Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:08 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by alexbc
Have you? If so, how tall are you?
Yes, I have.

6'0" 195 lbs.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:10 pm

Then WHY they don't list it? They say it's 22" including arm rests, they don't list ANY other seat like that... I was just on an LH flight from FRA-BCN, it's the same 3-3 seating on A320 and they're listed as 17-18" , and it was decently comfortable for the similar distance as SFO-YVR, which is 10 times worse on Rouge...
I don't know why they omit it, but it is 18". LH is exact same seat width and 1" more pitch than Rouge.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:11 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Agreed, and I'd 100% do United, IF this year they didn't make us do at least 50% AC metal...
I'm not sure where you're based. Maybe flying UA & MP is the better programme for you? If you are in Canada, then the minimum metal requirements do not apply to you. If you are in the US, then AC's minimum milage requirement is 25% (I believe)

I'm not saying you have to agree with Rouge. I'm not saying you have to fly Rouge. I'm just asking if, on a flight with an in-air time of less than 2 hours, is Rouge that bad? If so, then you have your answer. Looks like you need to change FFP.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by yvr76
- Slimline seats? All competition (including mainline and WestJet) are moving to this

- Seat pitch? You get free Rouge+ as an E50K. Although there are only 6 Y+ seats on the 319, so last minute bookings may cause issues

- J? The 319s will get proper 2x2 seating later this year.
Every airline is going to slimline seats ... it makes absolute economic sense.

My main issue with Rouge is the seat pitch of those slimline seats. On every other carrier I've flown, I still fit. On Rouge, no. That's a deal breaker, and the R+ seats (a paltry 6 per aircraft) can be tough to come by, especially if you want more than a single seat or don't want the middle. The availability of R+, IMO, doesn't make up for the bone crushing pitch on the rest of the plane.

Second for me is the quality of those seats. I've sat in lots of slimline seats on other carriers, and rouge's are the most uncomfortable that I've experienced. As others have discussed here, there's (1) a "hammocking" effect and (2) the lack of hard shell means you'll feel the person behind you for the entire trip.

I have no issues with Rouge J, or with IFE, or with the cheap-n-cheerful cabin crew, or the jaunty hats. If Rouge had even nominally better pitch across the cabin (ie if adults within normal height ranges could fit), I'd be fine with it.

Count me as one of those who'll happily connect at a U.S. hub to avoid it.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I have no issues with Rouge J, or with IFE, or with the cheap-n-cheerful cabin crew, or the jaunty hats. If Rouge had even nominally better pitch across the cabin (ie if adults within normal height ranges could fit), I'd be fine with it.

Count me as one of those who'll happily connect at a U.S. hub to avoid it.
Sort of agree--but better pitch won't help for me as Rouge in those seats is still uncomfortable. But new J is coming by fall I hope!

In the meantime I have been pricing out flights YYC-PHX as one example where I can usually get cheaper First Class on US (debatable as to where this fits on the spectrum but seats are good at least) than econo on Rouge. That makes it a no brainer and they have more flights and US is also non-stop. After I use up the last of my sun pass, I will look elsewhere--I have to subject my spouse to Rouge at least once so she understands why I dislike them so much (and her back is way more sensitive than mine--I can sleep in the back of the old crew cab trucks with side seats folded down and a couple of briefcases in between and a light foam over top!)
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I can say that as someone who is 5'9-5'10 my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me, YYC-LAX. Again for me it was a bit uncomfortable, I had 1 drink and that made it nicer, on a short flight it was bearable. Not ideal though. Still interested in checking out a rouge 767 to at least sit in/try out the seats.

I totally agree with them Rouging YYZ-SJO though. As a former employee, I can tell you the A319s were oversold almost daily. It was nearly impossible to go standby. Would it have made sense for a 767? I guess not because they never bothered to do it. I would think that with the cost to run Rouge flights they can afford to have some empty seats where they may not be able to on mainline.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PLeblond
You've answered your own question, indirectly. Everyone is cheaper (with connections). People are willing to pay a premium for a direct flight, but probably not enough of a premium to cover the costs of mainline.

Also, Its not ANYONE and ONLY. But if there were enough premium fare business travellers then the route would not have been rouged.
Originally Posted by gglave
Bingo.

As I said in the giant Rouge thread, it's no surprise to me that YVR-SFO and YVR-LAX are low-yield.
The problem I found on that route was it was so variable.

