Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Really?
Did this itty-bitty-tiny data point of a 50% full cabin convince you Rouge is not successful?
Old May 1, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying
Well the trip got cancelled so not only did I escape flying Rouge, I escaped having to go to Orlando altogether. Made my day
That is a huge victory, I can tell you from recent experience. (Not the Rouge part, I will let others weigh in on that).
Avoiding Orlando/MCO is about as thrilling as getting a hole in 1 .......... On a 420-yard Par4
Old May 1, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I agree with you, but I think Rouge business case is working.
Seems to me that the business case would work better (and the model would be more sustainable and infinitely more expandable) if the Rouge product had delivered all of those significant cost savings . . . but without inflicting physical pain on many of their passengers, and without creating anger among many customers and driving many to competitors?

I find it hard to believe that the only possible way AC could make Rouge deliver sufficient cost savings was to select those awful seats they chose for the 319s and install them at a pitch where many customers can't fit.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I agree with you, but I think Rouge business case is working.
Rouge has not been on many of its main routes for more than a year has it? We'll know once the target demographic cycles through to its next purchase. I read the customer feedback forums (e.g. skytrax) and airline articles in various magazines and journals. The comments are quite negative. People complain about airlines. However, the "press" for Rouge borders on hate. Few airlines attract the intensity of negative sentiments or elicit comments like this:
- All the reasons that we used to like Air Canada are gone. We will not be flying Rouge again
- This Low Cost Experiment by AC is a failure.
- I've flown Rouge once and I'll never do it again
- A Review of Air Canada Rouge – Just Say No for Business and Personal Travel (Jason Busch, Spend Matters)

We'll know the future of Rouge if the people who say they won't fly Rouge again really don't make another purchase. For those cities who have alternatives, if traffic increases for the alternative carriers, it will be a good indicator. Some routes may not have better alternatives.

Canada's airlines keep their route load factors to themselves, except when they are performing well. If West Jet starts crowing about its sun destination routes' results, we'll have a good indication of what's happening.

I don't doubt for a minute that Rouge is here for at least a few more years. However, the pressure is on the operating unit to improve the cabin comfort. If AC tweaks the pitch and/or expands the cabin section with more leg room, then it will tell me that Rouge will remain. If nothing is done as the negativity grows, I expect that consumers will select more on cost than the assumptions associated with AC. Consumers will move to anything but Rouge as there will be no difference between it and SunWing, Can Jet and some of the crappier US airlines.

Note: I have never flown Rouge and will avoid if possible. I am not Rouge's target customer.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Rouge has not been on many of its main routes for more than a year has it? We'll know once the target demographic cycles through to its next purchase.
Main routes such as? Some of it's TATL routes have been running for almost 2 years including ATH, EDI & VCE.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
*this information has been deemed by an AC employee as non confidential and I have been permitted to release this info.

New info on the new redesigned aircraft with the new PR seating:

Rouge Plus on the A319 is still there;
- rouge Plus row now numbered row 12
- Emergency row 18 & 19
- rouge Plus Row 19 seat A & F

Photo of the new seating:

I really like the new seats. On some routes, not all, PR pricing isn't really that bad. If i'm getting a great soft product (there's a joke in there somewhere) and what appears to be a good hard product, i'm willing to pay more to sit there. I'm not willing to pay $5k to go from YYZ to YVR, but if it's a 5 hour flight to a destination that is being served by PR, and say it's $2K for 5 hours...i'm down. I don't see that as a waste of money. I'm up for trying PR again! If only for the nice onboard hugs

For the first little bit, I surmise it'll definitely be better than domestic J. If you have a bad back like me, the new interiors of Rouge = non collapsed foam. I appreciated that about what used to be row 4 in Rouge Plus. Same width as ML, but more comfortable seats (foam wise at least).

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 1, 2015 at 9:50 pm
Old May 1, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
*this information has been deemed by an AC employee as non confidential and I have been permitted to release this info.

