Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Here's a thought for the ~4,000 people on FT who can't figure out why Rouge exists and how it is successful... Log out and actually talk to a human who doesn't have a corporate Amex.
Perhaps true. Like SuperAngryPenguin said, time will tell if Rouge - in its current form - is truly a success for Air Canada. The short term results sometimes brought up here are nothing more than, well, short term results.

AC sure seems to be alienating a lot of those 4,000 with Rouge, and a lot are voting with their wallet. But, yes, the infrequent travelers and one-vacation-per-year fliers probably won't walk away from AC because of nasty seat pitches -- and increased capacities resulting from Rouge are still being filled up with those folks. Tickets are being purchased, but many frequent and business customers are walking away.

So, in the long term, will that make Rouge a success?

Or will alienating a good number of previously loyal, bread-and-butter frequent/business customers end up hurting mainline AC (i.e. not just Rouge). I have my opinion, you have yours.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
I agree with yyckerr. I’m of the opinion that Rouge is here to stay and will even expand operations but without the people who are complaining about it here on FT. The people who spend enough time on planes to spend the additional time on FT know that it doesn’t have to be this way and also know that there are options.

The once a year vacation flyer typically sees Rouge as the new normal and is more focused on a low ticket price and the vacation than how things might otherwise be. After the furor over people being rouged, AC have won the PR war with those crazy hats and IMHO a less than completely honest ad campaign

I’ve decided Rouge is not for me so I’ll not be flying them again. I’ve also decided there are better ways to spent travel dollars than AC mainline. Other people are going to fly Rouge, complain its "a bit of a squeeze" then forget about it and fly them again the next year if the ticket is the cheapest.

It’s how Chrysler sell cars and McDonalds sell whatever it is they sell.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Jan 4, 2015 at 11:53 pm Reason: syntax
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

My theory -- Rouge is attracting customers based primarily on those two benefits: non-stop flights and frequency of flights.

It ain't price. And it sure ain't comfort or customer experience.
I agree -- in fact, if it WERE price, it wouldn't tick me off so much. Tell people it's a budget airline and offer it at a budget price, but don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. (i.e. don't sell me the product at the same price and try to tell me it's an equivalent product and I should be thrilled to partake of that inferior product for that price.)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
I flew Rouge once from CUN and NEVER again!...unless there is no other way to get there....even then I would reconsider.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:21 am

Perhaps true. Like SuperAngryPenguin said, time will tell if Rouge - in its current form - is truly a success for Air Canada. The short term results sometimes brought up here are nothing more than, well, short term results.
So, in the long term, will that make Rouge a success?
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
This is why most of us are waiting 5 or so years before we see if this is yet another failed corporate strategy.
Almost 300 pages of debates about Rouge's success and projected ETA of its doom. I see we're now up to 5 years out before the clouds will part and a decision will come down from above whether Rouge can finally be labelled a "success".

Can any of the prognosticators share what Rouge's goals were? That will surely help us understand the reasoning behind the time frames, the predictions, and the confidence assuring the rest of us Rouge cannot possibly be labelled a success at this point.
No way, too soon.

TS sure would label Rouge a success. WS would likely label Rouge a success. The people employed by Rouge would label it a success. The passengers flying to destinations long not served by AC might label it a success. Alaskan airlines might label Rouge a success. The ULCC struggling to get traction/financing in this market might label Rouge a success. AC's shareholders would definitely label it a success
But not here. Come back in 2020 to get the final FT verdict ( Jan 5, 2020 verdict is subject to further delays, of course)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:18 am

Chiropractors across the country are calling it a success.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by SurveyHand
Chiropractors across the country are calling it a success.
As are knee surgeons.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Almost 300 pages of debates about Rouge's success and projected ETA of its doom. I see we're now up to 5 years out before the clouds will part and a decision will come down from above whether Rouge can finally be labelled a "success".

Can any of the prognosticators share what Rouge's goals were? That will surely help us understand the reasoning behind the time frames, the predictions, and the confidence assuring the rest of us Rouge cannot possibly be labelled a success at this point.
No way, too soon.