I've flown it where I was the only one in J. But I've also flown it as SE on an M fare where I couldn't upgrade, which means J was full of JCDZYB fares. And there were many times I did get the upgrade at the gate (again, SE on M fare), but it was J1-2, so it wasn't like the cabin was all upgrades from cheap fares.

I can't speak for Y fares though. But as a result of all this, I've directed some colleagues paid J flights onto United.

Regardless, with the 2-2 seating going in J, things change for me, and I'll stop recommending United on the route.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I can say that as someone who is 5'9-5'10 my knees were jammed into the seat in front of me, YYC-LAX. Again for me it was a bit uncomfortable, I had 1 drink and that made it nicer, on a short flight it was bearable. Not ideal though. Still interested in checking out a rouge 767 to at least sit in/try out the seats.

I totally agree with them Rouging YYZ-SJO though. As a former employee, I can tell you the A319s were oversold almost daily. It was nearly impossible to go standby. Would it have made sense for a 767? I guess not because they never bothered to do it. I would think that with the cost to run Rouge flights they can afford to have some empty seats where they may not be able to on mainline.
Haven't had the chance to try Rouge in Y yet, but we're the same height and the thought of 29" pitch makes me cringe.

I recently flew one of the new WS 738's with the slimline seats. They didn't change the density of the plane, and the increase in leg room is noticeable. Too bad WS will eventually reconfigure the fleet to fit extra rows and take back the extra leg room.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
My thread about YVR-SFO was moved here... at any rate, this whole Rouge crap, PLUS the fact that AC needs 50% metal to give me their status is now completely screwing me up. Long haul for me is a mix of AC/LH/ANA, and was counting on US flight to make the 50% metal, now the only way to do that is to go Rouge, which for a guy my height (6'3) is simply NOT an option! There's only 6 seats for Rouge+ which is not gauranteed either, so it's pretty much a lose-lose-lose situation.

I really didn't realize this before flying this January on my biggest flight segments over 30K miles, otherwise I would have switched to United in a heart beat! I used a GPU pass from United and upgraded my LH flight, something that I could have NEVER DONE with AC. Oh well, you live and learn.

2015 is my last year on AC, bye bye... BIG MISTAKE not to do that 2 weeks ago, was too busy working didn't pay attention. Damn it!

PS. AC is very short sighted, they're doing well financially catering to the cattle class, but slowly are losing their business clients, it may not show-up immediately in their revenue, but will in 1-2yrs time, almost EVERYONE at work is talking about this, and ALL are re-calculating which program would be best to move to. One colleague just switched to OneWorld, as he had to do a cpl of SIN flights, and couldn't possibly fit in the 777HD, so he switched, did Cathay to Asia and couldn't be happier! Another colleague switched to United, and now with the promotion, is getting like 80K miles on one Asian trip alone! I missed the boat...

Last edited by alexbc; Jan 19, 2015 at 5:52 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Airlines also price connections based on what they think they can sell each segment individually for. Just because there is an A-B-C-D connecting flight option instead of A-B-D or A-D doesn't automatically mean it'll be more expensive. Depends on the routing, day of the week, season, load forecasts.

Everyone knows there is business travel between YVR and SFO, what the common conclusion has become is YVR area businesses base business travel on lowest-Y and less on designated airlines/Flex AC type of arrangements. If AC mainline E90 was $1 more than WS/UA, they would have to book the lowest cost option.

Rouge gives AC the cost structure to profitable offer lowest fare to compete for business travel - even if that isn't what the business traveller necessarily wants.
That is absolutely not true! Most company policies have a cheapest + margin policy, it's usually between $100-300 margin, which for shorter west coast flights is basically the difference in fare between cheapest and most expensive. Plus, most policies is just manager approval.

After Rouge, literally ALL of my company's California flight have switched to United, period! The only challenge is if you're on AC program, you need to make 50% metal, which then makes moving to United even more attractive.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
That is absolutely not true! Most company policies have a cheapest + margin policy, it's usually between $100-300 margin.
Ours is a $50 margin. (technically, although most FF employees ignore it...)
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ours is a $50 margin. (technically, although most FF employees ignore it...)
Send me your resume
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Send me your resume
I've been looking all morning Unfortunately my skill set is very very unique, so it's difficult finding a place with your employer as the headcount is probably 1/2 for the entire org (for my specialty)
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I've been looking all morning Unfortunately my skill set is very very unique, so it's difficult finding a place with your employer as the headcount is probably 1/2 for the entire org (for my specialty)
It's ok. I will send my resume in your stead.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It's ok. I will send my resume in your stead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.