New info on the new redesigned aircraft with the new PR seating:
This is cautiously optimistic news! ^

I'll wait to see what the first few trips reports have to say about the new cabin, but I may have to re-consider my personal boycott of flying on (sc)rouge.

Just as I was really starting to enjoy the perks of being AS Gold 75K, not sure if I'll be able to maintain that if I start flying (sc)rouge. Only time will tell I guess.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
We'll know the future of Rouge if the people who say they won't fly Rouge again really don't make another purchase.
It's tough - I despise Rouge based solely on seating, but if they fix that and consistently deliver YVR-LAX for well under the competition, I can't find non-emotional reasons to avoid them.

As it stands, even Tango plus Preferred seating often comes out less than AA, and at least it's AQS.

I don't know how much less they have to cost to convince me. Right now hatred and risk of 29" seat pitch is enough to keep me away.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yvrgary
I don't know how much less they have to cost to convince me. Right now hatred and risk of 29" seat pitch is enough to keep me away.
Forgive me for this, but why does it keep you away? You're an E50K, you can select Rouge Plus seats for free. Like i've said on here 4-5 times or something like that, Rouge Plus is perfectly fine. 35" pitch in Row 4 on a 319...yeah everyone behind me was suffering, but I was fine. No knees in the back either.

Maybe it's because I dreaded it for weeks but when I got onboard, I preferred it to ML. Service was more energetic, scenery was better, and the seat cushions weren't collapsed! I get it if you're someone who has to pay for preferred seating, but I personally would say that it's not as bad as you think

CAVEAT: If I had felt knees in my back, I am sure I would have hated it. But PR on the way back from TPA = loved it.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:12 pm

Forgive me for this, but why does it keep you away? You're an E50K, you can select Rouge Plus seats for free.
Only on Flex fare or higher. As in the other thread about this, I only buy up to flex if it's within shouting distance of the cost of Tango plus Preferred seats.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
Smile

Forgive me for this, but why does it keep you away? You're an E50K, you can select Rouge Plus seats for free. Like i've said on here 4-5 times or something like that, Rouge Plus is perfectly fine. 35" pitch in Row 4 on a 319...yeah everyone behind me was suffering, but I was fine. No knees in the back either.

Maybe it's because I dreaded it for weeks but when I got onboard, I preferred it to ML. Service was more energetic, scenery was better, and the seat cushions weren't collapsed! I get it if you're someone who has to pay for preferred seating, but I personally would say that it's not as bad as you think

CAVEAT: If I had felt knees in my back, I am sure I would have hated it. But PR on the way back from TPA = loved it.
Can't wait to hear the screaming when you don't get your comp upgrade and end up in a window seat in the back of the bus.

Last edited by SamCat; May 2, 2015 at 2:49 am
Old May 2, 2015, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamCat
Can't wait to hear the screaming when you don't get your comp upgrade and end up in a window seat in the back of the bus.
I don't get why people keep saying this. Rouge plus is not an upgrade. If I don't get a seat in plus for free due to status I won't fly it. Unlike some on here who insist on trying things out before making a judgement, common sense is enough for me....(not directed at you)
Old May 2, 2015, 10:15 am

I don't get why people keep saying this. Rouge plus is not an upgrade. If I don't get a seat in plus for free due to status I won't fly it.
...and Rouge Plus still doesn't make up for old, hammocked 767 seats.

Unlike some on here who insist on trying things out before making a judgement, common sense is enough for me....
Agreed. I haven't been to Tikrit, and I'm comfortable excluding it from my vacation plans without first-hand knowledge.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:19 am
Suspended

...and Rouge Plus still doesn't make up for old, hammocked 767 seats..
Ill take your word on it as I've never been on a 767 that flew under the Rouge banner
Old May 2, 2015, 10:22 am

...and Rouge Plus still doesn't make up for old, hammocked 767 seats.
Old? Just how old do you think they are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.