulatory requirements. The TSB has nothing to do with it, since their job is to investigate aircraft accidents.
And then you have Luftansa, that use satellites instead of ground stations - so that you can have internet over the Atlantic long-haul

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...en&cid=1000204
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Globe says Air Canada quietly introduces WiFi

Wednesday April 24 2013 - In the News

Also WestJet Airlines Ltd (C:WJA) In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Wednesday edition that many Canadian business travellers do not know that WiFi may be available on a limited basis. In a Globe special, David Israelson quotes Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick as saying: "We put WiFi on two aircraft as a test to measure customer reaction a few years ago and those two aircraft are the only ones we have that are WiFi-equipped. Neither WestJet nor Porter offer it as yet. Meanwhile, U.S. airlines are rolling out cross-country WiFi this year. They have been gradually expanding their services since American Airlines began offering it five years ago. In the United States, in-sky Internet seems to be catching on. With prices to go online in the air ranging from $12 (U.S.) to $20 (U.S.), it is still only being used by a minority of travellers. "What we're seeing is that usage rate is around 15 per cent," says Henry Harteveldt, a travel industry analyst with Hudson Crossing LLC in San Francisco. Some travellers say they're confused by the flight attendants' command to "turn off hand-held devices" at takeoff, only to hear that it's okay to turn them on again, for a fee. In-flight WiFi is available to passengers only above 10,000 feet.

© 2013 Canjex Publishing Ltd.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:34 am

The $12 - $20 figure seems a bit off, as I just paid $4.95 for Internet on US Airways between Toronto and Charlotte (2 hours) which I thought was reasonable.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mcarthurc
The $12 - $20 figure seems a bit off, as I just paid $4.95 for Internet on US Airways between Toronto and Charlotte (2 hours) which I thought was reasonable.
And if they said "$5 - $20", you'd have a ton of people complaining "it's $20 on my 12 hours of flights!"

They're much better off over-quoting the price, and leaving you pleasantly surprised.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Finally found this quote I read regarding NavCanada:
"Due to a set of rather archaic laws governing electronics emission from within planes, NavCan doesn’t currently allow for in flight WiFi on planes travelling within Canada. This naturally limits the market for a Canadian airline that wants to offer additional in flight services to their customers. Luckily, the folks south of the border are a bit more open about such things and Air Canada’s WiFi usually gets turned on the second the flight crosses the 49th parallel. "
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by danapop
Finally found this quote I read regarding NavCanada:
"Due to a set of rather archaic laws governing electronics emission from within planes, NavCan doesn’t currently allow for in flight WiFi on planes travelling within Canada. This naturally limits the market for a Canadian airline that wants to offer additional in flight services to their customers. Luckily, the folks south of the border are a bit more open about such things and Air Canada’s WiFi usually gets turned on the second the flight crosses the 49th parallel. "
how does this make any sense? Transport Canada is the only one that sets regulatory structure and direction in Canada. Everyone else (including airlines) complies with these in the execution of their business.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

No clue... I knew I read it someone. What NavCanada not have any control over ground to air wavelengths?? I am assuming the law has been updated to allow Gogo to come to Canada. But you know how it is with goverment agencies.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:11 pm

scotchmeup...

The comments that danapop quoted are not correct, as you suggest. Industry Canada is the regulatory authority with respect to frequency spectrum use in Canada and hasn't anything to do with NavCanada, the air traffic service provider. The air-ground frequency spectrum in Canada was subject to a public auction in 2009 and the successful company was SkySurf Canada.

SkySurf wins licence, wants inflight Internet to take off in Canadian skies - 15 June 2009

In 2010, they issued a press release indicating that they had partnered with Aircell to provide inflight WiFi in Canada by the end of 2011:

SKYSURF AND AIRCELL TO COLLABORATE IN LAUNCHING FIRST-EVER INFLIGHT INTERNET SERVICES IN CANADA - 4 November 2010

Obviously, this has yet to happen and then in August of 2012, there was another "new" announcement saying basically the same thing - that GoGo (formerly Aircell) had partnered with SkySurf and will begin offering inflight WiFi in Canada by the end of 2013:

Canada clears Wi-Fi in the skies with Gogo plan approval - 28 August 2012

Then, in March of this year, it was announced that GoGo Biz will be available to business aircraft over Canada in the first quarter of 2014:

Aircell Announces Expected Coverage Areas for Gogo Biz In-Flight Internet in Canada - 26 March 2013

All that to say that inflight WiFi is coming to Canada ... someday ... probably ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.