TS sure would label Rouge a success. WS would likely label Rouge a success. The people employed by Rouge would label it a success. The passengers flying to destinations long not served by AC might label it a success. Alaskan airlines might label Rouge a success. The ULCC struggling to get traction/financing in this market might label Rouge a success. AC's shareholders would definitely label it a success
But not here. Come back in 2020 to get the final FT verdict ( Jan 5, 2020 verdict is subject to further delays, of course)

...just for the record, I am not a fan as I hate it when companies play these smoke & mirror games

Success can be measured and celebrated in so many ways and it can of course be customized for almost any situation with the right witchery! I think IMHO we saw as F/F the failures of ZIP and Tango and see the many similarities except for the branding and look which is better with Rouge, and they did spend some money on the product.

Time will tell of course, as already stated is there enough annual and seldom travelers to fill the seats, if so it will survive and be a success. If more and more people walk away and the planes fly empty, is it because of the lack of demand for the product or the lack of demand for the route. AGAIN will the route or the brand be the problem?

We will see as time moves on

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Jan 5, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:02 pm

In my circle of infrequent traveller friends rouge is well known to be something to avoid. It's what Air Trashcan used to be. Everyone used to talk about how bad Air Trashcan was but they've improved and now rouge is the new trashcan. It's the never fly or only once kind of an airline. So yeah I'm sure that will work out well.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by maniac78
In my circle of infrequent traveller friends rouge is well known to be something to avoid. It's what Air Trashcan used to be. Everyone used to talk about how bad Air Trashcan was but they've improved and now rouge is the new trashcan. It's the never fly or only once kind of an airline. So yeah I'm sure that will work out well.
My friends and family have heard the negative press on rouge, and talked to me about it. They're not in J, so they don't care about the current 319 product or PY only 763s. In Y, it just comes down to streaming IFE and pitch. So I just council them to spend a bit extra and buy a preferred seat.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: AC Elite 50K
Originally Posted by maniac78
And ultimately like Air Trashcan they'll fly them anyway because it was cheap...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:32 am

I flew Rouge twice in J (the new "Y"), but would not even consider flying in Y. And yes, I would pay more to fly another airline with reasonable seat pitch. I went to Europe a year ago and checked cheap flights on Finnair and found the seat pitch was 28"!!! This, on a 5 hour flight is torture. Instead, flew Iceland Air and had a wonderful flight (albeit with the big boss in y).
The moral of the story, is that MANY people will do similar rather than fly Rouge. So much for the new business model.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by LittleYHZ
And ultimately like Air Trashcan they'll fly them anyway because it was cheap...
But again, Rouge is not cheap.

It's low-end discount carrier comfort, but at real airline prices.

On cross-border routes, in my experience, Rouge typically prices out the same as or higher than WS, DL, AS and even UA.

If someone is choosing Rouge based on lowest price . . . they must be doing something very, very wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: *$ Green
But again, Rouge is not cheap.

It's low-end discount carrier comfort, but at real airline prices.

On cross-border routes, in my experience, Rouge typically prices out the same as or higher than WS, DL, AS and even UA.

If someone is choosing Rouge based on lowest price . . . they must be doing something very, very wrong.
On the reference I was giving before (friends flying on rouge and their reason for choosing it) I should've added that by "cheapest", I meant "cheapest direct" flight.

I have friends that would not even take a $200 rebate to route YUL-JFK-CDG instead of YUL-CDG. Now, I know I would not take that routing either, but coming from people nickle and diming air travel, it's pretty telling what the value of direct flights can have.

So I think the value maximizing equation is a lot more complex than just price, but there must be a sweet spot where direct trumps cost savings for the average consumer.

So, if (again, just for example) YUL-CDG direct on rouge is $100 more expensive, people will still buy it instead of routing through an airport even if it is very close, and because of that, rouge becomes the cheapest most "valuable" alternative.

I recently found a routing for a friend, for the same price as her direct routing, but going through YYZ (from YUL), and getting PY instead of Y, and they refused because "wtv, it's not direct on the days I prefer".

The normal consumer and the FF consumer operate on such different standards that unless FTers put themselves in the mind of normal "uninformed" plebs, they will never understand why rouge is here, nor why it is successful.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:12 am

Totally agree!

I'm happy connecting -- "direct" doesn't always mean best flight option for me, particularly if it involves a choice of Rouge vs legroom.

But I'm surprised at how many people I've talked with - mostly infrequent travellers - who'd never even consider doing it. They'd only consider non-stops as 'valid' options.

Even so, I've found that Rouge never beats WS on price on their three non-stop routes ex YYC: LAX, PHX and LAS. Prices are often identical, and - if there's s difference - WS will be slightly cheaper. (And they have more legroom.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.