Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
The normal consumer and the FF consumer operate on such different standards that unless FTers put themselves in the mind of normal "uninformed" plebs, they will never understand why rouge is here, nor why it is successful.
True. But for me, that leads back to the big questions about Rouge.

Why would an airline alienate it's FF customers so badly ... in order to pick up more 'infrequent traveller' business. Particularly when doing so could also hurt FF demand for the mainline product? And when FF customers provide the highest margin revenue for an airline?

Could Rouge not have been created so as to achieve the goal of reducing cost on lower margin routes -- without creating the nasty leg conditions in Y that are driving FF customers to competitors?

Why cater to the "uninformed plebs" when doing so will likely hurt your relationship with (and revenue from) existing, frequent customers?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Why would an airline alienate it's FF customers so badly ... in order to pick up more 'infrequent traveller' business. Particularly when doing so could also hurt FF demand for the mainline product? And when FF customers provide the highest margin revenue for an airline?

Could Rouge not have been created so as to achieve the goal of reducing cost on lower margin routes -- without creating the nasty leg conditions in Y that are driving FF customers to competitors?

Why cater to the "uninformed plebs" when doing so will likely hurt your relationship with (and revenue from) existing, frequent customers?

The way the question has been position assume knowledge of this outcome. I truly do not think AC actually anticipated the backlash perceived or real of Rough.

I think when this project was under development they thought they scored a home run and marketing certainly I think anyways did a good job with the brand, but then the back lash because of the reality of the product failed to meet expectations. I truly think AC was taken aback with the outcome. Then again, will all this simply blow away and be a distant memory and Rouge is the standard for others to follow?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:37 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Maybe because its frequent flyers are not as profitable?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
The way the question has been position assume knowledge of this outcome. I truly do not think AC actually anticipated the backlash perceived or real of Rough.

I think when this project was under development they thought they scored a home run and marketing certainly I think anyways did a good job with the brand, but then the back lash because of the reality of the product failed to meet expectations. I truly think AC was taken aback with the outcome.
I agree that they were surprised. Talk about having your head in the sand, LOL.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: 35 K
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Well I don't think you will be fine (however, being in a preferred seat will definitely help with leg room) but you will survive. You (I can almost guarantee) will find the seat uncomfortable . . .

Let us know when you fly your first leg!
Well I finally made it to LAS 20 hours late. For the Rouge portion AC got me. I had booked a preferred seat but with 3 missed connections ended up in Row 27. I would like to give a fair as possible opinion of Rouge.
FA's were pleasant and helpful, although the canned speeches they gave seemed to lack sincerity.
The Aircraft was clean and seemed in good repair.
The seats reminded me of the seats on the Beachcraft 1900, Okay for 2 hours at the most. I was lucky that I had all 3 seats to myself because the man in front of me reclined his seat and my knees were already touching. I would say if you are over 6 feet you will find the regular economy tight. My inseam is 32 inches and I just fit with no room for movement.
I did find it strange that there was at least 40 to 50 empty seats on this trip.
The IFE did work on my Android with the AC app. I found the selection some what limited but for most occasional flyers it should suffice.
Overall not as bad as I feared (due to 2 extra seats) but would not use for a 5 or 6 hour flight.
I took some pics but I can seem to insert them.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by yvr76
My friends and family have heard the negative press on rouge, and talked to me about it. They're not in J, so they don't care about the current 319 product or PY only 763s. In Y, it just comes down to streaming IFE and pitch. So I just council them to spend a bit extra and buy a preferred seat.
This is pretty well it for me and lot of people I know now
It's only use is NA or Caribbean trip where no other airline is direct or a reasonable flight time. And we pay the extra for the seats with bigger pitch (typically the 763 rows 12-15 ?). It's 35" and for 4 hrs with an iPad and our own food it's very manageable
Would never consider it in Y unless rouge plus was available. If it's the 319 and rouge plus is not available I'll fly another way, unless no other airline flies direct which to a NA city out of YYZ is almost never. Or say MBJ for a vacation couple times a year in the winter where the 763 in the first few rows of Y is 35" and 2 across.
And I'd take 35" seat pitch and 2 across over WS or sunwing any day !!!!
As a new mainline NA service for most frequent travelers it's total rubbish but I'm guessing they know exactly who is flying and could care less

Last edited by aircrashsurvivor; Jan 7, 2015 at 5:54 am
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Planning a trip to Costa Rica and must avoid Rouge as A319 for 6'2" does not compute. Looks like a connection on Copa is the best option.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Presto
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Planning a trip to Costa Rica and must avoid Rouge as A319 for 6'2" does not compute. Looks like a connection on Copa is the best option.
...or perhaps experience the competition Rouge is attempting to benchmark!

Sunwing

Do send us a trip report!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Why would an airline alienate it's FF customers so badly ... in order to pick up more 'infrequent traveller' business.
Because 'infrequent travellers' are much cheaper to service.

You don't have to provide free checked bags or lounges. You don't have to provide upgrades. You don't have to pay when they go into a lounge operated by a competitor. You can charge them for perks that FFers expect for free, like seat selection and 'preferred seats.'

It's pretty obvious that AC's strategy over the past couple of years is to cater to -

- The 100K+ plus flier on Latitude and Exec First tickets
- The traveller on cheapo Tango fares

Seems to me they want everyone in the middle to go away.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:06 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by gglave
Because 'infrequent travellers' are much cheaper to service.

You don't have to provide free checked bags or lounges. You don't have to provide upgrades. You don't have to pay when they go into a lounge operated by a competitor. You can charge them for perks that FFers expect for free, like seat selection and 'preferred seats.'

It's pretty obvious that AC's strategy over the past couple of years is to cater to -

- The 100K+ plus flier on Latitude and Exec First tickets
- The traveller on cheapo Tango fares

Seems to me they want everyone in the middle to go away.
I was with you until the last line.

They don't want us to go away, but we are lower on their priority list. That being said, we don't have many other viable options, so if I were them, I'd do the same.

What does this have to do with Rouge, again?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Traveling from AB, your best bet is likely UA. They have good connections to Liberia and San Jose via IAH. Went there recently and the UA routings were much easier than via YYZ with AC.

If you do go rouge, you'd be OK if you pay extra for row 4, but agreed that at 6'2" rouge minus isn't a reasonable option.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I definitely would go on UA via IAH and book it in F. Usually not that much more expensive for a P fare but you get the leg room. Food will be nothing to write home about but I am sure is worth grousing about on the UA Forum!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr

I think when this project was under development they thought they scored a home run and marketing certainly I think anyways did a good job with the brand, but then the back lash because of the reality of the product failed to meet expectations. I truly think AC was taken aback with the outcome. Then again, will all this simply blow away and be a distant memory and Rouge is the standard for others to follow?
Agreed, once again failing to understand what motivates their customers' buying behaviour (Marketing 101). Surely, it would have been cheaper to run a few focus groups before the launch of Rouge rather than changing out all the biz class seating when they realize what a miserable failure they were. Yes, they're fixing it, but at what cost?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Agreed, once again failing to understand what motivates their customers' buying behaviour (Marketing 101). Surely, it would have been cheaper to run a few focus groups before the launch of Rouge rather than changing out all the biz class seating when they realize what a miserable failure they were. Yes, they're fixing it, but at what cost?
This was a union limitation. Once they renegotiated that, they could place true domestic style J.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Have we ever heard what this union limitation was (which union? pilots?) and why they (the union) would possibly have stuck it in there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.