Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
6. I sincerely question the safety of Rouge. When a portion of your passengers can't even sit straight, when they are wedged into seats with impossibly small legroom, I truly question the ability to evacuate an aircraft quickly and effectively. Sure, Rouge's seating is entirely legal and meets required safety standards. But which A319 do you think is safer? One with 120 seats, where seats are configured such that passengers can get in and out of their rows with relative ease? Or one with an additional 22 people crammed on board (but has the same number of doors)? That concerns me.
An A319 would be safest if it were flying empty. Is that what should be done?

There are numerous carriers which put more than Rouge's 142 pax in. With most flights operating with PR at 136 seats and the reconfig taking them to a hard cap of 136, the following are some airlines which will need to evacuate out more people through the same number of A319 doors (not counting double-overwing exit models which seat 150 in the same floor space):

Aer Lingus (144)
Air France (142)
Alitalia (138)
Bangkok Airways (144)
Brussles Airlines (141)
Frontier (138)
Germanwings (138-144)
LAN (138-144)
Spirit (145)
TAM (144)
Tiger (144)
Volaris (144)
Vueling (144)

If you want to rally against unsafe evacuation designs, I suggest you start with the CRJ and CRA. I am very nervous seated near the back knowing there is only one direction I can escape from, and if there is a fire between me and all exits onboard (over wings/forward) I'm literally toast. I can't believe it was certified.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Thats a whole different thread on how one "achieves" SkyTrax star rating, and how it can be "influenced"
The reviews though, are (mostly) real world
Skytrax ratings and reviews of Rouge are as useful as AC’s press releases on the offering - Air Canada trumpeting the comforts of Rouge is as impactful as Deloris from Moose Jaw claiming Rouge is worse than death because the seat was tight and there was no free food on her big flight to Puerto Vallarta.

Rouge is enjoying a higher LF than mainline AC, higher than Westjet. Rouge is actively expanding their fleet. Rouge’s financial performance to date is ahead of all expectations. Rouge is re-opening previously cancelled Mainline routes. Rouge’s most direct competitor is losing market share, losing money, shrinking their fleet since Rouge was deployed. No airline competing with Rouge has increased pitch/comfort in Canadian markets to secure “Rouged” AC flyers.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Skytrax ratings and reviews of Rouge are as useful as AC’s press releases on the offering - Air Canada trumpeting the comforts of Rouge is as impactful as Deloris from Moose Jaw claiming Rouge is worse than death because the seat was tight and there was no free food on her big flight to Puerto Vallarta.

Rouge is enjoying a higher LF than mainline AC, higher than Westjet. Rouge is actively expanding their fleet. Rouge’s financial performance to date is ahead of all expectations. Rouge is re-opening previously cancelled Mainline routes. Rouge’s most direct competitor is losing market share, losing money, shrinking their fleet since Rouge was deployed. No airline competing with Rouge has increased pitch/comfort in Canadian markets to secure “Rouged” AC flyers.
Exactly. If you doubt the success of rouge why is transat trimming capacity to sun destinations and blaming rouge. AC is back to play and rouge is their play anywhere the mainline isn't competitive. They've also increased capacity over last year in most of the markets going into their second rouge year. They would have pulled it back already if the forward bookings couldn't support it.

AS whacked back its capacity on YVR->LAX - 737s no less. And before rouge they were probably the market leader in terms of seats on that rout. Now rouge is. So AC has gone from playing 3/4 in that market to first. YUL and YYZ to LAS were both boosted substantially over last year. As was CUN, and Orlando etc.

The only reason they didn't transfer 10 more 319s to rouge this fall is because they couldn't secure the replacement 320s and 321s in time. Its simple math folks - in the places it has been deployed it has managed to win back market share. Same with the HD. Using it and rouge to Nice AC substantially boosted France capacity against both AF and Transat and is doing so again. Same for Greece Italy Spain and the UK.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
Its simple math folks - in the places it has been deployed it has managed to win back market share. Same with the HD. Using it and rouge to Nice AC substantially boosted France capacity against both AF and Transat and is doing so again. Same for Greece Italy Spain and the UK.
I think everyone knows that Rouge is good for saving AC money and boosting its presence. A good business move for them, regardless of how pissed off a few consumers are. But that doesn't mean that those consumers shouldn't be pissed off and shouldn't choose to take their business elsewhere. No one at AC is going to know or care if I start flying with someone else and stop collecting Aeroplan points. But I'll know, and it matters to me.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
I get why people like to hate on Rouge, but I recently flew it for the first time SFO-YVR in Premium Rouge. On the return, I was on United in "First".

The biggest difference? Yes, United had a bigger seat with more legroom (marginally).

But on Rouge I got a full meal! On United I got chips and bananas.

On rouge I was given an Ipad to watch entertainment if I didn't have my own. On United you require a wi fi enabled plane and their app.

So hate on Rouge for whatever reasons, but the product isn't as bad I thought it was going to be...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:49 pm

Why is Rouge a leisure airline--It charges the same as AC so it should be the same. I suppose they provide a lesser quality of service and that is why it is a leisure airline.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ac777
Why is Rouge a leisure airline--It charges the same as AC so it should be the same.
Is there proof of this? Besides anecdotal evidence which I have some of my own (I wasn't paying attention before, but with Rouge I've seen YVRLAX wildly low pricing) there is little to back it up. ACs RASM drop earlier this year seemed to suggest that Rouge DOES cost passengers less.

Besides, this whole mainline prices argument stinks. They weren't really mainline prices if they couldn't support mainline service profitably. Rather than viewing it as paying the same as ML to get ACr, perhaps all those years AC operated transitioned routes to the Caribbean, LAS, MCO passengers were paying WS/WG/TS/ACr prices for mainline.

Except for Flex and above fares, mainline is often competitive against most carriers with tango prices (which I bet are the bulk of Y seats). AC clearly doesn't care if tango pax don't feel they are getting as much value as before, and if there were enough J/Y/B/Flex purchasers to care about losing on the route - well it wouldn't have gone Rouge now would it @:-)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by BostonMark
So hate on Rouge for whatever reasons, but the product isn't as bad I thought it was going to be...
I guess when you compare it to other airline's First class, maybe Premium Rouge isn't that bad, but when you compare it to Air Canada's "First" class (i.e. Business/Executive), for which it costs the same, it sucks. And in economy, it's far below.

Yeah, if I was prepared to fly Premium Rouge all the time, I wouldn't be nearly as upset, or if Premium Rouge didn't cost the same (in points or cash) as AC Business. I find it hard to accept flying Premium Rouge when I know what that money on that route used to buy for me.

Originally Posted by ac777
Why is Rouge a leisure airline--It charges the same as AC so it should be the same. I suppose they provide a lesser quality of service and that is why it is a leisure airline.
Because they've chosen to market it that way.

"Leisure airline" is just a marketing move. It means nothing in reality.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BostonMark
I think this pretty clearly reflects what you read in here over and over again: "If you're not in economy, Rouge is fine (or even good)."

Problem is, many of us fly economy to the USA out of YVR.

...and those of us in that club fly the competition instead.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"So hate on Rouge for whatever reasons, but the product isn't as bad I thought it was going to be... "

I agree--experience was good but the seat is a dealbreaker for me--will fly UA up front (or even in the back on transborder sun destinations) when I have a choice, even if it means a connect. Once Rouge gets better Premium seats, I'll be back I'm sure.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The AC app for Android just got support for rouge IFE. I guess I'll be trying it out on Saturday.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The AC app for Android just got support for rouge IFE. I guess I'll be trying it out on Saturday.
The app was updated? Has hell really frozen over?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The app was updated? Has hell really frozen over?
And it lets me load and save flights

I'm having an appgasm.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And it lets me load and save flights

I'm having an appgasm.

appgasm

LOLOLOL.. That is a FANTASTIC new word (for me at least )
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
I think this pretty clearly reflects what you read in here over and over again: "If you're not in economy, Rouge is fine (or even good)."

Problem is, many of us fly economy to the USA out of YVR.

...and those of us in that club fly the competition instead.
You know....many of us fly out of airports, that are not YVR, as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.